Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 08:39:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:07:13 AM]

[Today at 06:31:12 AM]

[Today at 06:30:19 AM]

[June 01, 2024, 07:16:37 PM]

[May 31, 2024, 09:49:03 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:48:30 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:40:29 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 02:46:19 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 01:49:12 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:59:33 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:42:05 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:40:13 AM]

by Spot
[May 29, 2024, 11:32:10 AM]

[May 28, 2024, 07:37:19 AM]

[May 28, 2024, 06:19:06 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Portland-area shad?  (Read 3870 times)

ThreeWeight

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Howdy folks,

Anyone in the Portland area have any interest in a kayak-based shad fishing trip?  They are starting to show up at Bonneville dam, and I'd like to collect some crab bait  ;D

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
Lo-Budget Northwest Tarpon sounds like a winner!   What better way to get the stink off the boat than by putting some stink in it. Might want to break out at least a 6wt though.

And I don't know if you noticed, but it's Mother's Day this weekend and getting a day pass may be a bit dicey.

"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

ThreeWeight

• Salmon
Hey, an excuse to pick up another fly rod!  I did pick up some small spoons at Fishermen's Marine the other day to try on spin tackle.

I've heard Coon Island on the Multnomah Channel is a low-key place to fish for these guys, so that's where I'm aiming.  Of course, the Columbia is really ripping right now.  I'm open to trying anywhere.

I may go camping with the wife this weekend (luckily, our only kid is a 45 pound cow dog).  But I'd love to give this a shot one evening after work next week.

Coon Island is one of my favorite haunts. It can be a little tricky anchoring there though. The best Shadding is on the East side and the channel necks down a bit and speeds up.  But you are pedaling your boat too right? It should not be a problem.
I won't even fix my mouth to say "I'll try" this weekend. I have a mother, a mother-in-law, my wife and my 8 year old baby girl (that I sometimes wish was a Cow dog) to contend with. Actually,I'd keep the 8 yo and trade-in  the mother-in-law (yes, I know I'l pay for that) ::)

There is a good "beach" launch on Sauvie Island near Coon Island. Get a parking pass at the store and drive north (?) to the end on NW Sauvie Island Rd. then drive through the gate and keep driving till you run out of road. The launch will be on your left and drops you into the channel about a 1/2 mile upriver from Coon Island.

Next week after work could be a diffinite possibility.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 02:01:33 PM by Fishesfromtupperware »

ThreeWeight

• Salmon
I made it out to the landing you suggested a few weekends ago... it was packed with bank fishers, unfortunately, and the tide was really ripping that day.  I don't have an anchor system on my boat yet, so I chickened out and decided to go get some paddling (peddling?) experience on the wetlands in the interior of Sauvies Island.  Had a fun day exploring, saw some cool critters.  And giant carp.  everywhere.  If the water was not so murky there, it would be a fun place to try for carp on a fly (and get towed around in the kayak).

Anyway, I'd still like to try this.  Is it possible with no anchor system?  I have most of the parts to build on for my boat now, just need to find the time to do it.

Is it possible with no anchor system?

In a word? yep!

I launched at Cedar Oak Ramp in West Linn today and pedaled up to the base of the Falls in OC  :o  Pedaling is the lick! I just broke my "waterproof" digital or I'd have some killer pics. The water was hummin! (going REAL fast) and the Hobie just slid right over it at a casual pace. OC (Oregon City) was a parking lot (LOTS of boats) and the Hobie threaded the needle like a jet ski. I literally pedaled up to the base of the falls and I really think if I'd kicked harder I could have gone up and over them. Okay, maybe not but it was great to have gone upstream into VERY heavy current with relatively light exertion. ALL of the power boats were working hard to go up the same stream.   

Hands free boat handling is SWEET (okay, one-handed). The boat steers kinda like a single screw inboard and you have to have a bit of headway to get it turning. But once you get the hang of it, its the greatest thing since the last thing that was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I even turned the drive around to try back pedaling against the current to try to hold position with the bow downstream and it was a bit too effective. I couldn't get any headway with the current and needed to use the paddle. I think that could be mastered with practice. But for now holding in heavy current with the bow upstream and almost no effort will have to do.

I got 7 Shad to the boat and only 3 in it (I forgot my net  ::) )Shad pull surprisingly hard and I ended up having to beach my fish.

3wt: I think a coastal trip is brewing for next weekend. Are you up?

Wali

ThreeWeight

• Salmon
I put a few miles on my kayak yesterday... I went out to Sauvie Island again, all the way to the Gilbert River Boat Ramp, then kayaked up the channel to Coon Island.  Memorial day may not have been the ideal time to experiment with trolling via kayak, as I spent a large part of the afternoon surfing wakes from giant 30+ cruisers and sail boats (that and dodging high speed passes by folks barreling up the channel between anchored shad boats).

Not much catching was had by any of the folks at Coon Island... maybe 6 boats anchored there.  I marked a few fish on my sonar, but had no bites (was trolling a silver and red dick nite spoon on a diver).  Not even a nibble for me.

My boat did great in the current, and really hauled butt on the way back (was cruising at 5 to 5.5 mph according to my gps).  Kept pace with a driftboat with a small kicker motor heading back to the ramp. 

One problem I had though was holding a steady line in the current... Not sure if my rudder cord needs to be tightened (it has a little play in it), but I would constantly veer off a straight path and need to correct while trying to hold position.

Coastal trip interests me, but given that I now have a grand total of maybe 15 miles on my kayak, I'm not sure I'm ready for an ocean trip.  Is this the Beverly Beach launch?

fulltimenut

• Herring
I doubt Tup would mind, so I'll answer for him,

"Coastal trip interests me, but given that I now have a grand total of maybe 15 miles on my kayak, I'm not sure I'm ready for an ocean trip.  Is this the Beverly Beach launch?"

It was, but now we're talking about something a li'l closer for us Portland folk - possibly Cascade Head or Pacific City. Do what you feel is right, but know that you won't be the only newbie out there. I think FFTW and Will are the only thing like old hands that we seem to have on hand. For me, it sounds like a big upgrade considering I went out pretty much stone cold solo a week ago. Safety in numbers, you know?

Either way, we'll keep a spot open for you for later.