Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:41:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:04:32 PM]

by Spot
[Today at 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Cook Inlet primary/Seward secondary May 5 & 6 planning  (Read 3961 times)

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Ok.  Quick break from work...since I don't have internet at my new place yet.

Here's the basic details.

Target somewhere in Cook Inlet for Kings and Butt's.  Seward is a secondary location due to the anticipated Herring Runs and whatever fishies that may be following them...plus be good to put up some bait.

Current weather looks very promising in Cook Inlet.  East 10kts, 2ft for Saturday in Cook Inlet.  East is good because of minimal fetch.

here's Saturday for Anchor Point.  Lots of options for timing.

More later since I can tap out text via 3g easier and I really should get back to work. 

Anyone thinking about it????
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Akfishin

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
The AI and everything else still in Seattle waiting on the trailer to arrive, then on to the barge.  I'm a couple weeks out still, maybe in time for the derby, but looking doubtful to be on the water prior to June.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?sq30io

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I'm obligated Saturday night. I could make a Seward trip on Sunday. I'd go if someone wants to split gas. Ughg been cooped up at home and I want to get out. The weekend after is mothers day! So scratch that Sunday too. I might have to take work off soon so I can get fishing in!

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Ok.  I still have not committed to any spot.  Too early given the forcast.

Weather is ALL over the board.  While the Cook Inlet forecast has gotten ugly, you have to keep in mind that Cook Inlet is a pretty Big body of water.

Here's an experimental page that reflects a bit of what I mean by the influence of fetch and such.  Click on a specific spot on the map in the lower right corner and it gives you a forecast for that specific spot.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=59.819049851594635&lon=-151.9470213353634&site=afc&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=marine

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

BearToothClaw

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
I will be down in the Anchor Point area from the 4th to the 6th fishing out of my Cataraft, hope to see you down there.

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
I'll be looking to go out Saturday only, but not sure of the destination because of weather. I can leave town Friday afternoon to take advantage of a morning launch. Like Kardinal84, I'd prefer Cook Inlet in pursuit of Kings and halibut. But if those winds hold, just logging some time on the water in Resurrection Bay is good enough. I'd like to explore the structure from Tonsina to Callisto Head -- looks good for rockfish I think.  And surely Tonsina is running strong enough by now, improving prospects for Dollies at the mouth. 

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Akfishergal. If you haven't already, take a look at the spot marine forecast link I posted above. Where we fish is very tolerable in east winds. The zone forecast is ugly but spot forecast looks good. Not sure what to think yet. 

Click on a spot on the nap you see bottom right of the page.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?bzgu4f
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

akfishergal

• Salmon
That's a pretty slick way to zero in on the forecast, experimental notwithstanding. I'll keep watching the forecast over tomorrow and Friday. Saturday is the only day I've got for fishing this week, which makes it more iffy. 

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
  • It's not as fun if it's easy
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
You just wanna go for another sleigh ride!
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC
4th place 2014 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic
1st fish ever entered & Day 1 Champion 2013 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Not sure if I have the flu or cold but I'm sicker than a dog right now. The good news is Saturday is three days away. I didn't miss a day of school from 1st grade through high school. The only person in our district that beat me was my little bro who went k-12 without missing a day. Point being as long as the weather holds, I'm there...or somewhere...

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?3a1vlo

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
I'm still only at 75%. This cold/flu is kicking my butt. I can't make a decision till late tonight or even tomorrow. But this is the week we started catching last year and might be my only shot before the derby. Still it's tough to head out when you aren't 100%...especially alone.

Still uncertain at this time but if I can get on the water, confidence is high to catch something. 

Stay tuned.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?f2s300

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

akfishergal

• Salmon
I'm wary of launching into Cook Inlet solo. So I'll wait to see weather updates after 4, and whether you're likely to be down south. Would love to graduate from hooking a fish to catching a fish this weekend. Hope you feel better.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Arghhh...this makes it tough.

Small Craft Advisory for the zone but spot forecast says 1ft....

I have no idea.  I am leaning on trying it but maybe safer to go Seward or Whittier.....

I'll have to think about it.  Probably one of those 4am decisions.....

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=59.830554598475175&lon=-151.83456419035792&site=afc&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=marine

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

akfishergal

• Salmon
I don't know Rudy, looking down at the spot forecast at Anchor Point it looks like just a bit offshore the seas rise to 3 ft. Combined with rain and winds out of the NNE... You're probably right, that it's a 4 am call -- though for right now, ignoring rain, Whittier and Seward look OK. If it wasn't for the siren call of Kings... 

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Akfishergal, it is a tough call. You can see why I say I'm a terrible fishing partner. I sometimes decide as I am driving down or like last year I fished Seward, said "nope" ran down to whiskey gulch. I did catch a king that day. The way in feeling now it might be a 4am call as to whether or not I'm over this bug yet.  Arghhh...there's fish to be caught dang it!!!!!!!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?34bxpy

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com