Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:42:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Lake trout fishing on Lindbergh Lake  (Read 6924 times)

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I was out of circulation from fishing for two weeks due to a 10-day 200-mile kayak trip on the Dolores River in southwest Colorado and eastern Utah.  As soon as I got back, I headed to Lindbergh Lake for a day of Lake Trout fishing.  It was fun, until I got chased off the lake by a series of wind and snow squalls.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 10:03:20 PM by pmmpete »

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Gorgeous lake and... laker? :)  Wish I could join you out there.  Looks amazing.
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

PablitoPescador

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Nov 2015
Nice work! You make it look easy

Dwight

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
What do you prefer as the best way to prepare lake trout for the table?

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
Any salmon recipe works fine with lake trout.  Here is a favorite easy recipe for lake trout, kokanee, or whatever:  Sprinkle the lake trout fillets with black pepper, slather them with peach-mango or pineapple salsa, and bake them at 400 degrees until they are done.  Walmart sells a nice peach-mango salsa.

The lake trout from Flathead Lake, Lindbergh Lake, and other lakes that I am aware of in Western Montana are not at all oily, and they taste a lot like salmon.  However, in lakes which have a lot of kokanee, like Odell Lake in Washington, lake trout can be quite oily.  Flathead Lake used to have a great kokanee fishery, and the lake trout were very oily.  Old timers joked that if you tried to barbeque a lake trout, it would catch on fire.  But after the introduction of mysis shrimp to Flathead Lake, the kokanee fishery completely disappeared, and the lake trout are no longer oily.

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
So how was your 200 mile trip, Pete? Apparently you lived.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
So how was your 200 mile trip, Pete? Apparently you lived.
The Dolores trip was great, and yes I lived.  I posted some pictures on Facebook.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
I caught three lake trout on Lindbergh Lake on June 30, including a 30" and a 29."  And I lost two big ones next to my kayak.

I started the day by downrigger trolling, but when I trolled over a group of lake trout, I stopped and switched to jigging.  I quickly caught a pretty nice one, probably around 26 inches.  As I slid it into my net, the lure hooked on the mesh on the rim of the net.  Dang!  I tried to flop it over the rim and into the net about eight times, but eventually it pulled itself loose and disappeared into the deeps.  I should have tried to grab it with my lip gripper.

I kept jigging, and pretty soon I had a bigger mack on the line, probably 28"-30'.  But as I was pulling it towards my net it started thrashing around like a tarpon, got loose, and followed the first fish into the depths.

I jigged some more, and hooked a mack which put up quite a fight.  I succeeded in getting my net around that one.  It was 29 inches long.

The group of fish I was working dispersed, so I want back to downrigger trolling.  After a while I caught a 30" lake trout.

I kept fishing, alternating between downrigger trolling and jigging, and got various bites and a 23" lake trout.  After lunch, a series of rain and wind squalls drove me off the lake.

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Any salmon recipe works fine with lake trout.  Here is a favorite easy recipe for lake trout, kokanee, or whatever:  Sprinkle the lake trout fillets with black pepper, slather them with peach-mango or pineapple salsa, and bake them at 400 degrees until they are done.  Walmart sells a nice peach-mango salsa.

The lake trout from Flathead Lake, Lindbergh Lake, and other lakes that I am aware of in Western Montana are not at all oily, and they taste a lot like salmon.  However, in lakes which have a lot of kokanee, like Odell Lake in Washington, lake trout can be quite oily.  Flathead Lake used to have a great kokanee fishery, and the lake trout were very oily.  Old timers joked that if you tried to barbeque a lake trout, it would catch on fire.  But after the introduction of mysis shrimp to Flathead Lake, the kokanee fishery completely disappeared, and the lake trout are no longer oily.

Curious how you might expect Lake Chelan macks to be in terms oiliness.  They have a mysis shrimp population there, but also a substantial kokanee population.  Apparently the macks feed mostly on the mysis shrimp until they get fairly large, then they switch to feeding mostly on kokanee, and other trout.  Which means the smaller ones might not be especially oily, while the larger ones probably are oily?
2012 ORC 5th Place

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
I caught three lake trout on Lindbergh Lake on June 30, including a 30" and a 29."  And I lost two big ones next to my kayak.

I started the day by downrigger trolling, but when I trolled over a group of lake trout, I stopped and switched to jigging.  I quickly caught a pretty nice one, probably around 26 inches.  As I slid it into my net, the lure hooked on the mesh on the rim of the net.  Dang!  I tried to flop it over the rim and into the net about eight times, but eventually it pulled itself loose and disappeared into the deeps.  I should have tried to grab it with my lip gripper.

I kept jigging, and pretty soon I had a bigger mack on the line, probably 28"-30'.  But as I was pulling it towards my net it started thrashing around like a tarpon, got loose, and followed the first fish into the depths.

I jigged some more, and hooked a mack which put up quite a fight.  I succeeded in getting my net around that one.  It was 29 inches long.

The group of fish I was working dispersed, so I want back to downrigger trolling.  After a while I caught a 30" lake trout.

I kept fishing, alternating between downrigger trolling and jigging, and got various bites and a 23" lake trout.  After lunch, a series of rain and wind squalls drove me off the lake.

