Forum > The Kayak Shack

T11 versus Caper

(1/3) > >>

Vandal03:
I've been following a couple of the threads below and thought I'd start a new one. For those of you familiar with the OK line, how does the Trident 11 compare to the Caper?

bsteves:
Trident 11:
11'6" long
30.5" wide
54 lbs
much higher weight capacity (350-400 lbs)
drier ride
adjustable foot braces
rod pod
larger tank well

Caper:
11' long
31" wide
45 lbs
much lower weight capacity (275-325 lbs)
wetter ride
molded foot braces
no rod pod
small tank well

I've paddled the Caper on and off for 5 years.  The few times I've been in a T11 I've been very impressed. If you're on a budget you can pick up a used Caper for less than half the price of a new T11.  Both are great little kayaks.  Sometimes, I just through my Caper in the back of my Ford Ranger and go rather than dealing with the rack and my T13.

Brian

ZeeHawk:
Man that question couldn't have been tailored better for Bsteves! I've fished plenty w/ B and I gotta say, from my point of view he looks more comfortable in the Caper. Maybe it's just since he's been using it for such a long time but looks very comparable to the T11 he paddles. The part I'm most surprised about that yak is the speed it gets. It's a pretty under rated 'yak IMO. Cool little cheap yak.

Z

bsteves:
My other boat is actually a T13.  However, I have demo'd the T11 a couple times.

--- Quote ---The part I'm most surprised about that yak is the speed it gets.
--- End quote ---

Having paddled that Caper for a few years, I have to say I think I simply learned to keep up in a slower boat.  I find the T13 much faster.

The other trick with my "speed" is that I'm able paddle over thick mats of bull kelp that Zee had to peddle around because of his mirage drive.  My short cuts helped me keep up to his speed demon of a yak on the way to and from the fishing grounds.

Brian

INSAYN:
Brian, that's a very valid observation that I had never even thought of.   Mirage drive and kelp probably don't like each other much.   ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version