Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:56:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Trailering Options?  (Read 2886 times)

• Date Registered: Jul 2019
I'm considering getting a trailer (had one before, but just ended up throwing the yak in the bed of the pickup) because I'm looking at getting an SUV so I can just sleep in it when traveling further from home.

Looking for ideas/suggestions on what *kind* of trailer I should consider. Obviously, I want it to be able to haul a kayak around. I want the wheels and axles rated for highway speed (prefer not being limited to 55 mph or less). It needs to fit in my garage with the kayak on it. And, (I think) the last requirement is that it have the option for putting on a RTT, while still having the kayak on (in case that ever becomes a thing for me).

I'm not looking to build my own from the ground up, but am okay with making *some* modifications. Do I go with something like a utility trailer (with low walls or some kind of exterior frame)? ...some kind of jet ski or kayak trailer with modifications to allow for the RTT? ...or something like the Yakima EasyRider, which is just a tubular frame, 75 mph max but comes with a huge price tag?

tjpeck

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2021
RTT = roof top tent?
Nice idea. Overall height would likely be less than the suv.

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I modded a jetski trailer to hold two kayaks and it works great. Float off, float on just like any boat at the ramp, or you could also put a cart under each and wheel them to the shore away from a ramp to launch.

I don't see any practical way to put the framing in for a RTT above, however. The boats themselves already fill the trailer from wheel well to wheel well and the frame underneath is blocked.

I suppose if you just made it for a single boat you would still have room the build up from the frame.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

RTT = roof top tent?
Nice idea. Overall height would likely be less than the suv.
Yes, RTT = Roof Top Tent
Yeah, I'm not looking to lift up on top of the vehicle.

I modded a jetski trailer to hold two kayaks and it works great. Float off, float on just like any boat at the ramp, or you could also put a cart under each and wheel them to the shore away from a ramp to launch.

I don't see any practical way to put the framing in for a RTT above, however. The boats themselves already fill the trailer from wheel well to wheel well and the frame underneath is blocked.

I suppose if you just made it for a single boat you would still have room the build up from the frame.

I would rarely need to haul a 2nd kayak, so single is fine. But, I'm thinking it would be kind of cool to have some tracks or something going across the width of the platform, front and back, so that I could center a single kayak on mounts or move to one side and add more mounts for a 2nd kayak.

Larry_MayII_HR

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Jason - There are many posts on this forum about kayak trailers...I'd suggest looking up past posts for ideas on what other's have done.

In the meantime, here is a photo of my trailer. It's made from the smallest trailer Harbor Freight offers, with built-up cross bars for two boats, or maybe three with the racks as shown. I had my 2016 outback and 2018 revo on it last week with both boats laid on the bars on their gunnels. The trailer is certainly light enough to move by hand and fit into any garage.

The 55 MPH limit disclaimer on HF trailers, in my mind, is primarily applicable at rated load. I never have more than 300 lbs worth of gear and boats on this trailer, so that's only 30% of rated load. I have had this thing going 70 MPH before for hours at a time and it's been fine. Bearings weren't even hot to the touch. Keep 'em greased though.

--Steve

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Look up INSAYN's trailer - it's here, somewhere, or just ask him about it (but don't tell him I sent you if you want an answer).  I suspect it's more than you want to dive into but it's a great example of what's possible.

There was a website dedicated to small trailers and how to modify them at very little cost, but darned if I can find it again.  Something to do with "tiny trailers".

And seriously, no one needs to haul a trailer at 70+ MPH.  The problem isn't the trailer, per se, it's the tires and the axles.  They aren't rated for that speed, so if you feel you just cannot live at 55, you'll probably need to replace tires, wheels, and possibly upgrade the axles...
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
The Yakima trailers dont have submergible bearings which is a big drawback in my opinion. If you are going through the hassle of having a trailer, being able to float on-off is a big benefit.  I believe the Malone trailers (all of them) have bearings that can be submerged and are a more affordable option than the yakima ones.  I think they have some kits to add the second level of bars. 

In my opinion, the yakima rack and roll is INCREDIBLY over priced for what you are getting @ ~$2700.  you could buy an ezloader torsion beam trailer for about $1000 and have plenty of money leftover to set it up.  You then have a much sturdier trailer and one that has better resale when you eventually will sell it.  The only downside is the boat trailer is a bit heavier.   The Yakima easy rider is definitely a better option especially if you have plans for a RTT on top of hte trailer, but like you said its incredibly pricy.   For the price of the Yakima you could buy a boat trailer, AND multiple sets of yakima bars plus adapt something like a truck bed rack to get your second level.  Bit more work but better product in the end. 

Appreciate the responses. I did eventually track down INSAYN's trailer build post.
I'm starting to get into analysis paralysis again so who knows what I'll end up doing....
I don't *need* to be able to back into the water to launch, but certainly don't want to exclude that as an option. Sealed bearings and aluminum/galvanized are must haves though.

