Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 12:38:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:31:23 AM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Smoked Salmon...it's what's for dinner!  (Read 3412 times)

Rory

• Sturgeon
  • Rory's Internets Audio Blog
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
I have been using my smoker as an alternative to planking on the grill , because I think the smoker is a better vessel for smoking food. Easier to control anyway. I've had very very good success with this recipe:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s236/sh/d4525a2f-72ee-406e-8bc3-7b9b02eb710e/59ccf044830044927f839e86fc4b4050

My girlfriend who normally doesn't eat fast, snapped hers up so quickly I couldn't believe it!  I took a couple pictures, looked up, and her salmon was gone.  Perhaps she hated it and slipped it to the dog while I was distracted :P

I gotta say, this is my new favorite way to prepare salmon.  You get the smoky exterior of smoked salmon, but the interior retains the natural rich salmony goodness.  Course using King helps, but I have been using coho as well and it's damn good.

You can tell I've been sick this week with all the NWKA posts I've been making!  If I can't be catchin fish, the next best thing is talkin bout it....or may be eating 'em ;)

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

• Date Registered: Aug 2012
That looks awesome! I've never tried the rapid temp increase at the end. That's a great idea.
To capture the fish is not all of the fishing. Yet there are circumstances which make this philosophy hard to accept.
–Zane Grey

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
That looks awesome. Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

NWnoob

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
This is similar to my "smoked" salmon... Granted I dont go that high while I'm cooking it, but this "quick smoke" is how I smoke my fish.  Coming to this coast and catching my own salmon is awesome and has had a lot of learning lessons, but now I need to learn how ya'll smoke your fish (preservation style)!!  I have always smoked it to eat then and not to preserve it..  Anyway, looks great and would definitely make me really jealous if i didn't have 2 fillets on a cedar plank in my grill right now!!
2nd place 2012 Salmon SlayRide
2nd place 2013 Salmon SlayRide
1st place 2014 Salmon SlayRide

Rory

• Sturgeon
  • Rory's Internets Audio Blog
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
I've tried alot of smoked salmon recipes but none have even come close to our own pelagic paddler's DEAD NUTZ!

http://groundswellkayakfishing.com/recipes/dead-nutz-smoked-salmon.htm
"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

revjcp

• Sturgeon
  • Don't judge me...
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
I will have to try a bunch of these.  I have been thrilled with what I have been using... oyster sauce with some brown sugar... add some water to thin it down... I just end up eyeballing it but I haven't bee disappointed yet.  The longer you let it sit marinade... the sweeter it gets.
Malibu Mini-X

Formers Rides...
OK Trident 13
Hobie Outback

dberd

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
" History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man"  BOC

Sinker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I somehow missed this originally. 

I did a bunch of salmon using Pelagic's Dead Nuts...  should I rephrase that ... nahhh 

Anyway.  I really like that recipe. 

I also tried one piece just coated with Kosher salt.  It tasted really good too, but it did not have as deep of a yummy saltiness.  I was not sure how long it would keep that way, so I ate it first. 

I will be trying that recipe you posted at the beginning next.  It sounds killer. 

I would much rather be up a creek without a paddle than down one.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I did this, as well.  Tasted delicious.  I loved it cold, as well. 

goldendog

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Sounds good Rory! I have a nice coho in the fridge. that I caught Monday. that I was going to cook tonight. I think I will try smoking it!
Fishing is much more than fish.  It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.  ~Herbert Hoover

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
I think I am going to have to try your recipe with some salmon and albacore this Friday. 

anything