Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 08:39:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:03:47 PM]

[Today at 06:04:24 PM]

by jed
[Today at 04:56:16 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 03:57:54 PM]

[Today at 09:43:36 AM]

[Today at 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Avet reel - I done did it...  (Read 3474 times)

3weight

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Mar 2021
I have used Avets extensively for tuna (I have 2, a buddy has 6 or 7).  Awesome reels!  For salmon, drag pressure over 8-10# isn't really needed... for our little Oregon albacore, you don't really need more more than 18# (though if you hook into a surprise bluefin some extra beef is nice).

The big benefit of these reels is the buttery drag and bomb proof construction, but they do tend to dry out/get sticky after a couple of seasons.  Allen Tani has a great video on servicing them (it's really easy) and keeping the drag in top shape.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Is there honestly any real need for a drag pressure over 8 lbs while fishing from a kayak?

Halibut.

Also, horsing a salmon in because you just found out a sealion is after it.

Also, pulling big lady lings up away from the rocks before they can dive into a hole.

Well, there's that.   :grommit:

When I was halibut fishing the strait, I got my hook caught on probably the only rock below me.  So, I decided that I wanted to test my rod butt gimble holder for rod twist during cranking, so I tightened down my ABU 7000 C3 drag (20lbs) to really get a purchase.  I was able to fully bend my Lami Cascade Pro meat stick to the point that my line was cutting into the foam just ahead of my reel. That was REALLY uncomfortable as it felt like I was pulling my kayak under at the same time.  The upside is that my gimble holder worked beautifully so I could focus my grip on cranking the reel and pulling up on the rod, and not trying to hold the rod from twisting at the same time. 

I don't think I will ever crank that drag down that far again for any fish from a kayak, way too uncertain where myself or the line will be if a huge fish gives a tug and can't slip the clutch in the process. 

But, I guess it's there if absolutely needed at some point? 
Would you say that this would be a good problem to have?
8)

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
I know it's been over a year for this thread, but I just had to report on how my first time out using my Avet SX went... Why? Why didn't you tell me? My God! Why didn't I do this 20 years ago?

I was using a rod I built about 30 years ago to fish the Kenai (rated 25 to 40 lbs), I ran into several big fish including that monster cabbie that tried to take line from me and the reel just said, "Ha ha ha ha ha! Nope..." Wow.

That's it! I think I'M hooked! #LifeChanging #NeverGoingBack

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

anything