Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:13:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Side contest ideas  (Read 1335 times)

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Hey Fellow Kayak Anglers,

I am looking for some input.

I have a $100 cash donation for the prize pool for AOTY.

I am thinking of making a side category for the cash.

Here are a few ideas that I have had.

1: Just add the cash to the grand prize winner.

2: $50 to 1st, $30 to 2nd, $20 to 3rd.

3: Side category, 1st person to refer 5 friends to sign up and donate to HOW to join AOTY wins $100 because it pains me that we only have 20 contestants for $5000 of prizes.

4: Side category, the $100 goes to the single highest point fish for the year. Dean would probably be in favor of this as he is currently in the lead with his 28 inch Rainbow Trout the is 224 points!

I am open to other ideas as well. So please let the suggestions fly!

Thank you!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 09:14:14 PM by Drifter2007 »
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
I tried a search, that didn't turn up much....
Could someone please provide a link to AOTY rules and regulations?
Interested in signing up, but know little about it...
Thanks in advance!
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Never mind, found it!
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
How about finding two people who are strapped for cash that would really enjoy doing AOTY and do the HOW donation for them.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

Drifter2007

• Salmon
That is a good idea!

Let's see what other ideas people have.
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2016 Retired!

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Use it to buy a savings bond and award it in the Youth Category to be used for someone's post-High School education.  Like a mini-scholarship.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Drifter2007

• Salmon
I like it! Another great idea!

Keep em coming please!

If you agree for any of these ideas please post a second, or a thumbs up with it or something.
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2016 Retired!

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
How about finding two people who are strapped for cash that would really enjoy doing AOTY and do the HOW donation for them.
:icon_thumleft:
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

surf12foot

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
I like James idea.
Scott

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I, too, like Nobaddays' idea.  It reflects the generosity of NWKA members - look at the time our volunteers "donate" into organizing events, gathering amazing prize pools, and raising money for admirable causes.

My thinking is that we can subsidize folks who already fish thereby increasing the field of competitors - an excellent suggestion - or we might encourage kids to start fishing and help them along in their education.

Consider for a moment the new interest in kayak fly-fishing this year's expanded prize pool generated as a possibility of what could happen in the Youth Division.

Consider also what having more folks in competition could mean not only to those who would benefit directly from being awarded the entry fee but also how more competitors could help our volunteers continue finding great prizes, this year and in years to come.

Either scheme seems to me to be a Really Good Idea, but since one of them is my idea, I refuse to vote.

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
We could start a scholarship fund and award it to someone planning to major in fisheries biology.  :)

OR, make it a random award. Perhaps purchase something like a fly tying kit...to encourage more Fly category participation?  So no matter whether you are #1 or a complete no show on the points board, you have a shot at XXXXX prize from a 'fish bowl' drawing. The old Homer Jackpot Halibut Derby had a drawing at the end of the season for a trip for two to Hawaii just for buying a ticket, whether you actually went out and fished that day or not. That sold some extra tickets for sure.  I'm guilty more than once!

I actually believe, that with the purpose of our event being to raise money for a noteworthy cause (Heroes on the Water), AND with so many sponsor contributors racking up bookoo (beaucoup) amounts of valuable prizes, there should be a portion of these that are actually awarded randomly by drawings. It really is about the underlying cause as well as the competition. The bragging rights are enough for many of the 'old timers' who participate each year as you can tell from their forum "signature". Prizes are just icing on the cake.

Dedicate most really nice prizes (but not all) to those at the top of the list as deserving recipients for their dedicated efforts to be the top dog...or as a 'I got this close!'   But I suspect that too many forum members take a look at the leader board year after year and know they could never really compete for a top spot for a "good" prize. I'm in that boat. But I support the reason we are doing this. $50? We can all afford that. Its a tank of gas and parking fee.  Let's tone down the potential discouragement of being way down on the points list and provide an opportunity for a "Thanks for caring and supporting a worthy cause" and here you go with a lucky drawing prize....whatever those may be.

