Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:53:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 26, 2024, 08:38:44 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Drones?  (Read 2626 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Does anyone operate a drone - a small one that doesn't need registration under Part 107?

I'd like to learn more about them (other than from YouTube videos by people I'll never know) because Woo-Woo you haven't made a fishing video if you don't have aerial footage!   :spittake:

(That last part was B-S.  The kid wants one for Christmas.)
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Doug

• Krill
  • Date Registered: May 2017
I bought a DJI Mini 3 Pro a few months ago.  It's my first and have not used it fishing yet, but intend to.  Pretty fun to see things from above where you are.  As for a gift, with extra batteries that you'll need for it to be worthwhile, as well as a two year warranty, I spent at least $1200.  There is a lower model if you don't want to spend that much, but I don't recommend it due to it not having obstacle avoidance sensors.  This one came highly recommended, and I'm pretty happy with it.  Lots to learn, and it can be set to follow you hands free.  As long as I don't use it commercially, it does not have to be registered.

jp52

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
I bought my son a DJI Mavic Mini a few years ago and it is very impressive so I imagine the newest version is even better. It has crazy long range and is GPS equipped so it returns to where it took off if the connection fails, though it never has. The images are very sharp and steady. They also have good service. My son broke one of the rotors doing something stupid and it was reasonable to send it in for repair.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Thank you both.  It helps to be able to identify a reliable manufacturer, and I appreciate it.

BigFishy

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2020
I've built 18 racing drones and owned 3 DJI in the past so have some experience with them. Definitely go with DJI. It's impressive how many features they packed in such a small package. Costco has deals on them.
2021 Hobie Outback

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I've built 18 racing drones and owned 3 DJI in the past so have some experience with them. Definitely go with DJI. It's impressive how many features they packed in such a small package. Costco has deals on them.

Thank you.  I checked Costco but now that she's studied them, I'm afraid I'm not going to get away with anything less than the Mini 4 Pro.  I guess the all-around crash avoidance system will pay off sooner or later.

SIGH

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
I am twitching to purchase the DJI Air 3 Fly More Combo.  The omnidirectional obstacle sensing (for clutsy people like me), the follow me feature, and the video screen built into the controller has pushed me in this direction.  It is a wishful thinking retirement toy.   
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
I am glad you brought up this topic Tinker.  I did a bit of research and drone weight comes into to play where drones weighing more than 250g (.55 lbs) must be registered or the pilot must procure a drone license in multiple locals (including Canada).  I can see why drone manufacturers have their "mini" category.  Kinda changing my mind about the DJI Air 3 (720 g) and going with the  DJI Mini 4 Pro (249 g) just so I don't have to get licensed/registered in multiple localities when traveling.....  Much cheaper too.   
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Getting a part 107 license isn't that onerous.  Spend the ~$400 and take the course and get the license.

Have your drone outfit with an ADS-B transponder and understand airspace.  Use B4UFLY.

Operate your UAS responsibly.  Don't be those dickheads rock climbing at the Sandy River that were filming themselves with a drone in the traffic pattern at pattern altitude at KTTD.  Yes, I was pissed. 

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Am I misunderstanding the FAA rules?  I thought that drone registration (drones weighing >250gm) and licensing were entirely different, and a person only needed a Part 107 license if they flew the contraptions for commercial purposes.  Otherwise, I thought they only needed to register the drone with the FAA.

The FAA allows locales to add a limited number and type of flight restrictions, but otherwise, the rules are pretty standardized across the country, and it didn't seem too confusing to me - but I'm not the least bit interested in flying a drone - I fear that if I was, Doug might murder me just to send a message to the asshats in the drone community about staying out of his way.

I got that far along in understanding drones because hang me if I was going to give a gift that expensive if she couldn't find a place to fly it.  I know other countries have different flight rules, but I hope she isn't planning on invading Canada by drone.

Doug, do you need a Canadian license to fly into Canada, or is there a reciprocity agreement for private pilots similar to the agreements about driver's licenses?

