Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 01:29:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:31:23 AM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Looking for Recommendations for a New Fish Finder for My Outback  (Read 6980 times)

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Ok, so I have a new Outback in need of a new Fish Finder.  I was planning on going with a Lowrance unit simply because I already have 2 of them and I'm already familiar with them.  Also I know the transducers will fit the Hobie mounts.  I haven't been hearing any good things about the Hook2 systems and the Reveal systems are out but are new so not really sure how those are holding up.

My wants are:
I like to have the time and voltage readout on the screen (Lowrance has this)
5 or maybe even 7 inch screen (my eyes aren't what they used to be)
Good imaging, maybe even side-scan (although not a necessity but it'd be cool to have  8))

No touchscreen  >:(  (water and touchscreens don't mix)

What are all of you running?  What are your thoughts on your systems?  Bonus points for telling me how easy it is to adapt the transducer to the Hobie Guardian transducer mounting system.
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

BasinYakGuy

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I have used hummingbird and lowrance... I think the new helix 7 g3 might be what you are looking for. 7 inch screen... Mega side imaging etc... I don't think it has a touch screen (that's not usually a feature until you get into the solid/onyx level units)
1st Place at your moms house 2022
3rd place to your sisters prom 2019

Plastic Pirate

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
I have used hummingbird and lowrance... I think the new helix 7 g3 might be what you are looking for. 7 inch screen... Mega side imaging etc... I don't think it has a touch screen (that's not usually a feature until you get into the solid/onyx level units)
What boat do you have the Hummingbird in?  I wonder how much better the G3 is over the G2.  I see they have SI on the G3 in 7 inch but not in the 5 inch (at least that I can find).  They do offer it on the 5 inch in the G2 though.
Ray
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
I have been very happy with the Hook2 5" tripleshot on my Outback, screen plenty big to have sonar-downscan side-by-side on the top and the sidescan across entire lower half of the screen.  Only an occasional issue getting a lock on the bottom, mostly over tall weeds like on Siltcoos, but this is easy to work around by manually setting the display range.  I have not felt the need for a larger screen and the additional power it would require.

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I have A 2020 Outback also.  I upgraded to a Garmin Striker 7 plus SV.  The install was easy.  Because of the side view the transducer it gets mounted on the bottom of the cover.  Hobie comes with the protective nose cap and the guardian system allows it to be lifted up into the hull for protection when not in use.

I really like the Garmin.  It is way more user friendly than Lowrance.  My unit doesn’t have preloaded maps but had QuickDraw contours you can map your own lakes.  Even without the maps, it still does the tracks and you can mark waypoints so it works the same as having a map for me.
The two best times to fish is when it’s raining and when it ain’t. -Patrick McManus

Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I have the Helix G2 CHIRP SI and it also makes maps on the fly.  For screen size, I like smaller screens.  It's a personal failing, but the bigger the screen, the more time I spend watching it instead of fishing.  YMWMCV.

I don't like or dislike the Humminbird.  The biggest thing I hate about it is that I can't customize the screen overlays to the same extent I could with any Lowrance, and the menu system isn't the best.

I'm thinking of going with a Garmin for the new Trident but I'll have to try to start a chat with Mr. baddays about them because the array of models Gramin offers gets a bit confusing.
Everything will be all right in the end, so if it's not all right, then it's not yet the end.

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Lowrance Elite TI2 7" here... great unit. The side scanning is interesting but useless for the type of fishing I do. Came from a Raymarine Dragonfly which crapped out but their warrenty ended up replacing it so no major complains with either Lowrance or Raymarine. I think I'll stick with Lowrance though. I've had no issues using the touch screen.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 05:52:54 PM by workhard »

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
That Garmin looks nice James.  The screen looks really clear and it seems to have all the overlays that I'd want on the screen.  I will have to due some research into Garmin.  I never really looked into them before.
Ray
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
I have had two lowrance models. However, I think I am making the switch to Garmin. I have heard a lot of good things and their built in maps seem to be pretty good.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
I have had two lowrance models. However, I think I am making the switch to Garmin. I have heard a lot of good things and their built in maps seem to be pretty good.

I'm leaning that way too...
Ray
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
In that other thread I know I bagged on the Hook2 5" a bit.    I think I only paid 250 for mine after rebates, and had the navionics mapping pack.  This was quite a bit cheaper than other options in a 5" screen.

I went out twice this weekend and when I first launched on saturday it was giving me fits.  Restarted and started tweaking settings to see if I could make it more reliable.  Played with the "ping rate" by increasing it and after that I have had zero issues with bottom lock.  Small sample size, but happy about that.  When it works I am happy with it for what it's worth. 

One thing with the Hook2 series is that the doubleshot/tripleshot is not just a difference in transducer included, but also on the finder hardware side.  I did not know this before I purchased and wish I did.  What this means is that if you buy a double shot, you cannot add side scan by getting a triple shot transducer.   

Also, you say you have Lowrance transducers already.  This was a reason I went with the Hook2 series since I was moving between 2 boats and already had another Lowrance transducer.  Note that the transducer and power connection is different for the Hook2 so older elite/hook1 series transducers won't directly connect.  There is a transducer adapter connector that I think is 20 bucks.  The power cord is also 20 a shot or something like that.   You could probably get away with one Lowrance power cord if you spliced it and did the 2 pin disconnects on the outside of the thru hull connection. 

Like I mentioned in that other thread, I don't think I have read a single person complain about their Garmin Echomap series (Stryker series people seem to complain that it doesnt map, but that's pretty clearly stated in its specs).  MY only beef was with mapping, at least last year, if you wanted marine and inland detail maps you had to buy both chips, which added an extra 100 or so.  They use the G3 maps, even though they are navionics data, the typical Navionics+, $100 marine+inland doesn't work...

Also with the echomap, they made a transducer change last year or the year before (due to a dispute with Lowrance over the downscan technology).  I think there are some of the older ones still hanging out there at steep discounts so watch out.  I believe the transducer you want will start with GT, where the bad ones start with CV. 

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
Thanks Shin09.

I do have 2 Lowrance units already.  I have a Elite 4 HDI on my 2015 Outback and an Elite 4x HDI on the Oasis.  That's one reason I was going to go with Lowrance again but the more I look at the Garmin units the more I like them.  Right now its down to either a Garmin or one of the new Lowrance Reveal units...
Ray
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
I think Lowrance heard I was thinking about jumping ship and they keep trying to entice me...

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/lowrance-hook2-7x-tripleshot-gps-plotter-fishfinder

Ray
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
No maps with the hook2 x-series...

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
Ok, I think I have it narrowed down...

Choice 1:
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/garmin-striker-plus-7sv-fishfinder-gps-combo

Choice 2:
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/humminbird-helix-7-chirp-si-gps-g2-fishfinder-and-chartplotter

Choice 3:
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/garmin-echomap-plus-73sv-chartplotter-fishfinder-combo

Sold Out...

What are your thoughts?

...and before anyone says anything, yes I looked at local stores first but they were either much more expensive or else didn't have the models I was looking for...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 04:23:22 PM by hdpwipmonkey »
Ray
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge