Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:26:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Depoe and PC Aug. 11th and 12th...  (Read 2639 times)

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
I will be launching from Depoe Bay amidst the Albi hunters to go for bottom fish on Thursday and out of Pacific City on Friday for crab and bottom fish as well (with hali gear on board). Just a heads up. I will have my bright orange hat and be in my Hobie Revo, the MS. SALMA with my Hobie sidekicks (training wheels) in case anyone wants to say hello. I will be monitoring channel 69 as always and hope to see some of you out there either or both days.

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I wish I could! Damn work anyway! I am going to try to hit Fogarty creek on Saturday. Primarily to dodge the vast amount of power boats out of Depoe.
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
c u thursday fred!

Looking forward to seeing you out there! I will be out there after the brunt of the Albi hunters head out.

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

dampainter

• Salmon
will never forget the tips/generosity u showed me when we first met, if by chance i do not c u i hope ur gonna get something huge!!

dampainter

• Salmon
good luck to all this weekend out there where ever u go, be safe, tight lines!! 

I was happy to share what I learned and what was so effective for me. I will probably be fishing that way again when I head out there. It works, gets results and will give me some time to target salmon after I hopefully get my rockfish and lingcod quota. See you there!

Fred "True" Trujillo

Becart

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Apr 2018
I’ll see at pc Friday morning I’ll probably be launching around 6 or 7 depending on how aggressive I feel in the morning. I’ll be in a dune colored outback with tan and green dry suit.

Hope to see you out there!

Fred "True" Trujillo

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Did anyone make it out fishing today? How was it?
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

The fishing was good, but I bogued out today (Friday) because I had too many things go wonky this morning (fishing gear, kayak cart and marine radio issues, fish finder, bait, wind). It seemed like the fishing gods were trying to tell me something. I'd rather not arouse their ire. There were SEVERAL 'yaks that were making their way out when I arrived around 5:30 this morning.

Yesterday (Thursday) was AWESOME and I fought hard to bring in a full limit. Before I forget, there were few salmon reported caught among the boats I talked to. One guy in the Depoe Bay fish cleaning station did get his two salmon (about 12 lbs each), a couple of lings and a few rockfish. I got there around 5:30 and dampainter came by a few minutes later. He handed off a couple of jigs to thank me for some gear information I had given him a couple of years ago. I headed out a little before him to be greeted by whales all over the place and REALLY close to shore. Caught a large black rockfish right off the bat heading toward the bell buoy. Dampainter came out soon after and headed south after he said he was going to drop off a crab pot. We checked radios and checked and checked and eventually we got it right.

I went north towards Government Point and had limited success with smaller rockfish that I threw back. In all I had 3 HUGE takedowns and battled with what I am going to assume were 36"+ lings or very big cabbies using the first jig I was gifted. I wasn't showing a lot on my fishfinder but light, dispersed bait balls. I'd circle as long as I could, but nothing would stick. I decided to follow the birds and was rewarded with a 30" ling, and two more black rockfish. I started heading farther north to where I had seen some of the fishing charters and they promptly left before I got there. Was it something I said? Found some structure, dropped that lucky jig and BAM! I fought with what I thought was a huge lingcod that ended up being a 30" Cabezon!

The fog started rolling in so I started my way back toward the North Reef. It was a good thing I had my GPS until the fog lifted because I got turned around during my fight with that cabbie and thought north was south and south was north. I thought to myself, "Why are the waves crashing to the right of me?" Yep. May have gotten a little closer to shore than I was comfortable with. I caught one more rockfish and then switched to a standby jig that I have used with pretty good success to target lings and cabbies. Sure enough, after releasing a small cabezon and three underlings, I picked up my last ling and headed south. I could see dampainter out there moving back north and we talked a bit more. Told him I had caught two of my big fish on the jig he poured and he got a big smile on his face. He stood out a little more to try and get his last ling, but I headed in to start the process of putting all of my gear away.

In all, it was a darned good day. I wish I could be out there today, but again, I have a few loose ends to tie regarding gear, both necessary and unnecessary. By the way, the drysuit worked like a charm. I didn't dunk just because, but that relief zipper was definitely a relief! Can't wait to get out there again soon when the stars properly align. Thanks for reading and tight lines!

Fred "True" Trujillo

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Thanks for the report, Fred. Those two 12 pound salmon you saw at the cleaning station: were those Chinook or giant coho?
aMayesing Bros.

Wilyakfish

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jul 2021
What's you guys read on conditions for dB area. I was planning on tomorrow, Saturday, but wind seems to have changed. Now Sunday looks better, or even later in week.
????

They were definitely Chinook. Smaller but too big to be Coho.

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
What's you guys read on conditions for dB area. I was planning on tomorrow, Saturday, but wind seems to have changed. Now Sunday looks better, or even later in week.
????

I am going out of Fogarty Sat am.  Conditions are not perfect, but very fishable. The wind on MSW looks decent. Where are you seeing problematic wind? I am after salmon and if successful will stay out after lings/rockfish til I get bored or conditions deteriorate.

Would love to get a couple 12# salmon in the bag :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 04:08:30 PM by Beer_Run »
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

anything