Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:04:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: PC Crab Theft  (Read 3252 times)

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
If the State Police or local sheriff's office has the resources nearby they might show up to investigate your claim, but I think the TIP line is more oriented as a way for the public to provide information on currently active investigations.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Sorry fellas they ain’t going to do squat, I’m not throwing him under the bus by dropping names but “ until the crabs are in your possession there not yours so no one stole them from you , we don’t have the resources for that unless the guy is pulling multiple limits per occupancy on his vessel” right out the horses mouth.

Edit: been going on in Tillamook bay since I started yaking here, I do know one guy here got busted because the warden watched him pull way more pots then allowed for being the only guy on his boat, after a full party dropped all the pots. Guess his family or friends didn’t want to go out for the mid day check. And I was told he checked my traps as well as his , I got distinct bouys and the warden said he watched him pull them but only sited the guy for more traps then allowed and over limit on board a vessel.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 08:19:11 AM by Mojo Jojo »

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I think the TIP line is more oriented as a way for the public to provide information on currently active investigations.

That may be, but that's not how the TIPS line is advertised.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
#notalawyer...but

F&G enforcement from OSP are free to search your person, vehicle, etc. without a warrant. I'm not sure county mounties have the same authority and it's doubtful the word of a private citizen would carry enough weight to detain someone and get a judge to issue the warrant.

So, I think it's less a case of "the TIP line sucks" and more of that we live in a pretty large state geographically, there's only so many troopers, and people have rights.

It could be an important tool for LE to see patterns of resources being exploited (times, dates, places) so that they can be watched more closely. And, if one individual happens to get away with being a shithead today after you reported them, maybe a license plate or boat registration # left on the TIP line leads to a little closer scrutinization on one of their future outings.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I would imagine too if the TIP line kept getting reports of the same boat/reg# doing shady things that follow-up would be more likely to occur. 

In my instance OSP is essentially stationed out at Sauvie since so much shady stuff/game violations happen out there with careless and irresponsible hunters.  Could not be a typical response, but also its easier to drive out to someone at a pre-determined blind location vs. trying to find someone on the water or at a landing port.  Even if they followed up with that person after the fact by going to the location where the boat was registered, unless they had those traps in their possession or were over limits, it would be very hard to enforce anything.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
#notalawyer...but

F&G enforcement from OSP are free to search your person, vehicle, etc. without a warrant. I'm not sure county mounties have the same authority and it's doubtful the word of a private citizen would carry enough weight to detain someone and get a judge to issue the warrant.

So, I think it's less a case of "the TIP line sucks" and more of that we live in a pretty large state geographically, there's only so many troopers, and people have rights.

It could be an important tool for LE to see patterns of resources being exploited (times, dates, places) so that they can be watched more closely. And, if one individual happens to get away with being a shithead today after you reported them, maybe a license plate or boat registration # left on the TIP line leads to a little closer scrutinization on one of their future outings.

To whatever degree you're responding to me: I completely get what you're saying, but you're missing my point. Really all I expect is someone to acknowledge that they received the information. Neither the web form nor the phone line elicits any response and it comes across as shouting into a black hole. I'm not trying to get hunting points or whatever, I just don't like seeing a resource I enjoy being abused, and the mechanism they've given me is the TIPS line, until I figured out it was better to just contact LE directly. I'm 100% OK with them saying, "Hey, we got your report, and we want to look into it but we don't have the resources at the moment."

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
The tip line must be a YMMV situation. 

I've called the OR tip twice in the last year.  Both times I spoke with a human dispatcher within 4 rings. 

The first call was about an illegal gillnet.  Two OSP vehicles arrived in about 30 minutes.  The second call was about a three person group snagging steelhead in a thermal sanctuary.  Made the call soon after I arrived.  Watched them go at it while I fished for about three hours.  Never saw enforcement.  To be fair they were gone when I landed, don't know if they got busted or just left.

I wish OR and WA could each put 100 more officers in the field.  Poaching is rampant.  Take the money from something in the budget unnecessary, like schools or health inspectors. ;D 8)

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
The officer I finally spoke to in the end, seemed very sympathetic and willing to help.
He was quite obviously familiar with the specific dory boats that frequent PC, thought he knew the light blue boat we described. However, without being able to supply him with a definitive boat name, #, or photographic proof, all he could do is, start a file and make notes of what had transpired so far.
I have the the agent's direct phone # now, and he encouraged us to follow up with any additional info, as we come across it.
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

anything