Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:09:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Puget Sound go/no-go advice -Point no point  (Read 7427 times)

couriersean

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
I've searched here and elsewhere looking for some go/no-go parameters for the Puget Sound, and I'm not seeing what I'm looking for. This might be because the Sound is so diverse, but surely there's a general consensus for the Sound, specifically Hansville area.
I know the basic go/no-go's like wind, wind waves, swell, period, but I haven't found anything about tidal current and the effect on wind waves and tide rips. I went out twice this week, with downright awful conditions, and I'm thinking the tide exchange was just too steep. I had waves coming from 2 or 3 different sides, the water looked like it was shaking at times, then I was spun 180 a few times as I was pedaling along. I went 1-2 hours before and after low tide both days, and there was just never a moment where things settled down like I thought it would. I've attached a screenshot of the tide on Friday. I was on the water around 11:15am, and off by 1:45. Wind waves predicted less than 1', and wind 5-8mph during my time there. What went wrong? Was the preceding and following steeper tide exchange the cause of the terrible waves I experienced? I went deep, shallow, and traveled 2 miles before turning around (on my own accord this time), with no point where things were close to pleasant.

Now, I've heard about the tide rips around here, and I think I unfortunately experienced them this week and want to avoid it again. I know these areas aren't always terrible, so how does one predict tide rips? Is it large tidal exchanges that cause this, or does any flow of water cause these areas to be awful?
Does anybody have a go/no-go for tidal current like "anything lower than 'x' feet per hour is ok." ...?

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
There are three extreme perigean spring tides (King tides) this year.  You were out in one of them.  The tidal exchange ratios within a confined area during these extreme tides are huge, even in a water body as large as the Sound, and in some locations, the slack period will be nearly non-existent.

I'd guess where you were was one of those spots.  In another location, the current(s) might not be as severe.

(The largest tidal exchange for 2021 occurs towards the end of June.)
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

couriersean

• Herring
Thank you Tinker! I've been good about doing some research to make sure I'm safe, but I have not come across the perigean spring tides. I will do some reading tonight.

I was out this winter and never experienced anything like it. I guess I need to be even more selective until this cycle settles down. Next week looks much calmer concerning tides, if I'm not mistaken.

henney

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2014
https://www.deepzoom.com/

You can plan your entire year of fishing based on the tide/current info available on Deepzoom. I knew I wouldn't want to try halibut this particular weekend back in January when I first started checking halibut tides.

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Yeah, Point No Point is a washing machine on the the ebb and it's windy most of the time. I've had some fun times out there with kings dragging me around and into boats. Larger the tide the better, for Chinook anyway. Maybe find an easier place to fish until you get comfortable out there?

I've caught Chinook at Point Defiance with winds at 20knts out if the South, caught them also in 3.5knt current in the Tacoma Narrows. To go or not to go is totally subjective to where you're at.

couriersean

• Herring
I've been out around Seabeck 4 or 5 times, and Port Gamble another 4 or 5 trips before this misadventure.

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
  • A bad day of fishing is still better than a good d
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
My old boss has a 19 foot whaler and has told stories about things happening out there that had scared. 
US Army & Army National Guard Veteran of 34 years
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans!," FOB Danger, Tikrit Iraq 2005
Boston Sports Fan since 1967, I have seen the highs, and the lows of Boston sports teams.
aka Kevin

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
My old boss has a 19 foot whaler and has told stories about things happening out there that had scared.

A 19' Outrage had a problem at Point No Point? I see guys in 5' dingys with 30lb thrust minn kotas out there mooching every time I'm there. I've never felt unsafe and I'll fish the entire ebb then do the 6mi round-trip to pilot point on the flood. Biggest hazard I've come across is Chinook dragging you into other boats. Yeah there's slop from the wakes, wind and the current spins you circles - different tolerances I guess.

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
  • A bad day of fishing is still better than a good d
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018

A 19' Outrage had a problem at Point No Point? I see guys in 5' dingys with 30lb thrust minn kotas out there mooching every time I'm there. I've never felt unsafe and I'll fish the entire ebb then do the 6mi round-trip to pilot point on the flood. Biggest hazard I've come across is Chinook dragging you into other boats. Yeah there's slop from the wakes, wind and the current spins you circles - different tolerances I guess.

I am betting it was one of those days when he got caught in a wind shift or something he was a Navy vet and not easily intimidated by waves and weather.
US Army & Army National Guard Veteran of 34 years
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans!," FOB Danger, Tikrit Iraq 2005
Boston Sports Fan since 1967, I have seen the highs, and the lows of Boston sports teams.
aka Kevin

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019

You can plan your entire year of fishing based on the tide/current info available on Deepzoom. I knew I wouldn't want to try halibut this particular weekend back in January when I first started checking halibut tides.

Thanks for this. Is it generally pretty accurate? Are there factors beyond wind that add noise to the current speed predictions? Hoping to hit a new area this weekend; the area is notorious among yak fishermen for currents (but most yak fishermen are first time kayakers in insanely wide boats).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 02:53:19 PM by bogueYaker »

couriersean

• Herring
My limited experience has shown that the chart is pretty accurate, in that the predicted higher currents suck more than the lower currents for sure. haha. The tide rips I kept finding were no-joke.
Personally, I've started to avoid the "trouble" areas altogether unless the tide exchange is very mild. I kept trying to make the area I wanted to fish work for me, instead of simply going somewhere mellower. Friday-Sunday looks pretty mild from a tide perspective, but the winds are picking up.

henney

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2014

Thanks for this. Is it generally pretty accurate? Are there factors beyond wind that add noise to the current speed predictions? Hoping to hit a new area this weekend; the area is notorious among yak fishermen for currents (but most yak fishermen are first time kayakers in insanely wide boats).

It's reasonably accurate. Currents around points and over structure can be pretty unpredictable, so sometimes conditions will seem out of whack with the predicted currents. I'm not a fan of the new UI, but I'll probably get used to it.

anything