Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 01:30:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:10:00 PM]

[Today at 11:40:28 AM]

[Today at 10:55:19 AM]

[Today at 10:49:19 AM]

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Aloha!  (Read 7448 times)

• http://[img]http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/gallery/806_15_12_09_4_03_17.jpeg[/img]
  • Date Registered: Nov 2009
Hey what's up everybody, just wanted to say hi from the new digs on Oahu. Slowly getting settled into paradise here, three weeks in and just picked up my new yak. I got a sweet deal on a T-13, and took it out for the first time yesterday. Paddled out to a little island and hooked up with my first Hawaiian fish, a 18" barracuda, man they are one angry fish. Probably didn't weigh more than 2 pounds tops, but took line like a 5 lb. summer steelie.

Headed out tomorrow morning, and I'm going to try dragging around a Brad's cut plug bait that I brought with me. We'll see how that goes!
Hope all's well in the great northwest,
Jonah

sequim salty

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
Man... that seems like the dream life. I bet you didn't have a bit of trouble putting on your drysuit and neoprene gloves either! Enjoy the warm water and the slooooo lifestyle. Keep sending pics when you catch stuff...it makes our hearts beat. doug in rainy sequim

YakontheFly

• Clouser Meister
  • Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Aren't Barracuda a great fighting fish...  I have caught them all over the world too...

Have you hooked up with the local kayak anglers yet?  They will help you get on the good fish, even if you are a Haole!   ;D

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Nice, Can't wait to see more!

I too could move to Hawaii and live with my Bro, but unfortunately he lives on the Hilo side of the big island in Papaalau and it gets 200+ inches of rain a year(no thanks).
See ya on the water..
Roy

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Eating too much Cuda can give a guy a mean case of the runz.  Exercise caution.  I learned the hard way in Belize.
Blog/Photo Dump

Editor, The Milkcrate, Kayak Angler Lifestyle.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007

I too could move to Hawaii and live with my Bro, but unfortunately he lives on the Hilo side of the big island in Papaalau and it gets 200+ inches of rain a year(no thanks).

Says a guy who lives on the Oregon Coast.....   :laugh:

As I recall, the Hilo side puts you less than a mile's paddle from deep water and lots of big pelagics.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"

Says a guy who lives on the Oregon Coast.....   :laugh:

As I recall, the Hilo side puts you less than a mile's paddle from deep water and lots of big pelagics.

Yea, I know but i'll take my 100 over 200 anyday...

as it's been pouring rain here since last night!! seriously, it's June already!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 11:12:03 AM by coosbayyaker »
See ya on the water..
Roy

YakontheFly

• Clouser Meister
  • Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
The difference is that Hawaii gets inches per hour at a time, and Oregon gets what we lovingly called "Oregon Mist" where I lived in Nor-Cal....  Drizzle where 24 hours gets you two inches tops.

I would take 2 hours a day of 6" of rain versus 12 hours a day of Oregon Mist.

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
The difference is that Hawaii gets inches per hour at a time, and Oregon gets what we lovingly called "Oregon Mist" where I lived in Nor-Cal....  Drizzle where 24 hours gets you two inches tops.

I would take 2 hours a day of 6" of rain versus 12 hours a day of Oregon Mist.

Damn, you guys keep shooting down my rational excuse's for not wanting to move to an Island...
See ya on the water..
Roy

• http://[img]http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/gallery/806_15_12_09_4_03_17.jpeg[/img]
Took my 7 yo out for his birthday last week, and he brought in these to to'au (blacktail snapper) all by himself. Pretty good way to start your seventh year of life!

Here's a couple of recent catches,

A nice couple pound omilu papio

Around 15 lb. Kagami Ulua

And a nice 10 lb. O'io (bonefish)

The weather has been awesome lately, the trade winds have died down and I feel my first pelagic coming soon! Hope all is well back in the soggy northwest!

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
Good job JatW! nice looking fish. Looks like your learning the ropes over there.

Meet any other Kayak anglers yet?
See ya on the water..
Roy

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
Nice fish, beautiful conditions, ... think I wouldn't mind some warm rain for a change. Makes me wish I was there. Only a matter of time before we see some pelagic pics!

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Nice fish man!  I still owe you a beer too.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Beautiful fish!  Dang I miss that warm weather.

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st