Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:04:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: howzit  (Read 1433 times)

HG

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Howzit everyone,

I'm originally from Hawaii, now living in Soldotna for a couple months.

Went kayak fishing in AK for the first time last weekend near Homer. Picked up some small game.

Hoala

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Welcome to the NWKA HG!  Your Homer trip must have been fun.
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I saw two Hobies at different times fishing the Homer spit over the weekend - a red one (Outback?) and a yellow one (couldn't tell model) - either of those you?

Welcome to the forum - we need more active Alaska members!

HG

• Krill
I was across the bay in Halibut Cove :)

I saw two Hobies at different times fishing the Homer spit over the weekend - a red one (Outback?) and a yellow one (couldn't tell model) - either of those you?

Welcome to the forum - we need more active Alaska members!

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Nice! My wife got a nice cod as well, and I got my first halibut that I could keep. They both were amazing food - I have to say the cod was really excellent.

I didn't make it very clear above but I'm not from Alaska; I was just up there for the weekend. Glad to have you here!

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Nice catch.  I have never fished the Homer side but have been to Seward a couple of times.  Once on a charter with my Dad and Brothers and a couple years ago with my daughter, son-in-law, and his father.  Beautiful country up there!
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

HG

• Krill
The drysuit is a great investment up here.

I got lucky earlier this year back home:
https://www.paubox.com/blog/kayak-fishing-marlin-hoala-greevy/

Nice catch.  I have never fished the Homer side but have been to Seward a couple of times.  Once on a charter with my Dad and Brothers and a couple years ago with my daughter, son-in-law, and his father.  Beautiful country up there!

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014

Great article, sounds like it was a fun day. Holy crap, that pic of Pokai bay brought back some memories. My family has been commercial fishing Waianae for many years and my pops and brother still do from the new harbor. Mostly opelu and bottom. He has a blue and white 16' glaspar currently. I remember going to Pokai when it was still a working harbor and my dad would launch every evening. Thanks for the memories and welcome to the NWKA.

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Howzit everyone,
Went kayak fishing in AK for the first time last weekend near Homer. Picked up some small game.
Hoala

Aloha kakahiaka Hoala

Good to see an islander in the neighborhood. Glad you didn't waste any time getting on the water and some slime in the boat. Based on your quest for kayak length marlin you landed in the right spot with an opportunity to impress your friends back on the islands....Alaska style! Your past experience makes you a perfect candidate for giving a go at our barndoor halibut that prowl our waters. The "small game" you got last weekend would have been perfect live bait for a 200+ pounder.  :)

You mentioned you are just temporary. Do you have a kayak available at your home base for the duration of your visit? I'm in Soldotna too.  I'll PM you. Maybe we can meet up for coffee and some strategies.

Nice! My wife got a nice cod as well, and I got my first halibut that I could keep. They both were amazing food - I have to say the cod was really excellent.
I didn't make it very clear above but I'm not from Alaska; I was just up there for the weekend. Glad to have you here!

Hey Captain, Good to see you and the Mrs. brought your dry suits and got to put them to good use. Nice that you caught some fresh Fish n Chips for dinner before you left. I suspect that you will be adding that flatfish to your point total. Ha. That should put you on the rear bumper of Nobaddays!
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Hey Captain, Good to see you and the Mrs. brought your dry suits and got to put them to good use. Nice that you caught some fresh Fish n Chips for dinner before you left. I suspect that you will be adding that flatfish to your point total. Ha. That should put you on the rear bumper of Nobaddays!

Thank you! Yeah, it worked out well. I'll definitely be posting the halibut, although unfortunately it is not a ton of points. I hope to improve it if I can get out this summer a few times... fingers crossed. It was a pleasure fishing up there, I only wish I could do it more.

HG

• Krill

Great article, sounds like it was a fun day. Holy crap, that pic of Pokai bay brought back some memories. My family has been commercial fishing Waianae for many years and my pops and brother still do from the new harbor. Mostly opelu and bottom. He has a blue and white 16' glaspar currently. I remember going to Pokai when it was still a working harbor and my dad would launch every evening. Thanks for the memories and welcome to the NWKA.

Howzit! I love it out there on the westside. I paddled out to S buoy that day :)
http://www.himb.hawaii.edu/FADS/Maps%20&%20Loc/OahuMap.html
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 10:41:20 AM by HG »

HG

• Krill
Howzit everyone,
Hoala

Aloha kakahiaka Hoala

Good to see an islander in the neighborhood. Glad you didn't waste any time getting on the water and some slime in the boat. Based on your quest for kayak length marlin you landed in the right spot with an opportunity to impress your friends back on the islands....Alaska style! Your past experience makes you a perfect candidate for giving a go at our barndoor halibut that prowl our waters. The "small game" you got last weekend would have been perfect live bait for a 200+ pounder.  :)

You mentioned you are just temporary. Do you have a kayak available at your home base for the duration of your visit? I'm in Soldotna too.  I'll PM you. Maybe we can meet up for coffee and some strategies.

Howzit Klondike Kid! Yep, I picked up smaller cod and flounder off my damashi rod, then dropped em down on my other rod as live bait to the bottom. Ended up with a larger cod instead :P

I was renting a kayak last weekend, so yep I'll hit you up. No fish finder either, was in the blind. Was watching birds, current, and what other boats were doing.