Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:34:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Board of Fish to consider winter king changes  (Read 2390 times)

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016

The Board of Fish will be conducting their 3 year cycle meeting to consider new proposals for regulations changes for the Lower Cook Inlet region. This will cover commercial, sport fish, and personal use fisheries found in Lower Cook Inlet. The meeting begins Wednesday Nov. 30 through Dec. 3 at the Federal Islands and Oceans Center at the edge of town. The public is welcome and encouraged to attend and participate with your voice on these matters that affect all of us.

Here is a brief excerpt from the Peninsula Clarion article that will settle the debate ONCE & FOR ALL regarding the source of king salmon found in Cook Inlet and Kachemak Bay during the period from October 1 through March 31, otherwise known as winter kings and feeder kings.
---------

"The report details genetic and coded wire tag mixed stock analysis conducted between 2014 and 2016. Although the study is not yet finished, the results so far have shown that approximately 99.8 percent of the king salmon sampled in the winter periods of 2014 and 2015 — which the study defines as Oct. 1–March 31 — are stocks from outside Cook Inlet."

---------
Here is the complete Peninsula Clarion article:
http://peninsulaclarion.com/news/2016-11-28/board-of-fish-to-consider-winter-king-changes
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
that is an interesting article, as is the winter king season up there, I have been wondering about 2 things:

is this fishery only hatchery kings or are wild fish also retained?

the article makes very clear the concern for the Upper Cook Inlet fish which begs the question- whose kings are being caught?  just knowing they are not UCI fish seems like half the answer; knowing what runs these winter kings are coming from, and confirming those runs are strong, seems just as important...unless it is all just hatchery kings, in which case, never mind... ;D

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

jsfishndreams

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Roger it is an any fish retention fishery. No adipose clipping up here, and correct me if I am wrong guys there is not a place I know of in Alaska where it is only hatchery fish that can be kept.  We have some real strict regulations on the rainbows and dollies that can be retained as well as a lot of fly only areas.  There are a lot of places where it is not legal to keep any salmon due to low numbers but they are awesome catch and release fisheries and if you peg a bead on your rod you can catch a ton of really nice trout/dollies.

easyyakker

• Lingcod
The Kasilof River has some regulations related to hatchery fish. The regs are a bit strange. '....fish with an adipose fin may be kept only on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays..."

jsfishndreams

• Herring
Huh never knew that about the Kasilof, I know we have some pretty weird rules. I have only dip netted on the kasilof and I will never make that mistake again.  I watched some guy park his truck too close on the tide and almost lose and only to have to abandon his trailer.  The tide went out and he got it back but it was a little heavier lol. There are so many fisheries to get on that are much closer before I make a run down there.  Although the Brewery and pizza places down that way are pretty good, I forget the name of one of the two are called but my daughter and I stop at Sacketts and the other nice pizza/Micro brewery in sterling.  That might be another good question everyone's favorite places to stop off at during the fishing season.   

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
St Elias brewery in Soldotna is pretty darned good pizza.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
KK, when/how does the board announce their decisions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
L_S

I briefly spoke with Shane as he was driving back from Anchorage. He wasn't able to attend but many of his fellow private and charter king fishing buddies were at the meeting and spoke up with public testimony as well as the Homer ADFG Advisory Committee recommendations and what they opposed or supported. From what I gathered from his disappointment was the Board of Fish completely ignored the 2+ year coded wire tag and DNA tracking data the F&G department has been working on. No consideration of the scientific facts.

It sounds like they ended up raising the guideline harvest level another 1000 which would put it at 4000. There was a change in the "Winter" calendar period which now begins on September 1st thru March 31 for the period you don't have to record kings on your license. That would create the possibility of the Elks 2 day king derby moving to even more favorable weather and temperature conditions but there might be a negative attached to that. If the GHL is enforced, it could be that goal is reached BEFORE the Elks Derby meaning the season would be closed to fishing and they lose. That might be a likely scenario if the GHL is based on a Jan-Dec calendar.

BUT, if the calendar for GHL is based on the "summer" and "winter" period and starts on September 1 thru August 31 then the March Chamber Derby might be eliminated because quotas were already reached and the season closed.

I guess the 2 per day remained.  Don't know how Rudy's proposal fared regarding putting in an allowance for non-powered water craft to continue fishing for other species (halibut) after catching a king in the "conservation zones." I know ADFG had wanted to modify or eliminate that CZ complexity.

I'll be getting in touch with Homer ADFG today and see if they have a Yea/Nay/"Yea with mods" summary put together yet like the Soldotna office does for Upper Cook Inlet.  I'll post the results unless a newspaper article comes out with a summary first.

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
OK HOT OFF THE PRESS!

This is the Peninsula Clarion article posted at 11:40am today. The GHL was actually set at 4500.  Everything else on the table was apparently thrown out except for the 1 extra month added to "winter."

Its obvious our board is comprised of business types with no scientific education or background. Time for the voters to start denying confirmation of new BOF appointees if they are not going to support personal use and sportfishing harvesters.

http://peninsulaclarion.com/news/2016-12-04/board-of-fish-denies-most-winter-kings-proposals

jsfishndreams

• Herring
how do they get appointed? I did not realize that was a public office, I thought they were an interior part of ADFW.

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
how do they get appointed? I did not realize that was a public office, I thought they were an interior part of ADFW.
Members of the Board of Fish and Board of Game are appointed by the Governor each time one or more of the seats duration expires. The members' "employment" is staggered so there are only a few seats open at any one time.  That keeps some continuity in the work flow of the process and keeps some experienced personnel on the panel to help with the transition of new members.

The appointees' names then go to the legislators in Juneau to be Confirmed or Denied. If confirmed they are seated. If denied then the Governor must give the legislators an alternate appointee to be approved.  It is this legislature process that allows the voters and all residents of Alaska to voice their opinion to their representatives about any concerns they have about the board members up for confirmation. Governor appointees in many agencies, not just BOF or BOG, have been denied in the past when the public feels the person(s) appointed would not make a good representative for that position or act in good faith for the benefit of Alaskans.