What kinds of jigs do you find to be effective?  How deep are you usually fishing for macks in Lindbergh Lake?  If I ever get my opportunity to hit Chelan I want to be set for the best possible success.
2012 ORC 5th Place

pmmpete

• Sturgeon

Curious how you might expect Lake Chelan macks to be in terms oiliness.  They have a mysis shrimp population there, but also a substantial kokanee population.  Apparently the macks feed mostly on the mysis shrimp until they get fairly large, then they switch to feeding mostly on kokanee, and other trout.  Which means the smaller ones might not be especially oily, while the larger ones probably are oily?
It makes sense that young Lake Chelan lake trout would not be oily, but older Lake Chelan lake trout would be oily.  However, things are sometimes more complicated than we may think.  For example, in Flathead Lake there is apparently one strain of lake trout which spends much of its life chowing down on Mysis Shrimp on the bottom in 200-300 feet of water, and another strain which spends most of its life in shallower water eating fish.  But there is a lot of variation in the color of Flathead Lake Macks, with some being a rich orange color, and others a light yellow color, and some of the small lake trout are orange, and other small lake trout are yellow.  And in Lindbergh Lake most of the lake trout are a rich orange color, but as far as I know there aren't any Mysis Shrimp in Lindbergh.  Get out to Lake Chelan, catch some Macks, and give us a report on their color and oiliness.

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon

It makes sense that young Lake Chelan lake trout would not be oily, but older Lake Chelan lake trout would be oily.  However, things are sometimes more complicated than we may think.  For example, in Flathead Lake there is apparently one strain of lake trout which spends much of its life chowing down on Mysis Shrimp on the bottom in 200-300 feet of water, and another strain which spends most of its life in shallower water eating fish.  But there is a lot of variation in the color of Flathead Lake Macks, with some being a rich orange color, and others a light yellow color, and some of the small lake trout are orange, and other small lake trout are yellow.  And in Lindbergh Lake most of the lake trout are a rich orange color, but as far as I know there aren't any Mysis Shrimp in Lindbergh.  Get out to Lake Chelan, catch some Macks, and give us a report on their color and oiliness.

Chelan is open for macks year round.  So I just need to find a good time in my schedule.  Might aim for sometime in the fall, or next spring.  Quite a bit of this fall is going to occupied with a business trip to India and the Netherlands.  Sadly, my usual opportunity of spring break for fishing trips (due to SWMBO taking the kids to Oregon) is getting messed up by the kids' academics lately being on 2-3 different spring break schedules.  So there's no single week where they're all off.  Some stuff is off one week, some the next week, and some the week after that, so she's not been leaving town.  And when she's home it's harder to get away.
2012 ORC 5th Place

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
What kinds of jigs do you find to be effective?  How deep are you usually fishing for macks in Lindbergh Lake?  If I ever get my opportunity to hit Chelan I want to be set for the best possible success.
The south half of Flathead Lake is in the Flathead Reservation, and the Resources Department of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes has prepared some excellent videos and brochures on catching lake trout in Flathead Lake via jigging, trolling, and dock fishing, which are available at http://www.mackdays.com/Movies/.  The videos contain interviews or presentations by experienced and successful lake trout anglers, and the brochures to a great job of summarizing the advice from those anglers.  The jigging brochure contains pictures of some jigging rigs favored by people who place high in the Mack Days derbies.  These are people who frequently catch their limit of 100 lake trout a day during Mack Days, so they know what they are doing.  Dick Zimmer at Zimmer Tackle in Pablo has some of their favorite rigs on display and for sale in his shop. You could call Dick and order a couple of rigs.  Follow the detailed advice about jigging technique in the brochure; it works.

These rigs are basically vertical lead jigs the length of your thumb with a treble hook, or round-head lead jigs with a single fixed hook, coupled with a fly which is on a separate leader, or is mounted on the leader to the lead jig.  You want a pretty heavy jig so you can get to the bottom fast when you're fishing in 180-300 feet of water, and so you can maintain a tight line at those depths.  Put a piece of cut bait about 1 inch square smeared with flavor on the lead jig; some anglers also put a small piece of bait on their fly as well.  Many anglers catch the majority of their lake trout on the fly rather than on the jig, particularly when targeting smaller lake trout.

My current favorite lake trout jigging rig is a green or chartreuse Zimmer "Rattle-D-Zaster" jig about three inches long (I think it's  1.5 oz), with a treble hook fly mounted on the leader for the jig about a foot above the jig.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 07:14:27 AM by pmmpete »

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
Chelan is open for macks year round.  So I just need to find a good time in my schedule.  Might aim for sometime in the fall, or next spring.  Quite a bit of this fall is going to occupied with a business trip to India and the Netherlands.  Sadly, my usual opportunity of spring break for fishing trips (due to SWMBO taking the kids to Oregon) is getting messed up by the kids' academics lately being on 2-3 different spring break schedules.  So there's no single week where they're all off.  Some stuff is off one week, some the next week, and some the week after that, so she's not been leaving town.  And when she's home it's harder to get away.
Fishing for lake trout in the fall is different from fishing for them in the spring or the summer, because in the fall they come in to shallower water to spawn.  Ask people who fish Chelan Lake frequently about where to fish for Macks at different times of the year.  Although Lake Trout usually hang out on the bottom in deep water, in the winter I've caught a lot of lake trout in 4-6 feet of water in East Bay on Flathead Lake, which is a large shallow bay. They come in to the bay to eat perch.  It's pretty cool to be able to watch down your hole as great big lake trout swim up, grab your bait, and run off with it, only a few feet below the surface.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
I caught a 30.5" and a 28" lake trout by jigging for a couple hours the morning of July 4.  I lost a bigger fish, probably 32"-34", from my net.  The lure got hooked in the net, it got its tail on the rim of my 24" x 20" net and flipped itself out of the net, the lure popped loose, and it waved goodbye with its tail as it headed for the bottom.  I should have raised the rim of the net higher.