Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 04:47:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: 2012 Gardens  (Read 6400 times)

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
the slugs have done a number on them. 

Get a bowl bury it to the rim the fill it with junk beer friends bring over. you will be amazed how many slugs drown to their death in it.

I would do that, but I give all my junk beer to Jammer when we are fishing together.  ;D

bluewrx02

• Salmon
  • Facebook
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
2011 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2013 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place

2011 Hobie Outback     
2013 Hobie Revo 13     
2014 Hobie Adventure Island

bigdood

• Lingcod
  • poormansheli
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Our first round of sh... died when we had a nice little unexpected cold streak and we left 'em outside.  Our next round is, well, it'll be lucky to get where I'd like before the next frost. 

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You kept them inside too long.  When they grow long like that, they are trying to grow towards the light source because they think they are in the shade.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

topwater

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
been slacking big time.  the fruit are doing well except for the apple trees that the deer have ravaged.  our peas have been producing well, but they were planted last fall and made it through the winter just fine.  i've been planting more seeds lately but am way behind normal and just planted beans and squash with how chilly it has been along the strait.  hopefully they germinate okay with this lack of warm weather... if not i'll plant more when i see more sunshine in the forecast.

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Anybody growing hops?  Weather has been a bizarre variable.  The Chinook is 20 feet long, and the Willamette is a mere two feet.  If forced to choose, I'd rather have the Nook rock the cones, but the Willy is a damn fine brew addition.  Kale is looking superb and ready for the juicer, though.
Blog/Photo Dump

Editor, The Milkcrate, Kayak Angler Lifestyle.

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
It's late but 90% planted. Things are up.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You kept them inside too long.  When they grow long like that, they are trying to grow towards the light source because they think they are in the shade.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The light was not intense enough, they are reaching. My kale starts were doing that until I put a grow bulb down near them.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

NCWflounderer

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
2nd round of radish are coming up, onions are nearly done, really filling out now, potatoes are all flowering, and quite large.  Tomatoes at about 16" tall, with blossoms, and pepper plants are about 3" tall (for some reason my peppers always start slowly).  My cabbage are doing well, and pumpkin plant has about 6 leaves so far.  Sunflowers are about 2' tall.  Garlic is looking great too!

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
At the end of the month I am moving to my house.  The previous owner has a bunch of raised beds that I might as well put to good use.  Are there any veggies I can plant in early July? 
The easier the better, I have not gardened since I was a little kid collecting worms as my dad did everything else.

There are a few blueberry bushes on the property too.  Last time I was there they were full of plump green blueberries well on there way to maturing.   

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
 I grow everything in raised beds.  July is the perfect time to sow the seeds of your fall garden.  chard, Kale, beets, parsnips, lots of options. Pick up a book by Oregon Tilth (I will find the proper title) spells out what and when to plant for out NW climate.  Its a bit late and you'll run out of weather before peppers, tomatoes can ripen but it doesn't hurt to try.  I go to hoops with plastic over my raised beds to extend the season well into late fall.  I also built a large solar greenhouse and we had our last tomato at the end of January and our first at the end of March. Nothing like fresh salad in December!

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
At the end of the month I am moving to my house.  The previous owner has a bunch of raised beds that I might as well put to good use.  Are there any veggies I can plant in early July? 
The easier the better, I have not gardened since I was a little kid collecting worms as my dad did everything else.

There are a few blueberry bushes on the property too.  Last time I was there they were full of plump green blueberries well on there way to maturing.

Plant broccoli in September and then spinach about a month later. Just get them established and in late winter they take off and you get some great produce real early, way before you can by spring planting.

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Thanks for the info.  I have an old edition of the complete gardener and I think I may get this book. 

http://www.amazon.com/Growing-Vegetables-West-Cascades-Edition/dp/1570615349

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
This is the book I was referring to.  I guess it was Seattle tilth instead of Oregon.  It's a great resource to have in your garden reference collection.

http://seattletilth.org/images/books/mnggcover/view

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Thanks for the info.  I have an old edition of the complete gardener and I think I may get this book. 

http://www.amazon.com/Growing-Vegetables-West-Cascades-Edition/dp/1570615349

That's a good book, as is the Seattle Tilth.  Shoot, I get a lot out of just reading Territorial Seed's catalog ... http://www.territorialseed.com/

-Allen

anything