Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:18:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:01:15 PM]

[Today at 08:45:55 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Conditioning and difficulty  (Read 4413 times)

Justin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Before I got some unsolicited tips from an expert paddler, I was making the usual novice mistake of using my arms and shoulders to paddle.

This is how I paddle :P
aka - JoeSnuffy

Stand UP! Stand Up and Shout!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/OutdoorsJustin?feature=mhee

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
When I'm trying to be stealthy sneaking up on some rising trout, or if I notice that I'm paddling right over some fish when I'm trolling, I will often just use my arms and shoulders to execute gentler, quieter strokes for a short distance. I don't want to spook the fish.
But I don't do power strokes that way for cruising. Paddling power comes from the legs and torso. By the end of my stroke, though, coming out of it, I am pulling back just a little with my arm and shoulder, prior to lifting my blade from the water as it passes my hip. (Go past the hip, and it just slows you down).  I try to keep my elbows low and in close, to protect my shoulders. Throughout my stroke, the angle between my fore arm and my upper arm usually never gets much wider than about 90 degrees.

This is for going in a straight line. You know, when you've got to cover some distance and you must become like a machine. You concentrate on a clean entry and exit, and keeping the blade square and vertical, and you get in the smooth rhythm, and although your head pivots on your neck like a swivel as you take in the surrounding natural wonders, below your collar bones you are a machine. You fished later than expected, and now the wind and tide are against you, and you still have 3 miles to go. tch, tch.
Braces, sweep strokes, pries, and rudder strokes, etc are different dynamics.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 09:20:21 PM by ConeHeadMuddler »
ConeHeadMuddler

CraigVM62

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I noticed in a few videos that some use the straps on their mirage drive pedals, while others don't.    I was wondering how use these straps just to keep their feet in place and how many are utilizing them for a complete pedal stroke to some degree for the extra power as a cyclist would?

If I were wanting to get into "Hobie Shape" during the winter months,  I would look into utilizing a recumbent exercise bike for pre fishing training.
I used to think that Bigfoot might exist. Then I saw the reality shows where they are looking for them.  Now I am certain they don't

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
I use the straps on my Hobie pedals but don't generally use them for power on the backstroke.  They keep your feet from slipping when things get bumpy or you are twisting and turning in your seat.  Also with the straps you can pull a foot out and still pedal with one foot by using a power backstroke.
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

1trekker

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2010
A recumbent trainer is the ideal way to prepare for a Hobie Mirage drve.  I have been a recumbent biker rider for 7 years now with a 40 mile roundtrip commute to work in the summer time.  The muscle groups are the same but the angles may vary.  I practice "full circle pedaling" on the bike so pulling on the straps of the Mirage drive is second nature to me.  The additional power and speed, not to mention lower fatigue, are pretty dramatic when pulling.  My wife has a Revo too, no conditioing to speak of, and can ride for hours without issue. 
2010 Hobie Revo