Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:54:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Good Deals On A New Fish Finder?  (Read 2594 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
It appears my Humminbird Helix has crapped-out.  Worked a week ago, wouldn't start up yesterday.  Voltmeter read 12.97V at 8 amps at the battery, and 12.97V at the battery box socket and at the plug end of the power cable.

No joy.

I'm peeved because it happened now, but it's held up for three hard years, so I'm not unreasonably irritated.  Sometimes when a guy has a plan, the Bluebird of Happiness craps all over it.  That's life.

The kayak is setup for the XNT 9 HW MDI 75 T transducer, and after all the cussing it took to carve the new foam puck, I'd just as soon not change to a different unit if I can avoid it  -  although GARMIN is offering a heck of a rebate on the Echomap units.

Does anyone know of a sale or rebate going on for a Helix 5 or Helix 7 CHIRP DI GPS?  Humminbird changed the Helix 7 to "Mega DI" for 2021 and maybe someone has NOS on sale?

If they're only going to survive for three years, I hope to replace it as cheaply as I can.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 05:07:39 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Thanks, Dave.  Very nice of you to search that out.  I saw it just before I decided if these are going to have problems (as some have mentioned on Humminbird's site) I probably want to find one with a warranty.

I should have said that earlier.  :sign12:  Shame on me. 

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
That's a very good deal for a finder with sideview, Dave.  Thanks!

Couple of Garmin units on sale at Bass Pro. 

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/garmin-echomap-uhd-73sv-fish-finderchartplotter-combo

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/garmin-echomap-uhd-74sv-fishfinder-chartplotter-combo

Only come with freshwater maps, but if you buy the 74sv and Coastal map card for $220, there is a $200 rebate.  https://www.garmin.com/en-US/promotions/spring21visionplotterrebate/

Dave

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
So last year my Humminbird Helix 5 started having issue with start up. Sometimes wouldn't start, sometimes would take a long time to start.
The culprit for my issues was the power cord. A quick delivery from Amazon and a few minutes of tinkering and I was back in business. PpHhEeWww!
Not saying this is your issue, but exam the prongs carefully.
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Those are good deals.  I wished I wouldn't have just bought mine.  I miss having the maps.
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
So last year my Humminbird Helix 5 started having issue with start up. Sometimes wouldn't start, sometimes would take a long time to start.
The culprit for my issues was the power cord. A quick delivery from Amazon and a few minutes of tinkering and I was back in business. PpHhEeWww!

Dielectric grease on the plugs and unplug the battery before the head unit. Learned this the hard way. If he's getting the same voltage at the head unit as the same as the battery it's most likely the unit failing.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin

Good advice, Drifter, but a new power cord was the very first thing I tried.  Could you use a spare?

Dielectric grease on the plugs and unplug the battery before the head unit. Learned this the hard way. If he's getting the same voltage at the head unit as the same as the battery it's most likely the unit failing.

Thank you.  All of the plugs and sockets were always kept lightly coated with Aviation Corrosion-X and are still sparkly clean, but keeping a corrosion inhibitor on electrical plugs and sockets is always good advice.

I'm not clear on why it's important to unplug the battery before unplugging the head unit.  I'm trying to remember how I do it, but I'm pretty sure the first thing routinely unplug and remove is the battery.

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015

Good advice, Drifter, but a new power cord was the very first thing I tried.  Could you use a spare?

Thank you.  All of the plugs and sockets were always kept lightly coated with Aviation Corrosion-X and are still sparkly clean, but keeping a corrosion inhibitor on electrical plugs and sockets is always good advice.

I'm not clear on why it's important to unplug the battery before unplugging the head unit.  I'm trying to remember how I do it, but I'm pretty sure the first thing routinely unplug and remove is the battery.

I don't want electrical current hitting the plugs with saltwater on them - possibility of a short and I think they'll corrode faster (speculation, I'm not a chemist).

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin

I don't want electrical current hitting the plugs with saltwater on them - possibility of a short and I think they'll corrode faster (speculation, I'm not a chemist).

I hadn't thought of that.  Makes perfect sense.  Excellent point!