Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 10:01:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:35:26 PM]

[Today at 05:31:18 AM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: 4-14 trip planning thread  (Read 6986 times)

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
  • It's not as fun if it's easy
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
No fish in Homer today, but that's mostly because my kayaking companion wasn't too enthused about staying out long enough to find them.  However, the only thing the weather report got right was the wind.  Flat water all day.  Too bad I didn't get to fish more. 
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC
4th place 2014 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic
1st fish ever entered & Day 1 Champion 2013 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Seward was a perfect place for a shakedown cruise today -- Resurrection Bay was like a lake when we departed, and seas were 2 ft on the return.  No fish to report for our efforts but it was a brilliant day to feed our confidence. 

Thought some of you might want to see the conditions -- just gets better and better from here on out.

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
It was a good day for the inaugural run. The only hiccup in my setup really is my down rigger. But I think I have come up with the fix. I did troll around the 8lb pancake weight and I could hardly tell it was down there.

Also I learned that the outback is a little sluggish when your net falls off the yak and hangs up on the rudder. ::) I bet I towed that stupid thing for a half hour till i finally thought to turn around and see what was going on. It had got pretty choppy when that happened and for awhile I thought it was just the rough water.

I felt totally safe out there. I was even trying to make things a little more interesting for myself in the waves on the way back. Im almost thinking I should have got the revo after watching akfishergal and hearing what she had to say about it. It looked plenty stable to me.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 09:52:35 PM by rimfirematt »

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
It's good that you guys got comfy before the action gets hot and heavy pretty soon.  Next time
You can feel confident and not have to worry about your boat....just fish.

Hopefully things will pick up soon, I'm pretty sure we're all getting a little jumpy about first blood of the season.
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Great report. It's wAy early to expect fish though it can happen anytime he bait is in the water.  It depends on if I have access to. 4wd or not but I'm going to start looking at Deep Creek to Anchor Point pretty seriously for he weekend of 4/21.  if I ish Deep Creek, my ivic might not cut it.  It's best to drive two or so miles down the beach so you are out of the conservation area.

Last yer we caught halibut May 1 and a king May 8.  Of course the winter last year was much milder.

Time start checking out the tides and scoping out the weather.

Thanks for the update!

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
Gimme a shout.  I've got a couple options for 4x4 and the beach.  If you want to fish we'll get there no problem.

9th place 2014 ORC

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Gimme a shout.  I've got a couple options for 4x4 and the beach.  If you want to fish we'll get there no problem.

Thanks will do. Trying to secure an oversized tackle box....a beater early 90's Toyota four runner. But not sure I can for this coming weekend. But the plan is to hit somewhere from deep creek to Homer the 21st and/or the 22nd...conditions allowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Im almost thinking I should have got the revo after watching akfishergal and hearing what she had to say about it. It looked plenty stable to me.

I'm interested in seeing the revo in action as well.

But for me since I often go out alone, every bit of stability was important as a newbie. But I agree the outback is stability overkill which is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Also I'm not the most organized fisherman. My rails are always loaded with Gatorade bottles (that don't fit in cup holders) extra jigs, extra sinkers, extra pre tied hooks, bait etc. looking at the revo layout, I would need to be a much more organized fisherman. And with a downrigger right behind me, accessing my soft bag is a PITA and a tad scary in three to four foot chop.

The efficiency of the revo would be welcome though! I think my next yak a year or two down the road is a tandem island so I can take one kid with the other in my outback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

anything