Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:46:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:27:54 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 08:37:24 PM]

[Today at 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 07:22:33 PM]

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Rigging questions! Gear Track - scotty gear head track adapter  (Read 4665 times)

Widgeonmangh

• Lingcod
  • Fishing Kayaks of Gig Harbor
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Kayaks ship on Wednesday. Getting all the accessories so that I can rig it when it arrives.

Two Questions.

1.   I am planning on getting two 12 inc Gear Track rails for the front right and left hulls.  I want to be able to put the scotty extended gear head mount on both sides so I can fish two poles.  In attaching the extended gear head mount, does the gear head track adapter provide a strong enough connection point or should I go with the mighty mount system.  Never used the rail system or the gear head track adapter, so you have I would love your thoughts.

2.  Rather than putting the through hull long rod holders which took up too much storage space (especially when I was duck hunting) I am going to get the  Scotty 478 Rocket Launcher Bottom Pivot Rod Holder.  Any experience with these rocket launchers?  They only need to hold the net and extra fishing pole, both salmon poles , trout poles, (bait and spinning)

Love to hear your thoughts
Fish on the right side that's where the fish are! John 21:6

I am no longer a dealer for Wavewalk but if you ever want to paddle one let me know!

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
For normal use the gearhead rail mount works well.  I snapped the connection bolt while dragging my kayak into shallow water by the rod holder, but that was my fault.   

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
I am planning on getting two 12 inc Gear Track rails for the front right and left hulls.  I want to be able to put the scotty extended gear head mount on both sides so I can fish two poles.  In attaching the extended gear head mount, does the gear head track adapter provide a strong enough connection point or should I go with the mighty mount system.  Never used the rail system or the gear head track adapter, so you have I would love your thoughts.

I have several gear head mounts and like them a lot for many purposes.  However, if you put too much twisting force on them, such as by trolling a lure with a lot of drag, they may twist slightly.  For example, if you set your rod up at right angles to your kayak, over time it may end up pointing back somewhat, which is a minor irritation. The gearhead  mount is much more likely to twist if it is an extended gearhead mount, which will considerably increase the twisting force on the gearhead.  I wouldn't use an extended gearhead mount for trolling, but I generally don't like extended mounts because of the considerably greater leverage which they place on the base or track on which they are mounted.  If you want to mount a rod holder on a track for trolling, a better choice would be a Scotty deck mount on a mighty mount, or a do-it-yourself version of a mighty mount, because the deck mount would hold your rod holder wherever you set it.

Rather than putting the through hull long rod holders which took up too much storage space (especially when I was duck hunting) I am going to get the  Scotty 478 Rocket Launcher Bottom Pivot Rod Holder.  Any experience with these rocket launchers?  They only need to hold the net and extra fishing pole, both salmon poles , trout poles, (bait and spinning)

The rocket launchers will work fine for gear storage.  There are a few disadvantages of rocket lauchers for trolling: (a) The tube for the rocket launcher doesn't grab the rod or reel, so if the tube is pointing backwards and/or down too much, a strike or snag could pull the rod out of the rocket launcher and into the water.  (b)  While many rod holders position the reel right above the base on which the rod holder is mounted, the rocket launcher holds the reel well off to the side of the base, depending on the angle at which you set it.  Consequently, if you mount the rocket launcher on the right track pointing off to the right, you'll need to lean out pretty far to the right to slide your rod out of the rocket launcher.  It would be better to mount the rocket launcher on the left track pointing right, with the rod crossing over your legs, so you can lean straight forward to grab your rod and pull it out of the rocket launcher.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 10:11:34 AM by pmmpete »

Widgeonmangh

• Lingcod
Thanks for the replies.

Here are two pictures of my Wavewalk to help better understand how I am going to use the track and the rocket launchers.

I won't be trolling from the rocket launchers.  (at least I don't intend to) they are merely for holding my net and possibly an extra pole.

My rods will always be in front of me when I am fishing.  I have to use the extended in order to get them up out of the way for efficent paddling.  You can see in the second picture, that the extender is located on the board I used for the down rigger.  That is why I want a track.  It is easier to get it if I can have it back a little further than the best placement for a deck flush mount.  I may be able to just move the flush mount back 4 or 5 Inches and get way with doing that.   Then I could put a short 8" track on the saddle itself to replace the board and use two mighty mounts and the scotty base for the downrigger and a screwball for the fishfinder.  hmmm

Much to consider.

Rocket launchers will repalce the flush mount ones here that are holding the net.

Because of the design of the kayak I am able to deploy in the front of the boat.  Works really well.

I am no longer a dealer for Wavewalk but if you ever want to paddle one let me know!

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
It would be useful to see a picture of where and how you sit in the Wavewalk.  Do you just sit on the saddle without any padding, or do you have some kind of seat which attaches to the saddle?

