Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:14:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Charleston tomorrow, 5/23  (Read 1945 times)

Dvrdown33

Planning on heading out of Charleston harbor (Marina) tomorrow and fishing the cribs if anyone wants to join. I’ll be heading out between 6:45-7am. Leaving when I get a limit or around noon...whichever comes first.

Never fished the cribs from a kayak, but always had luck when I had a power boat.

Weather looks like a chance of drizzle, but not too bad. High tide @ 10:30.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Water clarity is extremely low right now.  Tough fishing, but good luck!
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Dvrdown33

This morning I hit the water at 5:35AM and had the first fish in the boat by 6:15. Lots of little black bass today, took until 11am to finally put the 4th keeper in the cooler though.  Tons of anchovies on the depth finder today. I hooked a couple on the sabiki to try live bait fishing. Hooked up with something HUGE around the #7 marker. It ran for about 50 yards and wrapped around the tower and severed the braided line. Not sure what it was, but I couldn’t even begin to slow it down.

Several small boats looked like they did well around high tide. Lots of action, but I didn’t see a lot of big fish.

Broke off 4 large jigs today...not happy about that. Learned a lot about boat control with this new boat. Can’t take your eyes off the rocks for a second.

all in all, good morning with great weather and added some filets to the freezer.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
excellent, I love fishing around that submerged jetty, it can put your kayak control skills to the test and get your heart racing, in addition to eating gear.  it also grabs crab pots that get away from people and there can be ropes laying under the water.   

the big deep holes just below and above the #7 marker have interested me, Dec-Jan is when I have had several very large fish cut my leader in that area.

did you launch at the kayak/canoe launch or the big marina ramp?
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Dvrdown33

Roger, I launched at the main marina boat ramps. With my little trailer, I was able to rig up the kayak completely in the parking area and just slide the kayak into the water ready to fish.

I wasn’t aware there was a canoe/kayak launch?

It was great to be able to rinse off all the salt at the wash station before I drove home. Saved a ton of time when I got home.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
We used to launch near the marina and the end of Alaska Packer Rod, but they've closed it to vehicles and now it's a long walk across the causeway.

Dvrdown33

Tinker,

I think you’ve mentioned you are a fly fisherman.... Sunday the black bass where busting out of the water for hours chasing anchovies. I’d imagine a large “anchovie like” wet fly would be a killer. Never flyfished for anything salty, but I bet it would be wild.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
Roger, I launched at the main marina boat ramps. With my little trailer, I was able to rig up the kayak completely in the parking area and just slide the kayak into the water ready to fish.

I wasn’t aware there was a canoe/kayak launch?

It was great to be able to rinse off all the salt at the wash station before I drove home. Saved a ton of time when I got home.

as you drop down to the bridge at Charleston there is a sign for it, just before the bridge.  I think you can back a trailer down, it's a nice spot to launch if you are trying to avoid a heavily crowded marina launch but up the south slough a bit so I would want the tide behind me both ways.  I think the spot by the DQ is the quickest way to get to the submerged jetty if you aren't trying to just back a trailer down to the water.

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Tinker,

I think you’ve mentioned you are a fly fisherman.... Sunday the black bass where busting out of the water for hours chasing anchovies. I’d imagine a large “anchovie like” wet fly would be a killer. Never flyfished for anything salty, but I bet it would be wild.

Gee, I missed this note until today.  I simply cannot understand why you didn't phone me when it was happening  ;D.  And yes, on a bendy fly pole, catching any marine fish is quite an experience.  I've had rockfish too small to keep (they didn't pass the two-taco test) bend my rod tip into the water.

I've never run into rockfish feeding on top.  It must be a sight to see.  Thanks!

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
I had rockfish, albeit tiny ones, along Tillamook jetty, on Mon.
Still fun.
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

anything