Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 12:46:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 08:40:31 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: No-More-Tangles "line wrapping around rod / guides"  (Read 4514 times)

CraigVM62

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
So far I have only been out kayak fishing on a nearby lake, but I have found that I was often having issues with line wraps around the rod tip / guides.   I am guessing it was my constantly setting the rod down across my lap or that I am just "rod handling challenged"    I rarely have this issue from conventional boats or bank fishing though.   
 Then I remembered the Interline rods that some may remember Daiwa was pushing several years ago. 
They have no guides since the line runs down the center of the blank.    It may have been a flash in the pan gimmick, but they fished me in and I purchased a good number of them back then.    They have always worked well for me and as they promote, you seldom have issues with line wrapping around the guides since there are none there.     

I took one out with me today and the guide wrap problem was resolved.   The lack of guides is also one less thing your net can get snagged on.     Other than their surf rods I don't think they are still producing any rods of that unusual design. 
I see a few still being sold by some online sources.  Cabelas was also selling a rod of the same design under their own branding.    The only downfall I see is if the line end should get pulled back down to the reel.  You need to use a little cable threader to pull the line back through the rod.   Might not be so easy while out on the Kayak.   
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 10:42:35 PM by CraigVM62 »
I used to think that Bigfoot might exist. Then I saw the reality shows where they are looking for them.  Now I am certain they don't

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Are you getting your line wrapped around the end guide on a conventional rod or one of the middle guides?  I do occasionally get the line wrapped around the end, particularly when jigging with braid in a breeze.  A quick flick and all is well again.
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Origianlly those were designed for SABIKI rigs, but if it works for you in the current capacity, go for it. Don't see much difference between that and the "Acid Wrapped" rods that spiral the guides around the rod blank. They catch fish too.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
spiral wrap is great for dowrigger trolling---otherwise, not so good.
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
spiral wrap is great for dowrigger trolling---otherwise, not so good.

Hey KT! I like the acid wrap!
I respect your opinion so I'm really curious about what problems you've had with it. ???

That interline looked like an interesting concept, but I never bit (seems they were pretty proud of them $$$). A couple of concerns I imagined (in addition to needing a threading tool) were the little stripping guides and weakening the butt of the rod with a hole in a pretty stressed area.

Seems that little guide would wreck your cast. Guess it really wouldn't matter with a conventional reel, but it sucks for a spinner (the Southern standard).

Seems the line sliding along the inside of the rod would create a lot of friction too, but I seem to remember some voodoo physics about following the spine made for less friction. :dontknow:

Losing all the rest of the guides would be VERY nice though.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 05:19:22 PM by Fishesfromtupperware »
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

CraigVM62

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I would say that the only real world advantage I have found is the lack of line wrap and easy stowing by having no guides.  This is why I think they will serve me well on the Kayaks'
  I have 6 of them ranging from a 12' Saltiga Surf down to the broom stick model I have used for oversize sturgeon and Halibut.    I have never found any weakness in the design when casting 12 oz. of lead plus bait or pulling in some good sized sturgeon.

I often take a couple of the 8' 6"  models when combat fishing on the local river banks.   They  cast pretty much on par with similar action /  length guided rods I have.  I have never tried a spinning reel but see them often with the surf casters down south.  I must admit that I find their most endearing quality to be the looks and questions I get when people notice "something is missing on that rod of yours"   
I used to think that Bigfoot might exist. Then I saw the reality shows where they are looking for them.  Now I am certain they don't