Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 11:51:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Plap
[Today at 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Targeting Springers on the Columbia  (Read 11668 times)

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Not a bad idea. Any reports of fish being landed out there this early?

Noah, thanks for the rigging advice.  I'm really looking forward to testing things out this weekend.  I must admit I'm not too excited about the I-5 PB zoo.  Anyone ever try the Multnomah Channel right near the bridge to Sauvie Island.  Seems like you could launch right near that parking lot on the Island side of the bridge.
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
The channel is blown out. I haven't heard of any fish being caught there for a while.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Noah, thanks for the rigging advice.  I'm really looking forward to testing things out this weekend.  I must admit I'm not too excited about the I-5 PB zoo.  Anyone ever try the Multnomah Channel right near the bridge to Sauvie Island.  Seems like you could launch right near that parking lot on the Island side of the bridge.

The channel can be good once turbidity drops.  That said, nearly the entire length of the Willamette from the falls to the mouth and down the length of the channel is easily fishable from a kayak. 

BTW, I haven't been able to find the water access right under the bridge.  You either have to travel up to Freds or down to the park before you have easy water access.

-Spot- 
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

crazyeyes

• Perch
  • 2011 Hobie Adventure
  • Date Registered: Feb 2011
The PB zoo isn't as bad as you think as long as your trolling the same direction as everyone else, just make sure that you make it easy for them to see you, and try and stay close to shore while traveling back up river. One lesson I learned was the current on the Oregon side of the river seemed slower than the Washington side near the ship channel, and when passing under the I-5 bridge current really picks up.  Bring lots of lead, I was using 10oz two weeks ago to keep my stuff down toward the bottom, with the river rising, you might even need more than that.
If it wasn't for flashbacks, I'd have no memories at all.

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Well, it's almost Saturday! After the clinic last night I'm itching to try some of those techniques. Unfortunately I won't be able to join everybody on Sunday at the coast. :(
Anybody want to form a little Springer group for tomorrow? Doesn't have to be the I5 zoo but if that's all we got I'm down for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
My son and I will probably try out if Camas Marina Sunday and Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Hobie Tandem Island. OK Tetra 12, Jackson Coosa

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
After it looked to be picking up, the Gleason fish checked said they had 5 fish for 63 boats at about 3:00 today :(

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Its been painfully slow.  :(     I will wait for the Willamette to clear  and pass on the Columbia for now unless I hear a complete reversal in the daily reports. 

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
I'm looking at hitting the Columbia later next week if anyone wants to head out. I'm looking for a splash jacket or dry top to go with my breathables.

I gotta say that another thing that I liked about last night's get-together was the emphasis to carry less gear on deck. I have a big Field and Stream bag that weighs 20 lbs. Using a smaller marine box (with an attached rod holder) along with a cooler for bait will leave me a lot of room for more fish on my Revo 13. I love it. Great idea. Take what you need for the day - not for the whole season.

True

True
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

crazyeyes

• Perch
  • 2011 Hobie Adventure
  • Date Registered: Feb 2011
I fished Saturday and Sunday, Saturday from the Hobie in the I-5 area and Sunday on a PB in the Catapiler island and Davis bar stretch. Nothing either days, I didn't even see anyone else land one. When we pulled out Sunday talked to a fish checker and they had recorded 2 fish for 20 boats.  The guide friends I was out with on Sunday had boated one fish Saturday and that was there only fish so far this season.  Definitely if your going to attempt the Columbia watch your tides, Saturday on the way back to the launch the current was ripping and I was lucky to be moving at 1 - 1.5 mph upriver in my Hobie Adventure.  If I would have been paddling I would have been SOL.
If it wasn't for flashbacks, I'd have no memories at all.

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen

Any word on the video of the "Springer Seminar" ? Those of us that couldn't be there in person would surely like to have a chance to learn long distance.
          Haven't heard or seen anything about an "on the water clinic " either.What's up ??????
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007

Any word on the video of the "Springer Seminar" ? Those of us that couldn't be there in person would surely like to have a chance to learn long distance.
          Haven't heard or seen anything about an "on the water clinic " either.What's up ??????

I'm working on cutting down the footage to an hour.  Hopefully I'll have it soon.

As for the on the water clinic, it'll all depend on the rivers  They're super high at the moment and all the traffic is concentrated above the Willamette.  Not a large area.  I'll keep y'all updated as the conditions warrant.

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

4cznskier

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: May 2012
Is the springer fishing very good upriver - north of Wenatchee to Brewster? I just bought a Tarpon 120 and am totally new to salmon fishing. Definetly planning to hit some triploids at Rufus Woods too.

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
Wow, not sure if we have any members in that area. I've got a buddy from Wenatchee who fished there with a guide last summer and did well from a power boat. 
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Hobie Tandem Island. OK Tetra 12, Jackson Coosa

anything