Forum > Oregon Kayak Fishing

Swan Island Launch

(1/2) > >>

BugBoy:
Still feeling in the holiday spirit, I thought a sturgeon sleigh ride would be a fun way to spend an afternoon. The Swan Island Lagoon was always a fun place for a low key fishing adventure, out of the flow of the Willamette. So I checked out the boat ramp last week to see what condition it was in.  EEEKKKK!!! It has become a RV encampment (not unexpected).  I wouldnt feel safe leaving my vehicle parked there while out fishing. I am wondering if there are any other launch points that folks use to chase sturgeon in this area?

Happy New Year and tight lines!

Captain Redbeard:
Cathedral Park is just downstream under the St. John's bridge. It wouldn't be a trivial jaunt upstream in a kayak, but it wouldn't be too terrible.

I'm not promising that Cathedral Park will be any better, however. The last time I was there (around Thanksgiving) the bathroom had feces smeared on the walls and there were needles on the floor.

Dungydog:
(no snarkiness intended) if you're not numb yet to the homeless encampments and risk of car vandalism then you're not getting out enough.

Matt M:
Generally I feel better about parking at Cathedral (or swan island for that matter) once the springer fishing picks up there's nicer trucks and trailers there than what I am rolling with. Not that it's ever "safe" but I feel a bit better with people coming and going more frequently than happens right now. With that being said the "Toyota hole" not far from cathedral park is a great spot to fish if you don't mind anchoring up.

BugBoy:
Thanks for the advice! I am not sure that I am ready to learn how to anchor at this time of year with the high flows. Will post if I find any other launches for dino rides!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version