Drifter2007 you have and are still doing a phenomenal job acquiring sponsor contributors to this worthy cause and our event. 20 participants out of 4000 past and present registered forum members and thousands of lurkers?? WTF? I believe we have the potential for a much greater number of HOW supporters. Heck, I'm in and only have HALF or less of the time the West Coast anglers have for open water fishing. No biggie.

I believe NWKA AOTY goal should be tweaked a bit to share/spread the wealth our generous sponsor contributors have donated as a means to encourage more participants irregardless of their skill level or fishing accomplishments. Let's not let them (sponsors and anglers) down by making this event look like an elite good ol' boys club. YOUR EFFORT Drifter deserves more bang for the buck you invest in time, energy, and enthusiasm.

Near the end of the season I'd like you to post the contact information (email addy) for each sponsor so I and others could send them a personal thank you for their generosity. Its as simple as copy/paste your note in individual emails. No mailing list, that is tacky and impersonal. Aw, you taught me that! HA

Well, that's my 2¢ and 2 beers worth after an extended day on the water. ~KK~ (Posted the next morning after sleeping on it.)
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Nobadday's suggestion won?  The best idea wasn't supposed to win!  I demand a recount and an independent audit! ;D

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
I believe NWKA AOTY goal should be tweaked a bit to share/spread the wealth our generous sponsor contributors have donated as a means to encourage more participants irregardless of their skill level or fishing accomplishments. Let's not let them (sponsors and anglers) down by making this event look like an elite good ol' boys club. YOUR EFFORT Drifter deserves more bang for the buck you invest in time, energy, and enthusiasm.

If anyone has that impression of AOTY I certainly don't know why. Most of the folks I've met through AOTY and NWKA have been welcoming and helpful. And in years when we've had plenty of sponsors either everyone or nearly everyone has received at least something. Don't forget that we're geographically dispersed and it's not trivial logistically or financially to get everyone a package, although we have had a generous anonymous donor cover shipping.

When I've asked people why they don't want to join up it usually has nothing to do with prizes. I think there really just aren't a lot of people who enjoy the challenge of multi-species angling. My perception is most folks have a 2 or 3 favorite fisheries that cover a few species. If I were in that mindset then I would probably find the idea of trying to get 10 species pretty daunting.

I've also heard a few voices over the years complain that it was too stilted towards people who had access to coastal fisheries, so we added more inland species but participation numbers did not increase. (As an aside, NWKA's uplandsandpiper demonstrated that you can excel in AOTY with only freshwater fish.)

We tried side-challenges before like a side-pot for all salmon species, for example. It didn't really stir up any additional interest.

I'm open to ideas; just trying to give some historical perspective.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
PS: Regarding motivations to participate, I was discussing this with another AOTYer over the weekend and he was telling me he enjoys watching the leaderboard but really he's competing against himself. I feel the same way. I doubt I'll ever join the 2000 point club, or get first place, etc. But knowing that I can beat my previous year's score motivates me to try new fisheries and make new friends. I love angling, and it makes me a better angler.

I feel like we've been pretty balanced in the past with regard to celebrating our "top dogs" while also focusing on the good we're doing by participating. And, like I said, when possible, everyone gets something. I didn't do very well last year and I easily got more than $50 worth of stuff in my goodie-bag.

Drifter2007

• Salmon
Nice! Yeah I know I will never beat Jed or Dean if they put up 10 species. I have NEVER caught a 200 point fish. Last year with Jed's GOAT year he almost put up an entire board of 200 plus point fish!

I really enjoy the challenge of trying to get 10 species more than just getting big fish. Yes, of course 10 species of big fish would be amazing!

I wonder if people may not always be aware of the free youth entry with each adult??? Of course not everyone has a youth, but I am sure we have more than two.... I love to see the kids entering, and if you like the prize pack you got (Lauren) you should have seen what each youth that entered got!
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2016 Retired!