Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:19:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:45:55 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Hobie From SD  (Read 1980 times)

Oolie

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Aug 2023
Hello, pedal yakker here from SoCal.
Just moved up, and in three months when the time to buy licenses comes I will be eligible for a resident one, just in time for lings.

I was reviewing the rules for fishing WA state and wow there are some.

I'm eager to show the Kings and bottomfish the bottom of my net!

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
Welcome aboard! What part of SoCal you from? I'm from Long Beach originally.

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

Oolie

• Plankton
San Diego, lot's of good fishing near shore there, I feel the Sound won't be too different from La Jolla or Long beach.

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
I'm from San Diego too.
Didn't get real serious about kayak fishing till I moved up here. I pretty much only fished largemouth down there. I will forever regret not taking my boat on the salt for calico, sandys, halibut, tail, white sea bass, and or thresher, in the 15 years I lived there.

I really appreciate the variety up here tho. To date, I have caught 39 species in Oregon, way more than I ever did in CA.

I have no doubt you'll love the fishing up here!
NWKA is great, definintely reduced the learning curve for me while figuring out how to target and catch new species. Also, pretty much every friend I've made since moving here, was a result of the site.

If you're not already familiar with such things, definitely make sure you have all the proper safety gear and know how. Lots of info here about all that.

Be safe, have fun!
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
I'm originally from Long Beach myself. I miss the days of LA Harbor fishing and getting out to Catalina and San Clemente (from charters of course) and fishing for bonito and yellowtail. Ah, the days of my youth. Have fun with those halis in the sound. If you like 'em real close to shore, you're going to love it!

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

Oolie

• Plankton
Safety gear collection has begun, hopefully I will be well stocked by the time new licenses are available.

That halibut close to shore sound like fun. I'm willing to make a couple trips up to MA 9, if anyone's willing to join. Got a gaff as well, and can dispatch unruly buts.

That said I've never been fond of the California halibut as far as eating goes, hopefully these diamond shaped ones are better.

I've been too lucky in San Diego, so I'm thinking I won't get report worthy fish for the first few months while learning, but I do appreciate eating what most others think of as trash fish, so hopefully I can do something good when non-target species hit the net.

bernie3674

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jun 2022
you made the right choice as La Jolla has been dead lately, you might get a keeper size calico and bait.  I live in LA and I fish WA and OR too, I am planning to come up this summer again to fish Pacific City, I hope to see you there!

Oolie

• Plankton
you made the right choice as La Jolla has been dead lately, you might get a keeper size calico and bait.  I live in LA and I fish WA and OR too, I am planning to come up this summer again to fish Pacific City, I hope to see you there!
Officially a resident here, so now I can fish!

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Welcome to the NWKA Oolie.  This is a great forum.  I had the opportunity to fish in SanDiego bay with Glenn at Sand Dog Kayak Adventures a couple years ago.  I will be in SoCal in May to do a Spartan run at Big Bear and will bring my Hobie TI to take the grandkids fishing in SanDiego.  Will be staying at Vancouver Island in June/July to enjoy what you have available in WA.  I have been building my safety gear for the Pacific North West for the last three years.  Looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 07:23:40 AM by YakHunter »
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

anything