Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 11:56:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Revo13 or OK trident ultra 4.3?  (Read 3187 times)

AndyFishes

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Oct 2016
Looking at a couple of used kayaks for my first. I've found an OK ultra 4.3 and a Hobie revo 13. They both appear to be in nice condition but the OK comes with more stuff. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on which would be the better kayak for a newb. I'm planning to use this primarily for fishing/crabbbing in the Port Townsend, Marrowstone, upper Hood Canal areas.

Here's what comes with each:

Revo 13:
Turbo fins
Sail rudder
stock paddle
HD scupper cart

OK Ultra 4.3:
Made to fit Cooler box
Paddle upgrade (bending branches?)
Fairly simple Humminbird fishfinder (565 I think?)
rudder
decent cart (strap type)

Same price for each of them.

I'm leaning towards the Hobie since it seems to me the no-paddle aspect could be really useful while fishing. I'm wondering though if it's just a matter getting something, sticking with it and becoming proficient with what you have?

Anyway, thanks for any advice...Are any of you the people who have these listed for sale? ;)

jsmccormick

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
If you want to troll go hobie. Hobie all day for me.
2016 2nd Place Brownlee Crappie Shootout
2015 7th Place Boniville Bass Bonanza

2015 Hobie Revolution 13
2015 Hobie Oasis

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Get them both!    ;D.
Since they're the same price, I'd lean towards the hobie.
I prefer "hands free" kayak fishing. There are only a few times I wish I had a paddle kayak - a pedal kayak is heavier for loading and there's more "stuff" to pack with the mirage drive and seat every trip.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I own a 13' Trident and a 13' Revolution.  These are both excellent kayaks.  I fished and spearfished from my Trident for several years, and liked it very much.  But as soon as I bought my Revolution, I quit using my Trident for rod fishing.  I use my Revolution when fishing in lakes and the ocean, and I spend many long days trolling, downrigger trolling, and moving from place to place while fishing in my Revolution.  I only use my Trident when fishing in shallow rivers where there is a risk of bashing a mirage drive into the bottom, and for spearfishing, because I find it easier to stash my spearfishing gear on the Trident than on the Revolution.

The advantages of the Revolution, and any other pedal drive kayak, are (a) you have both hands free to fish, put on suntan lotion, eat lunch, or whatever, while you pedal around in your kayak, (b) because you use the big muscles in your legs to propel a pedal kayak, it is less effort to cover distances in a pedal kayak, (c) you may be able to go faster in a pedal kayak than you can in a paddle kayak, and you can certainly go fast with less effort in a pedal kayak, (d) you can maneuver your kayak while playing a fish much more easily in a pedal kayak, and (e) when jigging, in a pedal kayak you can point your kayak into the wind and pedal slowly to hold yourself stationary over the bottom, while fishing with both hands.

Whether a pedal kayak or a paddle kayak makes more sense for you depends on where and how you intend to fish.  If you expect to spend a lot of time fishing in shallow rivers, it might make more sense for you to get the Trident.  But for the kind of fishing you described, I suspect that you would be much happier in a Revolution.  If you want to fish a shallow river in a Revolution, you can always pull up the drive and put the plug in the drive hole.

I love my Revolution, and do almost all of my fishing from it.  My Trident sits in my garage most of the time.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 04:33:21 PM by pmmpete »

Skidplate

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
Get them both!    ;D.
Since they're the same price, I'd lean towards the hobie.
I prefer "hands free" kayak fishing. There are only a few times I wish I had a paddle kayak - a pedal kayak is heavier for loading and there's more "stuff" to pack with the mirage drive and seat every trip.

Barb is spot on! Yes, you'll wish you'd gotten them both!
The 4.3 is a great boat and paddles great in my opinion (more maneuverable than the T13 due to the rocker), but funny enough mine was a fair amount heavier than my Revo (83# vs 70#). If I could only get one, I would probably go with the Revo since it paddles pretty well if you wanted to. Plus the extra 7" on the Ultra made it difficult to store. But it sure is nice to keep the "stuff" to a minimum, and I enjoy paddling. Get them both and then sell the one you don't like in the spring...or keep them.

-FWIW, I have a kayak problem and I want one of all of them...
My wife thinks fishing is merely guys wandering around like idiots swinging sticks in the air. Many of my trips prove how smart she really is.

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Looking at a couple of used kayaks for my first. I've found an OK ultra 4.3 and a Hobie revo 13. They both appear to be in nice condition but the OK comes with more stuff. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on which would be the better kayak for a newb. I'm planning to use this primarily for fishing/crabbbing in the Port Townsend, Marrowstone, upper Hood Canal areas.

Here's what comes with each:

Revo 13:
Turbo fins
Sail rudder
stock paddle
HD scupper cart

OK Ultra 4.3:
Made to fit Cooler box
Paddle upgrade (bending branches?)
Fairly simple Humminbird fishfinder (565 I think?)
rudder
decent cart (strap type)

Same price for each of them.

