Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:39:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Buoy10 Report  (Read 2862 times)

Bassassin208

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Apr 2019
Took a trip down to the Oregon side of the estuary with the tides finally looking a little more favorable. Didn’t quite catch slack low on Friday but a friend and I were fishing just as the flood tide was starting. My friend enticed one to eat a spinner tipped with a baby hootchie that ended up breaking him off before we could get a glimpse of it. No other takers the rest of the day despite countless gear changes and adjustments. Saw some PBs land a few but the bite did not seem red hot.

Fished solo on Saturday and had my line in the water right at slack low. Fished no more than 5 minutes before hooking up with a very nice acrobatic chinook in 35 FOW that took me for a ride. Somehow managed to net it (if you don’t set up your net, you’ll likely get a bite. I did this) and was ecstatic to see it was clipped. Gave it another couple hours in hopes for a coho with no success. Only saw 1 other fish landed during this time.

The fish ate a standard gold Mexican hat spinner under 16ozs with 35 feet on the counter. 18” bumper 20” leader 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 07:05:52 PM by Bassassin208 »

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
Nice report and sweet pics -- thanks for taking the time to post it up!

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Nice one Nate! Well done netting her. I've seen many heartbreakers when guys hook a fish, and their net is collapsed/not set up yet. So many ways to lose a salmon that you can't control, but ensuring the net is set up and ready to go as soon as you drop gear in the water is an easily preventable one.
aMayesing Bros.

Adrift

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2020
Are there any decent spots to launch from the WA side?

I want to try the estuary tomorrow, but with a 10-20 MPH north wind forecast, I would like to stay near the leeward shore. 

Bassassin208

• Herring
Nice report and sweet pics -- thanks for taking the time to post it up!

Thanks! I always appreciate reading others' reports, figured I would contribute.

Bassassin208

• Herring
Killer sunset!

Thats actually sunrise! Crazy colors

Bassassin208

• Herring
Nice one Nate! Well done netting her. I've seen many heartbreakers when guys hook a fish, and their net is collapsed/not set up yet. So many ways to lose a salmon that you can't control, but ensuring the net is set up and ready to go as soon as you drop gear in the water is an easily preventable one.

Thanks Chris! Definitely agree. Though with my dismal luck the day before, I thought maybe I could coerce at least a bite if my net was still collapsed and I would figure it out later ha. Somehow that worked out

Bassassin208

• Herring
Are there any decent spots to launch from the WA side?

I want to try the estuary tomorrow, but with a 10-20 MPH north wind forecast, I would like to stay near the leeward shore.

I have not personally fished from the WA side down there though I do know people kayak fish that area. I would assume they launch at the Cape Disappointment launch. That side is definitely more protected when the North winds kick up. Tight lines

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Not an expert, but launched at the circled spot. Hungry Harbor from Google Earth. Bit of a hike to the water at low tide. Picture is high tide and super easy. Big wide shoulder for parking. Did very well catching native fish there last year.  >:(

« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 02:01:19 PM by Beer_Run »
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
Took a trip down to the Oregon side of the estuary with the tides finally looking a little more favorable. Didn’t quite catch slack low on Friday but a friend and I were fishing just as the flood tide was starting. My friend enticed one to eat a spinner tipped with a baby hootchie that ended up breaking him off before we could get a glimpse of it. No other takers the rest of the day despite countless gear changes and adjustments. Saw some PBs land a few but the bite did not seem red hot.

Fished solo on Saturday and had my line in the water right at slack low. Fished no more than 5 minutes before hooking up with a very nice acrobatic chinook in 35 FOW that took me for a ride. Somehow managed to net it (if you don’t set up your net, you’ll likely get a bite. I did this) and was ecstatic to see it was clipped. Gave it another couple hours in hopes for a coho with no success. Only saw 1 other fish landed during this time.

The fish ate a standard gold Mexican hat spinner under 16ozs with 35 feet on the counter. 18” bumper 20” leader

I have not fished the Oregon side, only WA above the bridge. Have heard of folk launching at Social Security Beach and riding the tide in and out which sounds like a plan.  Looking out to Aug 26, there looks to be some soft incoming morning tides. Where did you launch and is it a beach wheel beach? How long of a haul to the water? I have two kayaks, one significantly heavier than the other so having not seen it any help would be great. On Google Earth I see a beach near Seafarer's Park that looks like there is a kayak on it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 02:38:08 PM by Beer_Run »
- Bob

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Bob, when you fished HH did you use your AP120 or your Hobie?
What kind of drop is there from the road to the sand?
I'm looking at those tides starting the 24th.
Thanks,
Patrick

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
I had the Autopilot and the tide was WAY out at launch. Not perfect but easier than Fogarty. Very shallow drop from the road to 150 yards out. Coming back in at probably close to high tide, I was 50' from my truck. Small steep part right below where I was parked but totally doable. If I go there, I will take the AP for sure. So much nicer and easier to keep fishing 100% of the time.  Launch, land and one of 5 I had to let go
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 06:03:41 PM by Beer_Run »
- Bob

Bassassin208

• Herring

I have not fished the Oregon side, only WA above the bridge. Have heard of folk launching at Social Security Beach and riding the tide in and out which sounds like a plan.  Looking out to Aug 26, there looks to be some soft incoming morning tides. Where did you launch and is it a beach wheel beach? How long of a haul to the water? I have two kayaks, one significantly heavier than the other so having not seen it any help would be great. On Google Earth I see a beach near Seafarer's Park that looks like there is a kayak on it.

Social Security beach is where I launched. Very easy launch. You can drive right up to the water if you have a sand-capable vehicle. Even if you don’t the wheel down to the water is pretty easy. Seafarers park also has a launch (the Hammond launch) that’s packed with powerboats, I wouldn’t recommend launching there. You can camp there though and that’s what I did. Hope this helps!

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
That is excellent. Sounds like launching at Austin Pt. I have an F150 and do PC a ton.
Is it one of these spots? I have never been there. Obviously that ramp by the park must be a zoo this time of year

« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 01:45:04 PM by Beer_Run »
- Bob