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
I looked into Canada rules since I plan on staying on Vancouver Island a couple of months this summer.  No regististration or "license" required under 250g.  Anything 250+ individuals need a Canadian registration and licence (no resciprocity).  So the MiniPro 4 your daughter has her eyes on falls under the threshold.  I ordered the DJI Mini 4 Pro Fly More Combo with DJI RC 2 yesterday which includes three batteries and the screen on the controller.  Merry Christmas to me.........
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

crash

• Salmon
Am I misunderstanding the FAA rules?  I thought that drone registration (drones weighing >250gm) and licensing were entirely different, and a person only needed a Part 107 license if they flew the contraptions for commercial purposes.  Otherwise, I thought they only needed to register the drone with the FAA.

The FAA allows locales to add a limited number and type of flight restrictions, but otherwise, the rules are pretty standardized across the country, and it didn't seem too confusing to me - but I'm not the least bit interested in flying a drone - I fear that if I was, Doug might murder me just to send a message to the asshats in the drone community about staying out of his way.

I got that far along in understanding drones because hang me if I was going to give a gift that expensive if she couldn't find a place to fly it.  I know other countries have different flight rules, but I hope she isn't planning on invading Canada by drone.

Doug, do you need a Canadian license to fly into Canada, or is there a reciprocity agreement for private pilots similar to the agreements about driver's licenses?

Part 107 has undergone changes recently in an effort to catch up with how people use and want to use drones.  I don’t have a part 107 license, but it’s my understanding that drones must be operated according to the airspace rules where they are operated, and that operators must be licensed even for the sub 250g class if there is a commercial purpose, operation over crowds, or in order to get permission to operate in controlled airspace.  Additionally, operators must be identifiable and the drones must use transponders.  I last looked into this a little over a year ago, so it might have changed or the implementation schedule might have changed.  We had a user conflict with drone operation over high school football games, drones loitering over crowds and over city streets, and operating in class E airspace near an airport.  Some people wanted to ban them outright, others wanted there to be no rules at all Part 107 be damned, and I preferred a middle approach of licensing, transponder use, and FAA approval for operation in controlled airspace.  I lost and the ban people won.

As far as part 91 general aviation into Canada, the only thing we need is a radio operators license and to follow Canadian aviation rules, which are not too dissimilar from US rules, the major difference being nighttime instrument ratings and IFR flight plan requirements with the canucks being more stringent.  Canada also allows air Uber type operations where the US would never allow part 91 operations to carry passengers as an air taxi for profit.

And I only want to murder drone operators that are clueless enough to operate a drone in a traffic pattern of a busy towered airport.  The only towered airport near you is in coos bay and that isn’t all that busy except for the coast guard traffic, and they’d probably just jam you or shoot you down anyway.

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
Nice to hear from someone with experience.  Commercial use of drones requiring licesensing no matter what the "weight" of a drone is consistent with my research which wouldn't apply to most of us.  Different locals have different rules it is key to look up the rules/regulations where ever you are at (kinda like understanding the fishing regulations, seasons, zones, etc.).  What you don't know can hurt you.....   Never a bad thing to understand protocols and being respectful in any endeavor. 
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

crash

• Salmon
Nice to hear from someone with experience.  Commercial use of drones requiring licesensing no matter what the "weight" of a drone is consistent with my research which wouldn't apply to most of us.  Different locals have different rules it is key to look up the rules/regulations where ever you are at (kinda like understanding the fishing regulations, seasons, zones, etc.).  What you don't know can hurt you.....   Never a bad thing to understand protocols and being respectful in any endeavor.

https://b4ufly.aloft.ai/

This is B4UFLY.  Use it.  Always use it.  This is the desktop version.  The app works too.

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
Thanks!  Downloaded the B4UFLY and ALOFT apps on my phone (I live within restricted airspace) plus took the Recreational UAS Safety Test through Drone Trust to get my certificate.  Lots to learn.......  Kind of a pain having to get LAANC permission to fly on my own property (relatively small town with an airport).  Can't wait to start learning to fly.
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

anything