Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:45:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:38:44 PM]

[Today at 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Upgrading Gear - Bigger!  (Read 2114 times)

SamM

• Lingcod
  • McDowellHome
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
I have an okay selection of fishing gear for the small stuff - worked great last year as we got started kayak fishing - my kids and I caught a nice assortment of trout and bass!  Now, I'd like to start putting together some gear for targeting some salmon and possibly the local sturgeon.  Obviously cost is always a factor, and for me, getting something to start out with is always the biggest hurdle - upgrading in the future is easier once I know what I do/don't like with the starter setup (which hopefully makes a good backup in the future).

Looking at the latest Fisherman's Sportsman's Show ad, I see they have some nice deals on rods/reels that I've seen recommended here on previous threads.  Before going out and buying, thought I'd check to make sure I'm heading in the right direction...

Looks like Fisherman's has the Abu Garcia 55/65 00/01 C4 reels coming up on sale, along with the Berkley IM8 Salmon/Steelhead rods.  If one were to pair a 6501 C4 with one of the IM8s, what would you look for in a rod that would likely be focused on spring salmon, with possibility of sturgeon as well - would an 8'6" XHD work?  Looks like the combo could be had for about $150 this week...

Thanks,
Sam
got stop wishing,
     got to go fishing...
          - Jimmy Buffett

Hobie Oasis, Outback, i11s

• Chris
  • True Life: I'm Addicted To Kayak Fishing
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
I have a 6501 and I have gone through two of them. They don't like the salt or I just have bad luck.
1st Place 2015 Chinook Showdown 
8th Place 2014 AOTD
1st Place 2013 AOTD                        
"Everyone should believe in something,  I believe I'll go fishing."

Sponsorship and Support:
Waxer's Surf Shop
Hobie Fishing Team
Lancer Jigs
Pro-Cure Scents

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
8.5ft Im8 in 15-50 medium heavy will do fine. Will work great for springers, medium duty stugeon*, bottom fish/lings.

The abu's are basic but work horse reels that work very well and are easy to fix/maintain.  Fill it with 30 or 50 braid.

*For sturgeon a lighter weight rod will outfish heavier rods every time, unless heavy lead is needed.

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I have a 6501 and I have gone through two of them. They don't like the salt or I just have bad luck.

Salt will kill most reels if they don't get a little love at the end of the day.  I flush and oil after each use and break them down once a year for complete cleaning/tune ups. Gives me about 3-5 years before they get retired to the parts box.

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I have an okay selection of fishing gear for the small stuff - worked great last year as we got started kayak fishing - my kids and I caught a nice assortment of trout and bass!  Now, I'd like to start putting together some gear for targeting some salmon and possibly the local sturgeon.  Obviously cost is always a factor, and for me, getting something to start out with is always the biggest hurdle - upgrading in the future is easier once I know what I do/don't like with the starter setup (which hopefully makes a good backup in the future).

Looking at the latest Fisherman's Sportsman's Show ad, I see they have some nice deals on rods/reels that I've seen recommended here on previous threads.  Before going out and buying, thought I'd check to make sure I'm heading in the right direction...

Looks like Fisherman's has the Abu Garcia 55/65 00/01 C4 reels coming up on sale, along with the Berkley IM8 Salmon/Steelhead rods.  If one were to pair a 6501 C4 with one of the IM8s, what would you look for in a rod that would likely be focused on spring salmon, with possibility of sturgeon as well - would an 8'6" XHD work?  Looks like the combo could be had for about $150 this week...

Thanks,
Sam
Hey Sam-
The buzz Ramsey IM8 on page 4 is also a really nice salmon rod. I've been happy with my C4s and they work well for salmon, sturgeon, and bottom fish. As Mr. PP said, fishing a lighter rod for Sturgeon is nice for feeling their light bites.

My go to rod for Sturgeon and bottom fish is a 7'6" Okuma Celilo in 10-30, 3/4-2 1/2 ounce. I think the model number is CE-C-762Ha. It might be a bit heavy for salmon but it will certainly work. They're also cheap! They run about 45 bucks new at bi-mart and you can often find them for 25-35 bucks on sale or clearance. I have a couple if you ever want to swing by and borrow one.

Noah

sherminator

• Salmon
I bought a C3 6501 and put it on 8'6" Berkley IM8 XH for all-around duty on the recommendation of several experienced yakkers, and I bet half the guys here have run an almost identical rig at one time or another. Got it for the same $150 give or take. You will be able to get fish in your boat just fine with that setup.
15x tournament loser
2011 Hobie Oasis (yellow)
2014 Hobie Revo  (red)
2017 Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler XL

Salmonyella

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
Where did you see the Fisherman's Sportsman's Show ad?  Their website says 'current ads not available,' and I didn't see one in the paper this last Sunday (although I may just have missed it).  Did you find it in their store, or somewhere else?  Thanks.

SamM

• Lingcod
  • McDowellHome
Where did you see the Fisherman's Sportsman's Show ad?  Their website says 'current ads not available,' and I didn't see one in the paper this last Sunday (although I may just have missed it).  Did you find it in their store, or somewhere else?  Thanks.

I'm on their email/spam list - try this link to the PDF version of the ad:

http://fishermansmarineoutdoor.createsend1.com/t/r-l-uhykvk-ykhiikjyty-s/

Or this should be the more direct link:

http://www.fishermans-marine.com/ads/pdf/2013-01-Sportsmens.pdf

Sam
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 06:41:24 AM by SamM »
got stop wishing,
     got to go fishing...
          - Jimmy Buffett

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
I've got a few IM7/8 XH rods and like them.  I have them paired with Abu 6601 C4s and they make good all around salmon/ling/flounder rods. 

For sturgeon and halibut I've gone a bit more hefty with Ugly Stik Tigers and Abu BG7001HS reels, though I've yet to have sturgeon or halibut success.

I've had my Abus for a number of years and rinse them aggressively after EVERY use, then every winter/spring tear them down, clean, and relube.  The cleaning ritual starts me into the fishing groove.
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

SamM

• Lingcod
  • McDowellHome
Thanks all for the great suggestions.  It's amazing - I was looking back at a couple older threads asking basically the same question, and I see many of the same helpful suggestions - consistently from the same people!

And a quick update on my selection - I found a nice deal for a rebuilt C4 6601 paired with a new medium action lamiglas salmon/steelhead rod at the sportsman show yesterday.  I really liked deepcolor's Ugly Stik Tiger yesterday, so picked one up on sale at Fisherman's.  Going to spool the reel with 30# braid.

Thanks again!

-Sam
got stop wishing,
     got to go fishing...
          - Jimmy Buffett

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Thanks all for the great suggestions.  It's amazing - I was looking back at a couple older threads asking basically the same question, and I see many of the same helpful suggestions - consistently from the same people!

And a quick update on my selection - I found a nice deal for a rebuilt C4 6601 paired with a new medium action lamiglas salmon/steelhead rod at the sportsman show yesterday.  I really liked deepcolor's Ugly Stik Tiger yesterday, so picked one up on sale at Fisherman's.  Going to spool the reel with 30# braid.

Thanks again!

-Sam
Very nice! Those two will serve you well!

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
I've got the 9' IM-8 XH with a 6601 C4.  It works for bottom fish (came in 5th at the 2012 ORC with it) but I do wish I had a shorter rod.  Been keeping my eyes out for an inexpensive one, but haven't seen any that I was in a position to actually buy when available (either I missed a sale, it was not local, or something).

2012 ORC 5th Place

anything