Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 06:03:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:19:54 AM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Measure 81  (Read 2546 times)

Kyle M

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
If we've already addressed this here, can someone direct me to the thread?  I couldn't find it with a simple search. 

Just got my ballot in the mail today and wanted to check in with this group since my interests are more in line with you folks than any other group on this interest.  My initial feeling was that banning Oregon commercial gillnets on the Columbia would be good for this group, but have read that financial support from this measure is mostly coming from Washington residents, and Washington gillnetters will still be allowed on the river.

Since this isn't as hot a topic as... say.... SUP fishing, my hope is that we can keep the discussion civilized? ;)

Kyle

Dan_E

• Lingcod
  • Formerly known as Indyflyer
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
The CCA got this on the ballot but now have changed their mind, in favor of the Governor's effort through ODFW to restrict gill nets access to limited areas of the river.  WA & OR fish & game are supposed to work together to apply the limitations to  everyone, whereas measure 81 would only apply to Oregon based gillnetters.

Kyle M

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
OK, I like the sound of that.

topwater

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
i am not a huge fan of the initiative process in most cases, but i think cca is doing themselves a disservice in trusting politicians to ban non-selective fishing gear.  if i could, i would vote for this just like i proudly voted for the two failed initiatives in washington to ban non-selective fisheries.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
So how did the vote on this turn out?
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Measure 81 failed but still got 1/3 of the vote with the main backers no longer endorsing it and no marketing or advertising.  The joint OR and WA plan is supposed to be finalized by early December. 

sherminator

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Received the following email from ODFW today:

November 16, 2012

SALEM, Ore. –A joint Oregon/Washington work group considering changes to sport and commercial fisheries on the lower Columbia River concluded its work yesterday by adopting a set of recommendations to be considered by the Oregon and Washington Fish and Wildlife Commissions.

The Columbia River Fisheries Management Workgroup is comprised of three representatives each from the Oregon and Washington Fish and Wildlife Commissions, agency staff and advisors. It began meeting in September at the request of Oregon Governor John Kitzhaber to consider changes that would enhance recreational fishing in the mainstem of the river and concentrate gill net commercial harvest in the off-channel select areas.

The recommendations, which still must be approved by the Oregon and Washington Fish and Wildlife Commissions, call for removing non-tribal commercial gill nets off the mainstem of the river by 2017 and transitioning to alternative gear such as beach and purse seines. At the same time, hatchery production of coho and spring and fall chinook within the select areas would be increased to offset loss of mainstem fisheries.

Also under the plan, the sport fishing share of most mainstem fisheries would gradually increase to 80 percent of spring chinook, 100 percent of summer chinook and up to 80 percent of fall chinook by 2017.

Other elements of the plan include:

Reconsidering the 2013 sturgeon season based on the results of the 2012 stock assessment.
    Implementing a barbless hook rule for the mainstem Columbia River and tributary salmon and steelhead fisheries beginning in 2013.
    Considering a Columbia River salmon and steelhead license surcharge for Oregon anglers to help fund management activities, including the transition to alternative commercial gear and enhancements to select areas.

A final version of the all the recommendations will be posted at http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/OSCRP/CRM/LMCR_fisheries_mgmt_reform.asp as soon as it is available.
The Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission will consider the recommendations at its Dec. 7 meeting in Portland.
15x tournament loser
2011 Hobie Oasis (yellow)
2014 Hobie Revo  (red)
2017 Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler XL

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
That confirms my fears that the CCA totally dropped the ball throwing in with the goveners "plan".  Disappointing :-\

anything