Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:41:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Puget Sound Outing -- Open Invite (UPDATE! Date changed to Friday July 2nd)  (Read 3154 times)

codeman

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
Well, the first scheduled trip fell through, all participants had things pop up. No worries, it allowed me to attend the HOW event, which I loved.  So much so, that I am going to attend the second event, on Saturday June 19th, hence the change in dates for this flat fish trip.  Sorry, if any were planning to attend the original June date. I changed the date to the following friday, June 25th.  I still plan on being at the launch, ready to disembark around 7am.  IF you need to arrive a little later, or just find yourself running behind, we'll be easy to locate out on the water, just a half mile or less to your right (NE). As long as weather is nice (Might be getting a tad warm out by the end of June), fishing should be stellar. If you havent communicated with me yet (PM, Email) please do so, and i'll add you to my group text, so you can keep up with Q&A's, possible commuting together, etc.  Anyways, I hope to see as many of you out there as possible!

-Cody (codeman)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 08:22:43 PM by codeman »

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I have fished the south Puget Sound dozens of times for flat fish. I have multiple fellow yakkers who have expressed interest in trying out this fishery. I am going to do 2 saturday trips (for those mon-fri workers).  The first will be on May 22nd (there's also a HOW event this day, so I know alot of you wont be able to make this one).  The second one will be on June 12.  The easiest spot for parking and access, with a nice park with a bathroom and tables for lunch, is to launch next to the ferry dock in Steilacoom. We made a scouting trip up there a few weeks ago, and the fishing was great. Respond with a PM, with your contact number, which day(s) you want to attend, and i'll create a group text for each event. I can answer any questions you might have about what to expect, gear, etc. Both trips will be weather dependant. No sense in fishing in the rain, wind, or by June - scorching temps. I will be fishing up there multiple times throughout the year, so if neither saturday works but you really want to check it out, reach out to me and we can put a trip together on a thurs or friday (maybe a different saturday, but i work every other one, so its harder for me to plan saturdays.)  I hope to get a big turnout, would love to meet and hang out with a lot more of you guys.

-Cody (codeman)

Might be worth a trip out in the middle at Toliva Shoal around the exchange for lingcod. I've also caught them on a rockpile NW of the mouth of chambers jigging for chinook.

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
  • A bad day of fishing is still better than a good d
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
Also interested, haven't fished much since moving up here. Looking forward to getting back on the water.
US Army & Army National Guard Veteran of 34 years
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans!," FOB Danger, Tikrit Iraq 2005
Boston Sports Fan since 1967, I have seen the highs, and the lows of Boston sports teams.
aka Kevin

codeman

• Rockfish
-BUMP-

Just wanted to emphasize that I needed to change the event date......

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
-BUMP-

Dogfish will keep you busy that late in June.

codeman

• Rockfish
-BUMP-

Dogfish will keep you busy that late in June.
  Ya they're super fun to catch, especially larger ones on a light setup. However, they do tear your gear up.....I generally dont catch many of them though if I fish inside of 40 fow. It'll probably be a new species, at least from a yak, for most of the guys who join. Plus, its always cool to show your non fishing friends catching sharks from the yak... many of my work mates think im crazy....

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
Plus, its always cool to show your non fishing friends catching sharks from the yak... many of my work mates think im crazy....

Aren't they like 2, 3 feet long at most?

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Yeah, 2-3 feet long, and they are fun to catch. Unless you are chasing salmon, but better than nothin’
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
Yeah, 2-3 feet long, and they are fun to catch. Unless you are chasing salmon, but better than nothin’

I hear they're tasty if you treat them right. What, bleed out, ice, and then soak the meat in milk?

If I weren't in salmon mode in late June I'd be tagging along. Sounds like a fun time, nice of codeman to put this on.

codeman

• Rockfish
Plus, its always cool to show your non fishing friends catching sharks from the yak... many of my work mates think im crazy....

Aren't they like 2, 3 feet long at most?
  Id say ya, most of the ones ive caught were in this size range, 2-4 pounds.  However, we have caught them up to 12 pounds or so, not sure on length. Probably over 4 ft. When you're usisng a med light set up and 6-8 pound line, they put up a great fight. however, they freak out and spin when you get em to the surface, generally resulting in having to retie your dropper loop set up. Ive caught as many as 9 species in a day up there before, which is my favorite part of salt water fishing, the not knowing whats on  the end of your line.  I generally catch and release all the fish I catch, but I may start keeping a few of the wormless rock soles and pacific sanddabs from now on.... ive learned how to clean them without filleting....

rustyski

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015

[/quote]

Might be worth a trip out in the middle at Toliva Shoal around the exchange for lingcod. I've also caught them on a rockpile NW of the mouth of chambers jigging for chinook.
[/quote]

Lingcod closes June 15th, doesn't it? 
Boats:
2019 Hobie Outback

Event Finishes:
2020 AOTY 5th Place
2020 Tiny Fish Slam Winner
2019 Tiny Fish Slam 2nd

Helium Head

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I’m planning on it.  Looking forward to adding shark to my species list.
Hobie Revolution 13 olive
Hobie Revolution 13 yellow

codeman

• Rockfish
Looks like I inadvertently switched to a huge tidal swing day. Not the end of the world, but we'll probably have to spend most of our day fishing in shallow. That little "bay" in front of the park is pretty well protected from the current, but at these exchanges, we might have to bank it for a spell and let the worst of it pass....? We'll have to move out to deep water and hit it hard right at the tidal change.  I've fished big swings before there without issue, but these look like some of the biggest of the year....will be interesting to see what that is like. Im thinking the water movement should get the fish actively feeding, lots of food ripped off the bottom. Anyways, im looking forward to it. Hoping its not a 90+ degree day....lol...and if it does end up being challenging fishing, i'll be going multiple more times this year and will open invite all of them..

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
  • A bad day of fishing is still better than a good d
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
Okay I am on for July 2nd.  I took the day off for it.  Can I get some info on the who, what, when, where. More so on the where are we meeting and at what time?  Bait & rig of choice? is?  Thanks!
US Army & Army National Guard Veteran of 34 years
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans!," FOB Danger, Tikrit Iraq 2005
Boston Sports Fan since 1967, I have seen the highs, and the lows of Boston sports teams.
aka Kevin

codeman

• Rockfish
Well, due to many many reasons, the previous attempts to put this trip together all fell though. However, many are committed to making this happen on July 2nd. Several have already bought their daily licenses. It will be fairly hot out, but myself and approx 7 others will be meeting at the steilacoom ferry launch at 7.  A lunch break, and possibly many other breaks, will be taken to get out of the hot sun throughout the day. Anyone who has not already contacted me to be added to the group text feel free to pm me. this is an open invite though, so feel free to just show up whenever, and join a great group of guys out on the water.

Cody

anything