Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 05:12:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Plap
[Today at 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: HOW Vet gets his first taste of Sturgeon  (Read 6158 times)

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
I'd like to think we're all forgiving people on here, but the dude owes Noah and Dino an apology.

Normally I would agree, but this:

How many of you are Vets, I respect the effort but do you have a clue?

That really pisses me off, since it's obvious he doesn't have a clue at all, then name drops his uncle, like every Tom, Dick and Harry in the several million+ personnel in the armed forces is going to know the guy.

Oh and btw slug, half or more of the ALL VOLUNTEER group in the Puget Sound chapter are either Veterans or Active Duty. 

After Afghanistan, separation from the Army, and a divorce, kayaking and my kids saved my life. Volunteering with HOW lets me show others just how beneficial kayaking and fishing can be to the soul.

The guy was online around 9am this morning and didn't bother to apologize either. 

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I view this as an opportunity to educate SeaSlug (and the rest of us) about what HOW is really about (and what NWKA really is about).   Having seen HOW grow from its infancy, it's pretty amazing the effort they put out all over the world.  And I applaud you NWKAer's that put in the time for a worthy cause.

From Canoe & Kayaks "Paddle with a Purpose" award that HOW won last year.

http://www.canoekayak.com/canoe-kayak-awards/heroes-on-the-water/

THE METHOD: Bring wounded veterans together with experienced kayak anglers, and go fishing.

Heroes on the Water serves all military personnel who have been wounded, injured or disabled. What looks like a day trip of paddling and fishing for wounded vets is in fact something much deeper and long-lasting. As all paddlers know, time on the water is therapeutic. HOW facilitates that healing by bringing wounded veterans together with experienced kayak anglers in 35 chapters around the country. Founder Jim Dolan estimates HOW has introduced 4,800 wounded veterans to kayak fishing, and his goal is to have 100 chapters nationwide serving 10,000 veterans. Being on the water gives soldiers a feeling of peace and freedom from their wounds—an experience that “coalesces into personal revelations that while the wounds may have closed one door, there are other doors to explore. Life is still good."

-Allen

redwire

Thank you all for the support.
A very big thanks to all the folks who took me out
Noah, wobbler, lingbanger, and jammer
(Hoping I got all those correct and truly sorry if I didn't after the amazing opportunity you guys gave me)
Also in turn with this to islandshopper for all his hospitality
And to all of them for being all around great people
A long time ago I overheard " anyone that will take another out fishing out of kindness or hate is good by my book"
And that certainly applies here.
I'm sorry that my service came under question and the seemingly high extent of drama that ensued I do not believe any wrong was meant as usually it is bad experiences that lead to broad range hate.
I do not believe that is what this forum is about either and I hope to continue to see the amount of support witnessed here and simple comraderie amongst so many different people with one common goal, to enjoy life on the water while catching anything worth fishing for... Or something deep like that.
Laughter is medicine
Hope to someday have the opportunity to meet all of you on the water and not only fish but "catch" an experience worth remembering.
-Redwire out-

Rory

• Sturgeon
  • Rory's Internets Audio Blog
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
You got me all jealous with that sturgeon haul, redwire! Congrats. Lookin forward to meeting ya.
"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

anything