Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 09:17:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by DBam
[Today at 06:47:56 AM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:52:48 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: 1st annual Barbie rod salt water classic  (Read 15232 times)

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Woohoo!!!!!  I had a blast!!! Thanks RipnDrag!!!!
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Fergy

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
Tried my best, but iron man failed me. Had 2 on without getting the hook set. went back to the chum bucket, turned and hear splash, bubble, bubble...and see iron man doing a slow sink. Could not tell if the power module was glowing. If anyone comes across Tony Stark floating in the inlet, give him a ride to the beach. I need him to design a new suit for me.

saltykayAK

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Tried my best, but iron man failed me. Had 2 on without getting the hook set. went back to the chum bucket, turned and hear splash, bubble, bubble...and see iron man doing a slow sink. Could not tell if the power module was glowing. If anyone comes across Tony Stark floating in the inlet, give him a ride to the beach. I need him to design a new suit for me.
I sent Barbie to the bottom about the same way, so maybe they will meet up on the bottom and live happily ever after.

AKRod

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I wish I had stuck it out but the bad winds for 2 days beat me up that and the fact my wife was leaving on that Sunday for an extended business trip hastened my return to Wasilla. Maybe next year.

michilutiiq

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
I wish I could go. I am currently waiting for some rudder pins to get to me. Sounds like a blast though.

Hobie rudder pins?  Alaska Raft and Kayak had a dozen or so on order last time I checked.  Call them.

Weather looking marginal for Saturday....  But who knows.  I'll be somewhere fishing!

Yea I was in there Monday, they are going to call me when they come in. I'm hoping to get them by the 24th.
A good option to patch the rudder pin is the metal point on a standard stringer.  Not a long-term answer,  but something  I've done twice during bad situations.

Ripndrag

• Lingcod
Rudy I have a harpoon for you and am working on a trophy.next year I'm going to try to be more organized Let us know how you like the harpoon I'm going to build a bunch this winter and plan on everyone who enters a halibut geting one next year and I'm working on a few sponsored prizes also.
Take the sticker off your hat Bend the rim and go fishing!

TALL FORCE

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
I wish I could go. I am currently waiting for some rudder pins to get to me. Sounds like a blast though.

Hobie rudder pins?  Alaska Raft and Kayak had a dozen or so on order last time I checked.  Call them.

Weather looking marginal for Saturday....  But who knows.  I'll be somewhere fishing!

Yea I was in there Monday, they are going to call me when they come in. I'm hoping to get them by the 24th.
A good option to patch the rudder pin is the metal point on a standard stringer.  Not a long-term answer,  but something  I've done twice during bad situations.

That is a good idea, I will have to remember that. Thanks for the help.
"You will not catch anything with your hook out of the water, well nothing worth keeping anyway."

AKRider

• Lingcod
  • Let's FISH Southcentral AK!
Rudy I have a harpoon for you and am working on a trophy.next year I'm going to try to be more organized Let us know how you like the harpoon I'm going to build a bunch this winter and plan on everyone who enters a halibut geting one next year and I'm working on a few sponsored prizes also.

Having seen the harpoon - nice job by the way - I did a quick check on AMZN to see how much a set of club shafts/handles would run.   Less than $20 each new, but I know you have a connection for used units.  If you have any trouble finding good quality shafts I'd be happy to throw down some cash to support the project for next year - my 'poon is OK, but my carbon steel Macgyver point is definitely showing a lot of rust and the rinse and WD40 treatment is slowly not keeping up!
AKRider

Disclaimer - 'Online fishing advice is worth every penny you pay for it'

Ripndrag

• Lingcod
Next year any line size is ok kinda made me sick when I busted off 60 lb leader

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I'd still use 20lbs test. More line capacity is more important I think.  If you broke 60lbs line that's pretty amazing. Very very difficult to apply that kind of force from a kayak. 

I also have a backup plan.  For running out of line. I think for Barbie style fishing A) finesse vs brawn. B) trolling vs anchored.  It has to do more with how a fish reacts after the bite.
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

AKRider

• Lingcod
  • Let's FISH Southcentral AK!
60lb leader must have been scarred... or taken out the same way as we have seen trailing hooks and full rigs sheared clean off on strike.  I have had my 50b leaders come back without any terminal tackle, clean cut or break above the snell by a few inches.    There is something down there with some pretty sharp teeth methinks....
AKRider

Disclaimer - 'Online fishing advice is worth every penny you pay for it'

saltykayAK

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015

Having seen the harpoon - nice job by the way - I did a quick check on AMZN to see how much a set of club shafts/handles would run.   Less than $20 each new, but I know you have a connection for used units.  If you have any trouble finding good quality shafts I'd be happy to throw down some cash to support the project for next year - my 'poon is OK, but my carbon steel Macgyver point is definitely showing a lot of rust and the rinse and WD40 treatment is slowly not keeping up!
I found my shaft at the local thrift store for $1.

Ripndrag

• Lingcod
Just bumping this thread up so people can see what it's all about.
We are going to have this years tournament July 16th if the weather is good.

katinalaska

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016

I have several spare rudder pins and will be in WG by some time this evening. Would be happy to let you have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
That's awful nice of you, Kat, but this is last year's thread.  Ripndrag brought it back from the grave just for reference. 
2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13

anything