Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:30:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Terminal Gear Connection  (Read 1502 times)

BugBoy

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Dec 2009
I have a question about duo lock connectors. I know that they are handy for quickly changing lures and other gear. The question: are they suitable for line to line connection or should there be other hardware involved? I have used them mostly for connections on flashers, bead chains or a barrel swivel.  My concern is that the line could break if tied on the thin wire of the duo lock. 
I am concerned about creating a weak link in my gear that could be avoided!!

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Whether duo-lock or plain ol' snap swivels, they make a dandy terminal for your mainline, or at the bottom of a bumper. Then you have a leader with a hook or lure or whatever and at the top you tie a loop that goes into the snap.

Totally legit.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
That’s all I use, tie on no sweat.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
I lost a few big fish last year due to tying mono directly to duolock connectors. I'm pretty sure the wire on the duolocks was too thin, and the suddenness of the hits caused the wire to cut through the mono. Another thing going against me was that the failure point was on a breakaway flasher, so the mono went from zero tension to full tension extremely quickly.

Now I tie to welded rings, and connect those welded rings to the duolocks. Haven't lost any fish yet due to line failure, but also haven't been able to test the new setup on a breakaway flasher rig.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 05:55:54 PM by bogueYaker »

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I have a question about duo lock connectors. I know that they are handy for quickly changing lures and other gear. The question: are they suitable for line to line connection or should there be other hardware involved? I have used them mostly for connections on flashers, bead chains or a barrel swivel.  My concern is that the line could break if tied on the thin wire of the duo lock. 
I am concerned about creating a weak link in my gear that could be avoided!!
BugBoy, is your main line braided line or mono?

I use braided main line, usually 30 pound, and I tie a swivel snap or duolock snap at the end of the main line with a palomar knot.  And I tie a loop at the upper end of all my leaders, so I can quickly change from one rig to another.  I haven't had any problems with my main line or my leaders breaking at the snap.  The only time I get a line breakage is when I get my lure snagged and have to break off my line, and it doesn't necessarily break at the snap.

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Exactly, Pedro.

There's always gonna be a weak spot. Choose wisely.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
i have not had issues using duo locks.  I use duo locks a lot but typically have a 6 bead chain in between when trollng.  I dont think that the duo lock wire is much thinner then that of a 6 bead chain and i rarely lose fish due to gear issues.  I have snagged bottom and had it break but like others noted- its not at the du lock snap.

What weight line do you use?  For salmon i use 30-40lb flouro and it seems to hold fine.  For lings i use 50lb Walmart special haha.  Both of these are difficult to break off and very scrape resistant
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 01:28:52 PM by Zach.Dennis »
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
My only beef with Duo-Lock snaps is that sometimes the line can get caught up around the metal ends of the snap if you have a lot slack, which can happen when mooching or if a hooked fish runs right at you. I've largely ditched Duo-Locks in favor of Rosco EZ-Clips. No more sharp metal nubs to catch onto line, and they're strong as hell. Highly recommended!
aMayesing Bros.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Another vote here for "have had no problems with duolocks". Perhaps the knot or line type could affect things. In my case, the line is usually 20 or 50lb. flouro, and the knot is usually an improved clinch knot. When I get snagged it never breaks off at the duolock.

BugBoy

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Dec 2009
Thanks all for your replies!
I usually fish with braided mainline with a barrel swivel at the end. This makes it easier for me to change things out when needed and the duolocks are handy for that.
I was over thinking and need to get on the water to clear my head!!  Thanks again for you sage input!!

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
My only beef with Duo-Lock snaps is that sometimes the line can get caught up around the metal ends of the snap if you have a lot slack, which can happen when mooching or if a hooked fish runs right at you. I've largely ditched Duo-Locks in favor of Rosco EZ-Clips. No more sharp metal nubs to catch onto line, and they're strong as hell. Highly recommended!

A little late but I'm going to agree with Clayman's rigging.  EZ Snaps are what I used before I found fly-fishing and they both held up to large salmon in fast-moving water, and eliminated the aggravation of leaders getting tangled in the snap.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

anything