Mellow Yellow

• Herring
  • 2011 Perception Pescador; 2017 Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
I love my Yakima Rack n Roll. I bought it lightly used and it came with every option-- tongue extender, HD shocks, spare tire. I was doing OK lugging the Outback onto my Volvo rooftop rack, but it was getting old and this wasn't going to work for my RV. I usually keep a ski box next to the kayak and it holds all my gear and more, except for my poles which ride in a storage bin or the passenger compartment. Get stuck backing up? Unhitch it and carry it by hand-- it's light enough. 75MPH on the highway is no problem towed by either car or RV and the MPG hit is 1 MPG. For storage, I can fold it up vertically, remove the tires and it has small rolling wheels that let me put it out of the way against a wall in my garage. In the summer months, I usually leave my kayak on the rack and walk it around to the backyard so as not to invite excess attention. When I get to my fishing spot, it's nice to have the kayak up in the air at a workable height to mount everything. Then to unload the kayak, I put the wheelies on, run a tent stake through the kayak rack hole so it won't fall out, and push the kayak from the front onto the wheelies. Really couldn't be easier. The overall convenience of this rack has increased my water time materially. It's just not the hassle it used to be, especially after a long day of yaking.

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
The hobie/trailer trailers are also actually pretty nice though a bit spendy.  Not sure if you could get the rtt on one though. I went from leaf spring to torsion for my tandem island and the torsion is sooooo much quieter.

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
i do what ur intending to do. i have a malone microsport trailer, that can haul two hobie revo`s with.  I put a piece of sheet metal between the wheels for a bed which i can use the trailer for hauling stuff too. also can put a soft cargo bag under kayaks to haul alot of stuff if need.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Have no idea what pulled me to look at NWKA this morning, but here I am.

As functional as my trailer is, it is 100% custom built and doesn't sound like what Jason is looking to do with his time.

Jason, as for putting a RTT over your kayak trailer, here are a few things to consider.

Traveling:
You will have a fairly compact package that checks a few boxes.

Once to your destination, what is your plan?

Are you camping near your launch so you can setup your RTT and not need to trailer your kayak to the water?

Will you be setting up and taking down your RTT each time you want to launch?

What is your budget?

A decent used trailer capable of supporting a RTT (before modification) could run $1000 - $2500.
Go any cheaper, and you'll spend as much or more making up for it's short comings.

RTTs are not cheap either.
Used will be $500 -$3000+.
New worth buying will be $1500-$4500+.

Storage:
How much space are you giving yourself for garage storage? 

My trailer is parked dead center in my garage as I have fabrication tools and general clutter around the perimeter.  It's in the way, but safely out of the elements and prying eyes.

Finally, you mentioned you are considering an SUV so you can sleep in, yet complicating things by adding a RTT?

Clearly if you go with an SUV, skip the RTT on the trailer to keep things simple and avoid most of the above mentioned pitfalls. 

Otherwise, I would suggest sticking with a pickup with roof rack, so you can transport your kayak between the campsite and the launch, all while keeping your camp set up. At that point, a basic utility trailer with a RTT would suffice.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

@INSAYN I’m basically thinking the SUV so I can sleep in it and a trailer to haul a kayak (and maybe a box like someone else mentioned above, to store gear). The idea of having the RTT is because my wife might be more interested in going with me if I’ve got a “nicer” setup. I’m not expecting to trailer the kayak to the water, seeing as how I currently put it on my scupper plug cart and roll it along by hand. If I *did* have a RTT on top (and I do already have a smaller one at this time), I might put it as far forward as possible so I *could* back the kayak into the water if I was at a place where that made sense.
Basically, you bring up some good points, but I’m not planning on trailering to the water’s edge. If using the RTT, I do *not* want to have to tear it down so I can launch.
As for budget, I already have a tent and am not against spending money to get what I want/need (<-very subtle difference between those two words). The Yakima EasyRider, despite being pricier than I would like, and not *really* being a good option as a utility (trash hauling) trailer, checks almost all the boxes for me.
Garage space is limited to about the length of my current pickup, probably a little less, so having a tongue that can be folded back would be a big help.

Since someone else mentioned Hobie trailers, I’ll take a quick look there as well. But, the ultimate goal is a trailer that 1) can hold my kayak while stored in the garage throughout the year, and 2) can hold a RTT if I should decide to keep one as an option.

Mzungu19

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
Jason - did you find a solution for a trailer? I made one for myself and am in the process of building another one for selling. The first pic is the one I now use, the other trailer will be smaller (4x9-ish). Both will be configured the same, with removable racks for the kayaks. I have also added expanded metal on all sides. If you’ve already solved your issue, then sorry for jumping into this conversation so late..
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 08:52:58 AM by Mzungu19 »

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I can fab up most of what you’re looking for, on the cheap as I you’re buying the materials!!!! You got my number! Let’s get you and TLW happy!!!

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

anything