Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:44:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:40:17 PM]

[Today at 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Anybody fish with a rubber net?  (Read 1581 times)

Crabman

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
As a kayak fisherman, I often find myself spending 20 minutes trying to extricate my salmon and plug or spinner from my net after the catch.  My question is would a rubber or some other kind of net alleviate this problem?  If so, would be interested in a specific manufacturer.

LawyerBob

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
I haven’t noticed too much of a difference in less net snags. However, a rubber/silicone net is supposed to not mangle fish as bad as a knotted nylon one, should you have to release what you caught. Removing the slime coat is often fatal. Not exactly the same thing, but same principal:

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I got tired of wasting valuable fishing time untangling lures from nylon and rubber-coated-nylon nets, and now all of my fishing nets are rubber.  A rubber net greatly reduces the time required to untangle a lure from your net.  For lake trout and salmon, I use a large deep Ego net.  See https://www.egofishing.com/products/kryptek-s2-slider/large-deep-rubber-net/ or https://www.egofishing.com/products/S1-Genesis/Kryptek-S1-Nets/kryptek-large-deep-rubber-net/. For kayak fishing, I replace the slider handle with a short handle. https://www.egofishing.com/products/handles/s1-genesis-13in-handle/.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 09:01:31 PM by pmmpete »

KillerBeaver

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
Ditto on the rubber net. I bass fish a lot and hate spending time untangling treble hooks.
2022 Hobie PA 14 360 Ike Edition
2020 Hobie Outback (Sold)
2018 Feel Free Lure 11.5 w/Overdrive (Sold)

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I have a smaller Frabill rubber net that I use for trout fishing. Since I release almost all trout, it's about the most fish-friendly net for CnR fishing. Hooks still get caught in the mesh if a fish is thrashing around in it, but it's a little quicker to remove the hook compared to a nylon mesh.

My other, larger nets are either rubber-coated nylon or nylon nets. I've used rubber salmon nets before, but I don't care for the weight and their slow movement through the water (too much water resistance from the rubber mesh). My salmon/lingcod "kill net" is a nylon net, as it's lighter and more nimble moving through the water compared to rubber or rubber-coated nylon.

The rubber-coated nylon is a good all-around net. Fish-friendly for CnR, hooks aren't as difficult to remove from the mesh compared to nylon, and they're not as heavy as a rubber net. Promar makes some nice rubber-coated nylon nets, along with Beckman. Look at the weight of the nets, especially if you're looking at a large rubber-mesh net...when trying to scoop a big Chinook with one hand, the net weight can make a huge difference in your success.
aMayesing Bros.

BentRod

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I bought a rubber net for C&R trout/bass fishing a few years back.  I love it as the hooks just don't get caught up like in the nylon mesh.  I recently got a rubber salmon net as last season on Lake WA I spent WAY to much time untangling treble hooks from my nylon mesh net....I agree they create more drag and are heavier in general, but I won't miss cursing my plugs that are wrapped up in the netting. 

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
I love my large rubber net when in my PB as generally one person is on the pole and one is handling the net (with two hands).   From the kayaks I prefer a rubber coated nylon which is easier to handle one handed.  I second pmmpete on the EGO Kryptek rubber net which does not have near the drag as my PB net. 
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

bpm2000

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Beckman coated large for salmon/big fish (true rubber large nets are $$$).         

I have a smaller full rubber EGO for bass C&R.

Both are highly recommended over a braided/nylon type net.
formerly known as smokeondawater

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Does anybody make a rubber-coated-nylon net which resists entanglement and hooking as well as a rubber net, but which is stronger than a rubber net because of the nylon cords inside the rubber? I owned several rubber-coated-nylon nets, and hooks got twisted up in the nets, and barbed hooks also pierced the nylon and were difficult to remove. The only problem I've had with my rubber nets is that when big fish with sharp teeth get their jaw jammed into the net and they twist around, they can cut the rubber.  When that happens to a rubber net, I repair the net with strips of duct tape.  But fish probably wouldn't be able to break or cut a rubber net reinforced with nylon.