Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:58:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:03:52 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Dilemma  (Read 2276 times)

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Ok, so my oldest son (29 years old) has been pitching a fit that I never make time to take him out kayak fishing.

So a week and a half ago I explained to him that I would be out of town last weekend for the BCS. I told him I could find some time over Memorial day weekend. We decided on Sunday. He wants to go to Foster and that is fine with me, I never mind fishing!

Now I am looking at the ocean forecast! Dammit! Why did I say I would make time to take him to a lake before I new what the ocean was going to be like?

So now my dilemma...... Do I piss him off and go fish my favorite fishery out of Depoe Bay? Do I re-schedule with him for Saturday and piss my wife off by fishing two days in a row after a three day jaunt last weekend to Brownlee?

Dammit! The worst idea of all is to let the beautiful ocean forecast on a day that I don't have to miss work slip by.

Hhmmmm...........
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Summer is just getting started.  There will be lots of great weather for the next 4 months.  ;) Go fish with your boy!

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

• Date Registered: Feb 2021
Go fishing with your son and keep the wife happy :)

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
I agree with the others.  The ocean will always be there...
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I took my Granddaughter on her first kayak fishing trip on a day when the fish were biting and I would end up setting aside my rod to ride herd on her.  Making ti worse (for me) that guy I fish with went along and he got to fish while I got chase after a grandkid who was more interested in sight-seeing than fishing.

Best Day Ever, Drifter.  I don't think there are many people on the planet to whom she hasn't told about the day she went kayak fishing.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Keep everyone happy and introduce your son to ocean fishing.  The biggest down side is it will be a zoo because of nice conditions during a holiday weekend. 
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Yeah, I thought about taking him on the ocean. Then I went to the question of safety. Our other two kayaks are Wilderness Tarpon 120s.

I had the thought of him paddling my kayak and I would ride the little one. Anyway, if I had a bigger backup yak and he had more experience that would be a great option.

My wife, however did suggest that I shift days around. She is actually ok with me fishing Sunday and Monday as long as I am her B**** on Saturday. SOLD! Son is fine fishing Monday!

Woohoo! Depoe Bay here I come!
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Don't lose sight of the fact that we're only a couple of weeks away from the Coho opener. Drain your WAF account now and you'll kick yourself later.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Don't lose sight of the fact that we're only a couple of weeks away from the Coho opener. Drain your WAF account now and you'll kick yourself later.

OK, help me out here.  Definition for "WAF"?  Just curious.
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

BentRod

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Fish with your son....there will be plenty of ocean days ahead. 

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
+1 The son will never ever forget, the wife will never remember! My son is 25 and some of our very best times were the most simple fishing times. And catching fish was not part of the equation. A dilemma for sure and just my perspective. No perfect decision, but experiences last forever!
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010

It was a term that was bandied about on this forum many moons ago. I'm not sure who coined it. It may have been our founder PolePole, or it might have been brother Pelagic. It's my understanding that it stands for "Wife Acceptance Factor." Essentially, the likelihood of future plans based upon highly subjective criteria which may include, but not in any way limited to: past fishing performances, certain time-based studies and rigorous financial analysis.

The sum of all these actions, inactions, thoughts, feelings, attitudes and expenditures accrue debits and credits in this intangible account. Unlike most accounts there are no monthly statements issued and balance inquiries are sometimes subjective. For instance, eye rolling, heavy sighs, long periods of silence, a blanket and pillow left for you on the couch are all strong indicators of a dangerously low WAF account and it may be advisable to defer short term kayak fishing plans.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 10:30:07 PM by Ling Banger »

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008

It's our old short hand for Wife Approval Factor. It's a play on Happy Wife, Happy Life. Not sure which of our early or founding members came up with it .
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

showa

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2016
I was busy working to support the family when my kids are young, now none of them want to go fishing with me. So please don't make the same mistake that I made, take your son fishing with you or you will regret it later. This way, you make your son and wife happy, kill two birds with one stone. Why not?

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
OK, WAF versus WGAF (Wife Grudging Approval/Acceptance Factor) or TFFF (Trading Favors For Fishing).  Gotcha 
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

anything