Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 10:12:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:52:48 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Kayak fishing Ninilchic and Homer  (Read 3344 times)

Grumpy

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
I am from NCKA (Norcal Kayak Anglers) and I will be in Ninilchick and Homer during the next two weeks.  I have my Hobie Revo and light tackle with me.  I do most of my fishing/diving in Northern CA for rockfish, lings and abalone.  Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
You may also want to post your inquiry to the Alaska Fishing sub-forum. 
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Hey hey!  There are a few of us from Alaska on this board.  Where are you going to be based out of?  I grew up in the Kenai/Soldotna area. 

They are still doing fairly well from Deep Creek/Ninilchik area.  If you have a 4 wheel drive, then the place to hit I think is the beaches off deep creek.  You need to be mindful of the King special conservation zone in that area.  Basically you need to drive/paddle two miles south of the Deep Creek campground before you can start fishing.  If you can't drive the beach, the best launch is at Whiskey Gulch.  Super steep unpaved road but with a running start, my civic gets up it.  There are RV's down there too.  The bad news is the Kings are winding down their first run and the first run is much more numerous than the second run.  The good news is the second run has yet to start but they tend to be twice the size of the first run.

If the weather is rougher in the Inlet, I'd try the waters off the Nick Dudiak fishing lagoon in Homer for Kings. 

Another option is depending on the weather to take a water taxi over to Halibut Cove or Seldovia.  I haven't fished over there in decades but its supposed to be simply amazing.

If you are in the area, Seward is a few hours out and is a possibility as well. 

PM me if ya like.  I am a lifelong Alaska fisherman but very new to Kayak fishing.  They are super old but you can try to look at www.alaskafishinglogs.com or my more recent blog in my signature line for some ideas.
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
You may also want to post your inquiry to the Alaska Fishing sub-forum.

I moved this thread there!   ;)

-Allen

Grumpy

• Krill
Thanks Allen.

I missed Chris in Seward but I was able to get out and get fish for dinner.  Nice to see that Chris uses actual Ocean Kayak sit on tops.  Those are the only ones I've seen up here.  I had a nice paddle along the shoreline south of Chris' place.   I launched at the state park and paddled from the beach down to a large sandbar about a mile south.  I fished from 4 ft in the kelp to over 100 with no action and almost no structure.   The water gets very deep very close to shore.  Conditions were perfect--a little wind and about a 2 ft chop.

When I got back to the park, I noticed that about a dozen people were  bank fishing.  I figured that someone must catch something for that many people to be fishing.  I went out just far enough to give the bank fishers plenty of room and I started hooking up.  I caught some 8" trout looking fish on a teaser above a 3 oz Hopkins, with Gulp minnows on both.  I landed a couple of flounders, the bigger one 18", on the Hopkins.  I picked up two rockfish but I couldn't determine from regs what they were.  One had large sharp guards above the eyes similar to a Calif. cabezone.  The mouth also resembled a cab but the color was different than Calif. cabs.

I had a fish for dinner and I could finally say I caught an ocean fish in Alaska.  When I arrived on the beach I couldn't believe the reception from the people who had been watching.  There were three college kids who had only caught one fish all day.  They said they have to get a kayak.  Of course I told them to go see Chris at Liquid Adventures.

Thanks again for the tips.

Doug

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
One had large sharp guards above the eyes similar to a Calif. cabezone.  The mouth also resembled a cab but the color was different than Calif. cabs.

Sounds like the ubiquitous Alaskan sculpin.

-Allen

bjoakland

• Salmon
  • Piscis Venator
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Did it look like this?

•• If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~ Doug Larson ••

Grumpy

• Krill
Allen,

They were sculpins.

Yak Monkey,

Mine didn't have nearly as much color, mostly dark brown and black, no orange.

Grumpy

• Krill
Rudy,

Did you pick up your outback yet?  I spent a couple of days bank fishing the rivers and watching the drift boats.  I would love to try a Hobie Mirage in some of the slower moving rivers and creeks.

I spent the last two days filling the freezer with clams but I am going to try and get the yak out between Nilnilchic and Deep Creek tomorrow.  I hope to fish the last hour of the outgoing  (1151 am) and the fisrst hour of the incoming.  Let me know if you want to hook up.

anything