It seems to me that a disadvantage of mounting your downrigger on the front of the Waverunner with the cable running down between the two pontoons is that in order to operate the downrigger you need to slide forward on the saddle, and in order to grab the weight and clip your fishing line into the release you need to slide forward even further and reach over your fish finder and rod holders, which seems kind of inconvenient.  Have you considered mounting your downrigger on the saddle, far enough forward so you won't bang your knuckles on it when paddling, but close enough so you only need to lean forward to operate it?  The boom would point to the right at right angles to the center line of the Wavewalk, with the pulley just beyond the right side of the boat.  Your rod would be mounted a short distance further forward from the downrigger so it sticks out to the right of the Wavewalk at right angles.  You could bolt the base for the downrigger to the center of the saddle, and put tracks on the right and left sides of the saddle for your fish finder and rod holders.  If you position the tracks appropriately, you should be able to use regular gear tracks and rod holders without any extenders.

Widgeonmangh

• Lingcod
Interesting ideas.

Here you go.

I have been just sitting on the saddle. Moving forward and backward on the saddle is not really a big deal and in fact kind of helpful.  Depending on wind and waves repositioning where I am at can change how much bow is in the water which influences tracking.  As far as seat goes, that is one of the issues of having a seat.  I like the mobility, so I am still thinking about how to do that. There are some really great examples out there and I just have to decide on one. 

Reaching for the ball is a little bit of a stretch but not really as much as I thought it would be and it is fairly comfortable.  Also if I get snagged in current I don't really have to worry about it flipping me.  It will just act like an anchor and turn me around.  I haven't done it yet, but I believe I will be able to use two poles and stack the rigger.  One to the right and one to the left.

By having my rod(s) pointed forward the fishing poles do not interfere with the paddling motion.  If I have them out 90 then I am always having to watch the lines when paddling especially when turning.  Forward means I don't have to watch for that at all.

I am thinking about this kind of set up on the saddle in front of me for the down rigger (once I figure out the post thing).  I am thinking that would be very solid.

Thanks for the conversation, helpful to think out loud verses remorse for unneeded holes in a kayak. :laugh:

HuyFishin

• Perch
  • Huyfishin Youtube page.
  • Date Registered: May 2020
I am planning on getting two 12 inc Gear Track rails for the front right and left hulls.  I want to be able to put the scotty extended gear head mount on both sides so I can fish two poles.  In attaching the extended gear head mount, does the gear head track adapter provide a strong enough connection point or should I go with the mighty mount system.  Never used the rail system or the gear head track adapter, so you have I would love your thoughts.

I have several gear head mounts and like them a lot for many purposes.  However, if you put too much twisting force on them, such as by trolling a lure with a lot of drag, they may twist slightly.  For example, if you set your rod up at right angles to your kayak, over time it may end up pointing back somewhat, which is a minor irritation. The gearhead  mount is much more likely to twist if it is an extended gearhead mount, which will considerably increase the twisting force on the gearhead.  I wouldn't use an extended gearhead mount for trolling, but I generally don't like extended mounts because of the considerably greater leverage which they place on the base or track on which they are mounted.  If you want to mount a rod holder on a track for trolling, a better choice would be a Scotty deck mount on a mighty mount, or a do-it-yourself version of a mighty mount, because the deck mount would hold your rod holder wherever you set it.

Rather than putting the through hull long rod holders which took up too much storage space (especially when I was duck hunting) I am going to get the  Scotty 478 Rocket Launcher Bottom Pivot Rod Holder.  Any experience with these rocket launchers?  They only need to hold the net and extra fishing pole, both salmon poles , trout poles, (bait and spinning)

The rocket launchers will work fine for gear storage.  There are a few disadvantages of rocket lauchers for trolling: (a) The tube for the rocket launcher doesn't grab the rod or reel, so if the tube is pointing backwards and/or down too much, a strike or snag could pull the rod out of the rocket launcher and into the water.  (b)  While many rod holders position the reel right above the base on which the rod holder is mounted, the rocket launcher holds the reel well off to the side of the base, depending on the angle at which you set it.  Consequently, if you mount the rocket launcher on the right track pointing off to the right, you'll need to lean out pretty far to the right to slide your rod out of the rocket launcher.  It would be better to mount the rocket launcher on the left track pointing right, with the rod crossing over your legs, so you can lean straight forward to grab your rod and pull it out of the rocket launcher.

Do you still use the scotty gear head track adapter?

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
Do you still use the scotty gear head track adapter?
If you use a Gearhead to hold a rod holder for a trolling rod, the tension from the rod will constantly twist the rod out of alignment.  The problem is bad enough when the rod  is pointing towards the right side of a kayak, and the tension on the rod tends to tighten the Gearhead. The problem is worse when the rod is pointing towards the left side of a kayak, and the tension on the rod will loosen the Gearhead.  I only use Gearheads to mount pieces of gear which aren't under any stress, such as a fish finder.  I mount my rod holders on Scotty side-deck mounts mounted on bases I made.  See https://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=13167.msg144750#msg144750.

showa

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2016
This how I rig up my rod holder.

1. The center one for Flag. I make it high so other boats can see me ;D
2. The two on the left and right for from the center are poles, I can bring 4 poles max.
3. The other 2 are for trolling for kokanee or salmon, I mount the 2 downrigger to the left and right of tracks. I drill a hole and add pin so I can adjust the position of rod. If i troll for salmon, i will adjust the holder closer to the yak. For kokanee, I spread them out, but not too far, I want the see the tips of the poles without turning mine head.

Make sure you paint them black, so it will look better.

anything