Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 10:04:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Plap
[Today at 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Gulf Islands/ San Juans the first week of August  (Read 1727 times)

• Date Registered: Nov 2009
I'll be staying on Galiano Island in the Gulf Islands the first week of August. What kind of opportunities for kayak fishing exist out there this time of year?

Since moving from the midwest about a year and a half ago, the only saltwater fishing I've done from my kayak was humpy and coho action off whidbey last year (plus unsuccessful blackmouth attempts).

I'm up for anything...including bottom fish. Species? Gear?

Thanks,
John

h_chris_e

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jul 2010
I to am going to the San Juan Islands the first week of August if everything lines up with my buddy and me.  Although  I was thinking of heading to Jones Island or maybe Sucia Islands which would be a little south east from you.  I noticed this post by NANOOK about his trip the beginning of June.  
http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,4854.0.html

I know there is bottom fish but there should be some Salmon too.  About 8 years ago I fished with my G/F's dad at that time we fished for salmon farther north about mid way up Vancouver Island in June.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:14:52 PM by h_chris_e »

Yep, just figured the action was a little different in August than June.

Anyone know if there is any bottom fish going on? Tips for tackle to bring?

bjoakland

• Salmon
  • Piscis Venator
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Anyone know if there is any bottom fish going on?

If you are on the U.S. side of the line, be sure you don't fish deeper than 120'.  You also can't target or retain halibut, lingcod or rockfish inside Area 5 (meaning that the area this post refers to is closed).  So, bottom fishing on the U.S. side is quite limited.  Hopefully these restrictions are temporary, but it'll be a long slow path to helping convince the powers that be that some of these fisheries can be managed to be sustainable.

It's a totally different ballgame on the Canadian side of the line, but I'm not well educated on those rules.
•• If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~ Doug Larson ••

Thanks...yep, I'll be on the Canadian side and need to read up on the regs. I believe rockfish are open based on some advice a Canadian gave me...need to read up on it though.

Assuming they are open, what type of lures and rigs do you recommend?

Also, I'll be paddling quite a bit over the week with the family (they won't be fishing much) and plan to keep the FF on with a couple rods rigged (just in case). As far as salmon, what type of spoons/color would you recommend trolling this time of year? And assuming I run into a school of bait, what type of jigging lures should  have rigged up? Something like a buzz bomb or Point Wilson jig? Size and color?

Thanks...this salt stuff is pretty new. Any specifics would be great.

HBH

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
gulf island bottom fishing and salmon fishing is open EXCEPT there are specific conservation areas you cannot fish in

i use 3.5 cop car coyote spoon, or a pink buzz bomb or a silver pt wilson dart

i always coat my lures with smelly jelly to help out :)

could use an anchovey rig if you want to hassle with bait

I had a great trip out to Galiano last week - thanks for all the help. While my wife and parents didn't fish, we all kayaked quite a bit, so I had a fair amount of time to drop a line.

I caught dozens and dozens of rockfish (open across the border), but no keeper lings. I caught all of the rockfish off points or small islands, using jigs and various soft plastics. Tube jigs, twister tails, swimbaits...they weren't picky. I tried some deeper water with bigger baits, but no big lings. That's the first time I've targeted them. I could see how that'd be fun.

On a couple of the days that we toured around the islands, I pulled spoons at various depths. Several times I found large schools of bait on the FF, but never got a salmon to hit.

Regardless, great trip. Other than having to buy a Canadian license and deal with crossing the border, I wouldn't see any reason to hit the US San Juans over the Gulf Islands, unless you only had a couple nights to stay. Definitely far less people, at least on Galiano, and far more fishing opportunities.

Thanks again for the help.