Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:06:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Lower Columbia Advice  (Read 1587 times)

Bassassin208

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Apr 2019
Hello All, looking for some advice on the lower Columbia. Can anyone provide any insight on fall run timings? Is it best to fish the mouth or worth trying near Longview or Woodland this time of year? Just curious as to what general area may be best to focus my efforts. Any info is much appreciated. Tight lines

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I don't spend a lot of time on salmon but if you watch the threads on here and other messageboards and Facebook groups you should be able to get a sense of when things are heating up.

I saw in the Fisherman's Marine and Outdoor newsletter today that they are getting reports of fish at the mouth and a few being seen in the Woodland stretch right now. Of course, it's a little different every year.

Tight lines!

Guppy Tamer

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
I fished woodland yesterday. Lots of boats, but I didn't see a single fish landed. It won't be long though

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
... It won't be long though

That's what the monkey said after a lawnmower ran over its tail!

On a slightly more serious note, I hope you get into them!

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
I fished woodland yesterday. Lots of boats, but I didn't see a single fish landed. It won't be long though

Where did you launch? Last time I was there the gate to Austin Pt was locked and had to drop $10 for the ramp next door. If it is still locked I may be fishing out of Blurock landing.
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015

Where did you launch? Last time I was there the gate to Austin Pt was locked and had to drop $10 for the ramp next door. If it is still locked I may be fishing out of Blurock landing.

Following....

I was planning on launching from Austin Pt later this week...Would be a long drive to find it closed.....
There is no mention of closures on the PortOfWoodland website of FB page.

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
It is not a total disaster if it is closed. The boat ramp 100 yards before it is pretty decent but costs you $10. The whole area is super sketchy and always worried about losing a catalytic converter. Just from a parking standpoint and distance I like Blurock except for the short roll across the soft sand and that some A hole that thought you were donating a kayak to his useless self. Amazing. I used to feel pretty good parking there.

has anyone launched at Frenchman's bar? Looks like a short roll down the beach.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 07:18:12 PM by Beer_Run »
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I launched at Frenchman's once (but noticed the Blurock parking lot on my way there and started using that afterwards).

From what i recall: if you drive to the south end of the park ("Hewlett Point")  it is a fairly easy launch. Concrete and solid ground until the beach itself, which is quite narrow there. A little steep but not too steep. In hindsight, looking at Google Maps and zooming in: there is a concrete loop at the southern very end that brings you onto the beach - i did not notice that when i was there but it seems like this would make a launch even more easy.

Pros:
- it is a gated, busy park and i think more secure than Blurock (although i believe someone was shot and killed there a few months ago...so while you still have your converter you may find some bullet holes in your car...)
Cons:
- entrance fee (modest)
- main issue: you are still 1 mile away from the best fishing grounds. Not so much of an issue for you but for me (in Hobie) quite a workout if the tide is outgoing:-)
- the park only opens at 7 am (although i think you can enter earlier as well?)

Michole

• Rockfish
  • my blog
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I am the guy who recently had my locked Outback stolen off my trailer while parked on the road at Blurock. I have parked in that area for years without issue and plan to be back again soon but with much, much, more caution. I will say I have parked my trailer and spare kayak for years in some of the sketchiest ramps and launches around Portland without any issue, but I always feel uneasy and have seen more early morning craziness at Blurock than any launch I have ever used. However, it has great access to some productive fishing grounds (already have one fall king on the tag and lost one the day I had the kayak stolen). It's a bit of a haul to the beach, and beach wheels, a good heart, and youth are advantages in getting to the water and back to the parking area. The parking lot is free and opened at dawn, but if you get there before the gate is opened, there is parking next to the road and there is usually a car or two alongside the road, often an abandoned car in the lot, a drunk or two, someone looking through the trash for cans, and at least one abandoned, or nearly abandoned fire on the beach. I noticed that this year big logs were placed along the trail to discourage people from driving on the beach. Also, watch out for the dog shit because it's a pain to clean off the beach wheels, and there is no drinking water or toilet. Needless to say, the area has a lot of character and characters. But hey, that's urban fishing.
"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Gierach

Guppy Tamer

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011

I fished Austin point. There was no fee. Quite a few cars there. I could see my vehicle pretty much the whole time I was there. I just trolled back in fourth in the area.

builderbri

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2021
I don't have years of experience but I know I caught a nice chinook trolling last year on august 22 off Puget island where I like to fish. There is a dfw access spot that is a popular plunking spot for steelhead or springers but not so much for the fall run. I plan on fishing there sunday. low tide is about 6:00 am and will be coming in till about noon. hopefully I can find one this year. I'll be in a OT sportsman.

Bassassin208

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Apr 2019
Thanks for all the replies guys! A lot of helpful info here, much appreciated. I hit the b10 area on the Oregon side this past weekend and went 0/2. Had a big one snap my hook in half! Definitely a first for me. Saw lots of fish caught, more on Saturday than Sunday. Big tide swings. Anyway, seems like it’s really heating up down there. Hoping to get out a little closer to town anytime in the near future, plenty familiar with blurock and Austin pt. Give me a shout if anyone needs a fishing buddy this fall. I plan on getting out as much as possible