Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:21:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:40:17 PM]

[Today at 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Tilly Bay 6/5-6/7 Advice.  (Read 1564 times)

LukeWarm

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Mar 2022
Booked a campsite at bay view campground the 6/5-6/7 in search of the illusive springers. Haven’t fished tilly bay for springers or any bottom fish. Heard memaloose boat ramp is where to launch and to troll back and forth around the trask. I’ll bring spinners and gear to run cut plug herring. Would love any advice for what catches fish in tilly bay and any spots that producel that you wouldn’t mind sharing. Kind of the same boat (no pun intended) for any bottom fish. Any bait that works best and any spots on the bay you can lead me to would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone wants to join in on the fun you know where to find me. Would love to meet and some fellow yak fishermen.

Thanks I’m advance.

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I don’t know how familiar you are with Tillamook Bay, but especially the area around Memaloose, the channel is pretty narrow and is hard to find.  I would go out on a lower tide and mark the channel with a series of waypoints.  Otherwise you will find yourself running into shallow water often.

Most people fish for bottom fish along the south jetty before it makes the corner to go to the mouth.  I’ve done best with smaller gear like a gulp minnow or bait of similar size.  If going for bottom fish, time the trip to head out to the jetty about an hour before low tide.  Fish through slack tide then ride the tide back in.  The current gets ripping where the bay narrows down half way out.  It is much safer to keep more towards the highway through there.  Good luck and be sure to report your success
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
Also, during the dates you are at Tillamook Bay, there are good minus tides if you like clamming.  The islands straight out from Garibaldi marina are good for cockle and gaper clams.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

bernie3674

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jun 2022
If you have are on a kayak you can use the bank behind the fish cleaning station to launch, I went with Mojo twice, you want to launch 2 hrs before low and come back before high, or else you will have difficulty make it over the narrow. We fished south jetty for bottom. Since I am a tourist I haven't got a chance to target salmon yet, maybe in a few weeks when I come up. For clams, there is a sandbar only visible during low tide, basically launch out from the bank behind the fish cleaning station and head straight, easy limit, but you have to do it fast.

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
The narrows are no joke, definitely time with the tides.    For bottom fish, think fresh water bass gear both for rod and what type of gear you are throwing. 

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Been out of sorts lately, afternoon winds can be a real issue so first light launches if ya can.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
when launching go a couple hours before max low (to get to maybe crab harbor or the sandbars? ?
?)and come back with the incoming ....right?
what r the narrows??
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 05:12:11 PM by dampainter »

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
when launching go a couple hours before max low (to get to maybe crab harbor or the sandbars? ?
?)and come back with the incoming ....right?
what r the narrows??
In the photo, the red circle is the narrows.  Tide gets squeezed down there and can really rip.  Staying toward the highway there is a better option.  The blue line is where most people kayak fish.  The yellow areas are common crabbing areas.  And yes, you are correct about the timing.

dampainter

• Salmon
thanks Nobaddays, perfect!

dampainter

• Salmon
Went to depoe bay and caught my second best ling at just over 20 lbs yesterday, fishing was unbelievably super slow (3 shorts and one released black)so came here to garibaldi to try some kayak clamming , wasn’t sure was coming here so left the crab pots but do have my clamming stuff….. have to try the sandbars for some clams….. I don’t suppose anyone wants to meet up and go with me??tide is at 1150 and a -1.1 will be taking off about 9 and coming back with the tide. Have a great day all!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 07:06:05 AM by dampainter »

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
I have some traps you can borrow if you want just post up soon.

Shannon

dampainter

• Salmon
Thanks for offering up pots mojo, come clamming with me? What channel do others use here on radio? Just16?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 09:48:29 AM by dampainter »

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
Dozed back out, had surgery on my shoulder Thursday not sure I can clam just yet

Shannon

dampainter

• Salmon
Lots of work but limited! Weather and all was about perfect, Chowder in process! Next time mojo hope the recovery is 100%!

anything