Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 02:48:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 20, 2024, 04:24:50 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 02:19:35 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 01:10:00 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 11:40:28 AM]

[May 20, 2024, 10:55:19 AM]

[May 20, 2024, 10:49:19 AM]

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Best SUV Kayak Cradles/Load Assists?  (Read 2818 times)

LawyerBob

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Hey all, I've upgraded from a Hyundai Elantra to a Subaru Forester and am having to rethink how I load my yaks (car-->suv). Figured I'd check for some opinions. I've got a 78lb rig I can dead left shoulder height easy enough. It's just the above shoulder part I'm not thrilled about. The Forester also has a rear spoiler and shark fin antenna, which I'll need to not obliterate, haha.

Any thoughts as to the Rhino Rack T-Loader (rear T-bar), Malone SeaWing/Stinger (rear plastic... protective strike plate thinger), Thule Outrigger 2 (side pull out bar), Yakima Boatloader (same, but for circle tube racks), or similar devices, or some good cradle options?  I know there's also some crazy expensive articulated, hydraulic options and large ramps, but those don't seem very practical or affordable.

A rear-loading cradle (possibly with a T-bar load assist) looks easy enough. But it seems to limit you to one rig, when I'm used to hauling two in J-cradles. Any suggestions, opinions, and/or advice would be appreciated!

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
The Hulllivator is fantastic but expensive. Since the Forester isn't very tall a side-assist slide out bar may work as long as your car is not parked at a tilt.

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

yakbass

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Went from two outbacksports to a forester last year and thought the same thing. Went and bought a hullevator never looking back. Wish I could have bought on years ago. As far as complicated they are simple and off the car unless you are using removed by one slide pin. The side loaders are what most people use that don't hullevator or trailer. I am a big fan of Thule and Yakima with both products on my car at the same time occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KBStudio

• Perch
  • kimbrunstudio
  • Date Registered: Apr 2013
I have a Hullavator for sale, $375.  It is a complete kit with instructions.  You only need a Thule rack although you might be able to modify it for a Yakima rack.

https://www.rei.com/product/886975/thule-hullavator-pro-kayak-carrier?s_kwcid=PS_Bing|401_3045270|Thule%20Hullavator|NB|c66d7b0b-9c37-46a7-ab6d-cdfec2363971|kwd-25553590864

The version I have has a different pad on the rails.  They have a ripstop nylon cover over them.  If you are interested, I can send pictures.

2017 Hobie Outback

LawyerBob

• Rockfish
Thanks for the replies! PM sent.

The hullavator looks convenient, but weighs something like 80lbs total? I'll have to check load ratings to see if I could haul it plus two yaks (the second in a simple j-frame) and decide just how bad I want to be able to load two at once. Super handy feature for one-way river trips and carpooling with a buddy (about 33% of my trips). Maybe consider two load-outs (solo vs +1) and get things that are easy to connect/disconnect and can be locked

Any thoughts on Yakima vs Thule vs Rhino oval/aero cross bars? My last set were rhino, which were functional. I'm a bit leery of Yakima's round bars--they seem to add a risk of load rotation. Anyone actually experience that?

DARice

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
I'm a fan of simple solutions. I load on top of a Toyota Sequoia; being fairly tall and long armed makes doable without an assist, but I have bashed my wrist hard more than a few times loading the boat. I've used the Yakima boat loader a few times, and it makes life a lot easier. However, due to the height of the racks it puts my Revo13 at a fairly steep angle--that wouldn't be an issue with your Forester, even with a shorter boat. The easiest loading solution is probably a trailer, but I don't have space to store one, and also want to have easy loading when I'm pulling my travel trailer.

Dave

p.s. If you don't jump on KBStudio's hullavator, I probably will; if so, I'll have a Yakima Boat Loader for sale ;-)

KBStudio

• Perch
  • kimbrunstudio
  • Date Registered: Apr 2013
The Hullavator only weighs 40 pounds.  It articulates down to about waist level and the racks expand wide enough to carry a 2013 Hobie Outback.
2017 Hobie Outback

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I know that Subaru can pull a yak trailer mine does

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

LawyerBob

• Rockfish
Haha, if only I had the room for a trailer! Sold and replaced my drift boat with a kayak due to needing to re-purpose its space.

I'm still chewing on a hullavator. But for now am going back to basics: crossbars. Whispbar has a 7 y/o video comparing their road noise to square, circle, and oval bars, and it's major. Things are crazy expensive though. Thule's new aerobars seem like the top alternative, but there's little/no info out there as to their noise.

May just snag some whispbars from rerack (best price so far), after I determine what mounts/racks can go on and whether to go with through bars or flush mounts.

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Rockfish
  • The Art and Science of Fishing
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
I have a Forrester and have Hullivators and Hully Rollers. For heavy yaks the rollers are easier. I only use my Hullivators on my light weight Eddyline.
Heroes on the Water Guide
O.K. Malibu 2XL
Hobie Adventure Island
Eddyline Caribbean 12
No Sponsors, Not Prostaff, Just Fishin

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I use the thule and Yakima load bars.  Both work awesome on my Honda Civic and My Toyota Tacoma. 

I bought a T-bar but I didn't like the way the T-bar had give and motion.  Seemed like it would really rub on the kayaks.  oh...so I have a cheap T-bar for a good price...lol.
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

surforegon

• Lingcod
  • cannonbeachartz.com
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
For the spoiler on my 4 runner. I got a piece of  1 1/2'' water pipe. Cut a 3/8'' slot in it. Took the heat gun and shaped it to fit over the spoiler.  fits tight and hold it on with a tie rap. Kayak slides over the top.
Prowler Big Game 2, Hobie Outback,  Eddyline ultralite 12'               2016 junk jigs: Never seen that before. Second place.
2016 junk jigs: Most likely to be used as evidence in court. second place.

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Out of all the bars and racks I have tried, I like the Thule Crossroad and Aeroblade set-up the most. I like that they will fit and interchangeable on most vehicles roof rails. Most other racks are vehicle specific. The Aeroblades are super quiet. I have them set up on our 2 SUV's now. One of them with A Hullavator, and the second one coming soon.

I suggest starting with a good rack (longer the better!) and strap your kayak directly to the bars. Do this for a while until you can afford a Hullavator to add to it.
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>