Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:26:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Kayak Stability  (Read 2661 times)

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
A guy catches a few rockfish with a fly rod and suddenly he feels qualified to be an anti-Centaurian critic?  Sheesh!

Disadvantages of not being from Zeta Reticuli, Tinker ...

Reminds me of the episode of The Twilight Zone where Ross,Martin turns out to be a Venusian with 3 eyes..
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I've been in an OK T13 once and I pedal a Revo 13 all the time. IMO the overall stability is similar. The OK might be slightly better primary stability, but about the same secondary stability, due to the harder edges (IIRC).

I don't have any problem with weeds in my drive or rudder. Usually you just go through it, and if you don't, you can pull your drive up and back down in a few seconds, same for the rudder. I assume you'd have the same degree of problem with the rudder on an OK T13.

The best way to answer these questions is to demo one, of course. Some people prefer one feel or layout over another.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Okay, but I owned both at the same time and used them about the same number of hours, but in different venues: I used the Revo in the ocean and the Trident everywhere else.  I still maintain the Trident has slightly better stability, both primary and secondary stability, than the Revo.

Not that a Revo is a tippy beast, because it's not - they're quite stable.  However, if, like me, you sometimes get "Happy Butt" Syndrome when you first launch, you'll notice the difference between the two hulls right off.  One is twitchier than the other.

The real issues I had with the Revo were a result of how I fish.  I'm almost always in or very near the weeds or getting up close and personal with the reefs.  Arriving on site, I'd need to pull the Mirage drive and bring up the rudder then use the paddle to control my position until it was time to drop the drive in place and head home.  How one fishes is part one of how YMMV.

Yes, you can pull the Mirage drive - if you see the problem before you're into it or if you aren't drifting as you're fighting or landing a fish (or in the fog or untangling line or fiddling with the fish-finder or watching the clouds go by...).  Other times, you're hog-tied before you know what happened and a thick wad of kelp is enough to make it nearly impossible to yank out the drive to clear it.  Eyes on the road is part two of how YMMV.

It's a personal thing.  I've owned a Revo, I don't care for them - but not because they aren't stable and confidence-inspiring.  Me, myself, I don't need the Mirage drive.  It doesn't help me, and it costs way more than it's worth (to me).
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
I've had Ms. Salma (my Revo kayak) for almost ten years now and I've been out on the ocean for almost that long. Originally I would go out without my sidekicks (amas) because I thought they would get in the way, which they did a bit so I tried them in the front of the drive (not bad) or behind the rear kayak well (instead of directly behind the seat, and in those ten years, I have only had a yard sale when I didn't use them to launch or beach - not once since I've used them. When I'm on calmer waters, I generally don't use them like on lakes or slow rivers (with little to no wind).

Also, where the current is out in that NNW edge of Haystack where the feedback comes off of it and any kayak can get a little more tippy, I feel much more confident when I'm out there. I can also get up to my knees and turn around completely when wrangling fish into my cooler in the back or trying to access my front hatch (rarely).

The other thing is the seat that I use when I'm out there. I have an air pad that sits a little higher and when I first started using it I could feel a little movement from side to side when I shifted and I would worry that I might tip, which I did once in shallower water. Now, I can peddle in comfort AND stability...

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."