Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 02:02:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:46:59 PM]

[Today at 09:19:09 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 07:01:25 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 04:21:47 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: 4-19 through the 22nd trip planning  (Read 7373 times)

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Alright might as well plan the next trip! I really want to make it down to K-bay. I might even head down thursday and stay through saturday. Can anyone else make these dates? I'll probably stay in anchor point at the inn, its the cheapest by far.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I'm in for sat and Sunday. Not sure where the fish are. Depending on conditions I think the Most dependable location would be deep creek to anchor point. In kachemak bay, they could be anywhere. Might get lucky by the buoy. 

I'm really surprised I didn't get a solid take down from pcod or an Irish lord even when I drifted bait.  Sounds like some bait fish are present north of the one fish line. You always have a chance for kings but this week I might go fifty fifty for halibut and kings.

Not sure whiskey gulch will be accessible at least for me. If we launch at Anchor point, I think it's a mid morning launch and head north to get out of the conservation zone. I'd peddle a mile out, drift/slow troll north for halibut and then move back in for kings.

Deep creek will be tough unless we can drive three or four miles south due to tides. Even then we'll peddling against current to stay out of the conservation zone.

Whiskey gulch is the best spot because it's ok to go either way and you are outside the conservation zone.

Too early to predict wind direction.  I'll give it more thought but I'm in!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
Nice to know your in for this one Kardinal! Who else? Kenai Guy?

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
  • It's not as fun if it's easy
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I'm always game.  After my no fish days in Homer and Kenai this weekend, I need some blood and slime in my boat.  Let me know when and where and I'm there (sat and sun).

I'd like to catch some butts, but anything will do.  Points is points and I have empty freezer space.
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC
4th place 2014 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic
1st fish ever entered & Day 1 Champion 2013 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
Oops.... I forgot, I'm only available Saturday.  Gotta catch a flight Sunday afternoon for work.
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
That's Okay I'm not sure how long I'll stay Sunday anyway. Got to make it back for work. Also I got called for jury. Not sure if I'll get selected. Probably know by Wednesday. I want to be there all day Friday and Saturday

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
I think Saturday is the most I could manage this week, but I won't know specifics until Thursday earliest. Meanwhile, I have a question -- apologies in advance for sheer idiocy of it, but I'm new to this world of bait...  How long will brined herring hold up? If I'm not going to use all the bait from trip, can I just store in the the fridge until the next one or does it just turn to mush? And if I try to re-freeze it, could I brine it again upon thawing to firm it up?  I hate to waste...

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
They say brined herring will last for weeks refrigerated. That herring I had with us on saturday was brined, then frozen. It lasted all day we were out there and still seemed plenty firm when I took it off the hook when we came in. I just put the ones I didn't use back in the freezer. I guess Ill find out if they can be froze, thawed and refroze again. Im betting they will be fine.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 06:23:55 PM by rimfirematt »

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
You don't even need to freeze them for a few weeks. Having said that, if I have good bait, I try to use fresh bait all the time. For silvers anything works. Probably the same for kings but when you fish multiple days for one strike, I try to put everything to my advantage. Now halibut is a different story. They eat dead spawned out salmon flushed from streams. But still matching the hatch is the way to go.

I often quickly fillet any cod I catch and send it back down for halibut.

I have no idea if it helps but I also lather a significant amount of herring gel (not oil) on flashers, sinkers, and downrigger balls. 

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Ok, where we headed?  I'd say Whiskey Gulch but don't know how the road access is. Deep creek is a first light start if we catch the out going tide to head south.  I don't have anything to take down the beach yet and ideally we'd head as south as possible. I think wind will be from the north which helps. 

Anchor Point could be a later start like 10 am ish but plan on hiking down the beach a half mile or more and we need to be north two miles before we fish kings. Be a long day.

Kachemak bay is always doable but don't have the confidence in finding bait.

Need intel on the whiskey gulch access road. Was snowed in two weeks ago but it could have easily cleared by now.

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
I'll rely on your judgement with the location. I know pretty much nothing about the area. I got a 4 wheel drive truck too to help us on the beach or access whiskey gulch.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
I'll rely on your judgement with the location. I know pretty much nothing about the area. I got a 4 wheel drive truck too to help us on the beach or access whiskey gulch.

If you are headed down Friday to anchor point, take a quick look down whiskey gulch access road. It's super steep so don't start down it with ANY snow cover unless you are 100% sure.

Do you have any experience driving on the beaches here?  One quick rule of thumb is look at the cliffs, if it's wet, it can mean there is water running off the cliffs tht can make the Sand soft. At high tide there are spots that the water is less than say 50 ft from he cliffs a high tide  Do NOT get stuck below high water mark...duh!

Homer is safe. We always have a shot as long as the bait is in the water. I have more confidence in cook inlt only because the bait should be more restricted to kayak distance of shore.   

I'll keep trying o get a hold of my contact in Anchor point to se about whiskey gulch access.

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
I've got a landcruiser , Tacoma, and 4 wheeler with tracks.  We will get there! Wherever that may be.  Pick a spot and we can decide how to access it.

9th place 2014 ORC

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
I've got a landcruiser , Tacoma, and 4 wheeler with tracks.  We will get there! Wherever that may be.  Pick a spot and we can decide how to access it.

Wow. This man is prepared. I like....no, I love it. Let me gather some intel.

I've never fished it this way but if we can muster a super early first light start, I think heading south from Anchor point has appeal.  Not much time on current south, but peddle 45 deg sw, till we hit two miles and get out of the conservation zone and a mile to fish butts.  If we can get say 4 to 6 miles south, by peddling, current, and wind from the north, I think we can get there. Then we can fish kings outside two miles and also have a good shot at butts in the kelp area.

Still the safe launch other than Homer is Whiskey gulch.  Nothing to base it on but I think fish are further south of Anchor Point right now. So is it venture into the unknown and work twice as hard to try what I only guess as a better spot.  Or just use Kenai guys equipment to insure a launch out of Whiskey gulch.

My current vote is for Whiskey gulch. Offers the greatest flexibility and still a decent shot at small halibut and feeder kings.

Chime in folks!

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
It might take a couple of trips with the 4 wheeler, but we can do it.

9th place 2014 ORC