I'm leaning towards the Hobie since it seems to me the no-paddle aspect could be really useful while fishing. I'm wondering though if it's just a matter getting something, sticking with it and becoming proficient with what you have?

Anyway, thanks for any advice...Are any of you the people who have these listed for sale? ;)

My2c.
I have an outback and a malibu stealth 12. I use the outback all the time unless I want some upper body exercise, Its nice to paddle but nicer to pedal. Esp when trolling. Revo #1 for me.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
I own a 13' Trident and a 13' Revolution.  These are both excellent kayaks.  I fished and spearfished from my Trident for several years, and liked it very much.  But as soon as I bought my Revolution, I quit using my Trident for rod fishing.  I use my Revolution when fishing in lakes and the ocean, and I spend many long days trolling, downrigger trolling, and moving from place to place while fishing in my Revolution.  I only use my Trident when fishing in shallow rivers where there is a risk of bashing a mirage drive into the bottom, and for spearfishing, because I find it easier to stash my spearfishing gear on the Trident than on the Revolution.

The advantages of the Revolution, and any other pedal drive kayak, are (a) you have both hands free to fish, put on suntan lotion, eat lunch, or whatever, while you pedal around in your kayak, (b) because you use the big muscles in your legs to propel a pedal kayak, it is less effort to cover distances in a pedal kayak, (c) you may be able to go faster in a pedal kayak than you can in a paddle kayak, and you can certainly go fast with less effort in a pedal kayak, (d) you can maneuver your kayak while playing a fish much more easily in a pedal kayak, and (e) when jigging, in a pedal kayak you can point your kayak into the wind and pedal slowly to hold yourself stationary over the bottom, while fishing with both hands.

Whether a pedal kayak or a paddle kayak makes more sense for you depends on where and how you intend to fish.  If you expect to spend a lot of time fishing in shallow rivers, it might make more sense for you to get the Trident.  But for the kind of fishing you described, I suspect that you would be much happier in a Revolution.  If you want to fish a shallow river in a Revolution, you can always pull up the drive and put the plug in the drive hole.

I love my Revolution, and do almost all of my fishing from it.  My Trident sits in my garage most of the time.

+1. Also the side kicks and sail option add a whole new dimension to your kayaking.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

AndyFishes

• Rockfish
Thanks for all of the replies. You've pretty much confirmed my opinions. Though, that behind the seat cooler box looks like it'd be way cool. I won't be buying both. in fact, I'll be lucky if I can swing the revo 13 right now.

If any of you are interested in the OK trident--here's the link:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/5846066913.html

Thanks again.

AndyFishes

• Rockfish
Picked up the Revo 13 a few days ago and found this drysuit: https://www.geartrade.com/item/491901/hydrus-3l-supernova-angler-paddling-suit-mens-tangerine-l-fa

I ordered the suit this morning. I was a bit anxious about it since warranty is void. It's through Backcountry and their reviews are mostly good. The pictures didn't look too bad and the description made it sound like it was still fairly new (worn a few times). I'll give it a wash and test it out at the beach at Fort Worden. Not sure how else to assess it's leakiness or lack thereof (shower or bathtub?). If I go the bathtub route, I'll be sure to post a picture ::)

WooHoo! Christmas came early this year!

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Congrats on the new boat and suit.  If you know you won't be using it for a month send it to kokatat and they will pressure test for leaks.  Cost me about 25 bucks + shipping.  I was surprised at how many holes they found in mine.

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
*There is hair on the suit.
Might want to give it a shave as well?  Don't think the shower would help much other than help remove the hair.  Maybe it was a Halloween costume >:D
Put the suit over a cotton sweat suite and jump in a local pond. 

All that aside, it looks like a nice combo, have fun.

surforegon

• Lingcod
  • cannonbeachartz.com
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
Go with the Hobie.
Prowler Big Game 2, Hobie Outback,  Eddyline ultralite 12'               2016 junk jigs: Never seen that before. Second place.
2016 junk jigs: Most likely to be used as evidence in court. second place.

AndyFishes

• Rockfish
Yeah, that comment in the description about the hair had me scratching my head a little...It came yesterday and (visually) it's in great shape. Just a few little smudges and not really any hair that I could find. Of course, the proof will be in the testing...YMMV, but at first glance I think I got a great deal.

*There is hair on the suit.
Might want to give it a shave as well?  Don't think the shower would help much other than help remove the hair.  Maybe it was a Halloween costume >:D
Put the suit over a cotton sweat suite and jump in a local pond. 

All that aside, it looks like a nice combo, have fun.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Send it to Kokatat for testing.  Their iPhone may have spell-corrected "holes"

;D
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

anything