Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 08:30:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:31:18 AM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Lake Sammamish Sunday June 11  (Read 7106 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I have to scout a Seattle area lake for an upcoming interview.  I was thinking Lake Sammamish would be a good place for a shot at a potluck of fish.  I'm going to hit it Sunday.  Anyone know anything about this lake?  Anyone game to do a little scouting with me?

-Allen

pjrflyguy

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Hey Allen-

I fished Sammanish 2 weeks ago  and was concentrating on the south end of the lake where Issaquah Creek flows into the lake.  I was spotting a lot of fish with my FF in 12-30 ft of water, but I didn't manage any hook-ups.  I was testing out some concept flies that I had tied the night before(that was my excuse dejour anyway...), but I didn't see any of the guys in the bass boats hookin up either.   Launch at either the boat launch ($5.00 fee) or portage your gear from the State Park parking area (never tried this option).  The link below describes some of the fishing areas, that are pretty well known:

http://www.lakesamm.com/lakefacts/fishingspots.asp

I have a copy of one of those "fishing Maps" which has a little more detail as well.  I live just a few miles from the launch, and would like to scope it out wilth you. Perhaps this would be a opportunity for me to demo a different YAK? No problem if not-  I'll just drag my WS Ride out.  Let me know when you are thinking of launching and I will make sure that I have my WAF.....

Pete

charliefl66

• Perch
Hey Allen
Don't know the lake but I'm willing to give it a try.  What time and other details can you give me?  The wife have given me the OK so let me know.
Take care Charles :)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Pete, I'd love for you to join us.  Charles, you too.  And I think Fishin-T will join as well.  He knows a little more about bass fishing that I do.  I'm plan of trying a few different approaches for bass, trout, crappie or whatever we can get to bite.

I am planning on a morning launch as morning is best for me.  Let me know what works for you all and we'll just do it.  South or north, I'm game for either.

-Allen

Fishin-T

• Lingcod
  • It's called a "Slow Loris"
Hey guys!

Yeah, so far I'm counting on being out there.  Hey, when Polepole mentioned that I'm familiar with bass he's refering to my telling him about some amount of experience with LARGEmouth bass.  I've caught just a very few smallmouths in my day but maybe this could help all of us:  http://www.smallmouths.com/article/more-bass.php   :)

It was also interesting to run into this over there:  http://www.smallmouths.com/kayak-fishing/  8)

Fishin-T
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 07:00:31 PM by Fishin-T »
If at first you don't succeed....  maybe skydiving is just not for you.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Pete,

Where do you launch?

Bring your yak.  I won't be able to bring another one for you to try because I'll have Fishin-T's and my kayak with me and that's all I can carry.  However, you're welcome to five my Prowler 15 a test drive.

-Allen

pjrflyguy

• Perch

For fishing the south end of the lake, the launch point is either the the boat ramp which opens at dawn and costs $5 per vehicle, or you can park at the State Park which opens at 6:30AM and is free.  Here is a link to the State park...

http://www.parks.wa.gov/parkpage.asp?selectedpark=Lake%20Sammamish

For fishing the North end of the lake, I am sure that you can launch from Idylwood Park.  I haven't launched from here, but I believe the parking area is just a 100 yards or so from the shoreline.  Here is some info:

http://www.ci.redmond.wa.us/insidecityhall/parksrec/parks/idylwood.asp
http://maps.citysearch.com/location/10759481?

I have heard that if you want to fish for Largemouth- fish the north end of the lake, for Smallmouth- fish the south.....I open to either as I have the morning open and am looking forward to doing some bassin!!

Pete

Fishin-T

• Lingcod
Polepole, Pete,

Hey, if you guys want to bring one of Allen's X-factors we could get that to happen if Allen can find a way to reconnect me with my Prowler before Sat. night.  Sure hope that's working out well for you guys this morning BTW.  Over on D. Pass, that is.

I don't have a preference for species here.  Which ever you guys like.  I'm suspecting that large mouths are going to be easier to locate though.  I didn't realize that you had them over here on the west side of the state.  I was thinking that they were more of a Pot-holes kinda thing.  On the other hand, if we catch just one small mouth that we like then there are bound to be others just like him near by as they tend to run in schools.  Either way, I'll be going with what I know... I'll be using plastic worms almost exclusively.

Anybody know what constitutes a limit?  Or maybe you guys prefer catch and release mode.  What ever is the going thing.

Fishin-T

pjrflyguy

• Perch
Allen and T

No worries on a spare boat for me-  I'll consider it BYOB (substitue boat for beer ;D), so I'll bring my boat. 

Limits as per the current regulations.....

Bass- daily limit is 5; must be smaller than 12" or larger than 17"; only 1 may be retained larger than 17"
Trout- Daily limit is 5

Interesting link on recent activity for Lake Sammamish...

http://washingtonlakes.com/ReportList.aspx?id=466

Pete

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Interesting.   The latest report was for good trout fishing.  Might have to troll around while looking for bass.

Fishin-T, I'll probably just C&R the bass.  I may just Catch and Eat the trout.

-Allen

pjrflyguy

• Perch
Hey guys-

Any thoughts on which side of the lake you want to fish on Sunday(North vs South)?  Let me know where and what time.

Later-

Pete

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Let me propose the south side as I think the trout opps are better there.  This is a recon mission for me so I'll try for trout and bass, whichever we can figure out.  I'm open to any time, whatever is convenient for you all.  Launch from the state park and avoid the fees.

-Allen

pjrflyguy

• Perch
We may want to fish the north end on Sunday, as I have discovered that this weekend is the 10th annual Tastin and Racin event at Lake Sammamish.

http://www.tastinracin.com/

Doesn't start unitl 10AM, but there may be Hydros warming up earlier than this, and there will most likely be a crowd in the area.  Let me know what you guys want to do.

Pete

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
So what kind of fight does a hydro hooked on a surface lure put up?

North it is!!!  Idylwood Park ready to launch at 8.   Unless someone thinks there is a reason to be there earlier.

-Allen

Fishin-T

• Lingcod
No reasons for anything earlier here.  That's working for me. :)

Fishin-T

anything