Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:34:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Turbo fins or no turbo fins: My experience  (Read 2476 times)

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
So I know this has been covered but last weekend, I had a chance to compare an outback with turbo fins and sailing rudder to one without the truboo fins and sailing rudder.

I read several articles about how it might be ok to not upgrade to turbos initially to get leg strength.  Michele had an impossible time keeping up with me even though I was going one third my normal cadence on the turbos.  The standard fins were like biking on flat ground in first gear on a ten speed bike the whole time.  It wore her out just from the extar pedalling she had to do. 

Also in the stronger currents and wind, the standard rudder could not keep her steady enough and the kayak had a difficult time tracking and turning as she would be going against then with the current.  The problem doubled in magnitude after she deployed her gear.  With the standard rudder, the tracking was terrible as it pulled toward the trolled gear.  The intensity of the "pull" constantly varied as she went with or against the current which is to be expected but it made for a LOT of adjustments just trying to troll in a straight line. I had zero issues with the sailing rudder and have no issues even when pulling a 8 pound downrigger weight. 

I am sure everyone has their opinions and results may vary but my intial reactions is the trubo fins and sailing rudder should be standard equipment for an outback.  I think mandatory if you are using it in areas of high wind or current and you are trolling big gear for bigger fish..
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

• Chris
  • True Life: I'm Addicted To Kayak Fishing
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
I agree with you. The turbos and sailing rudder should come standard on the Outback. The difference really is night and day. I experienced similar difficulties when I first got my Outback. I struggled to keep up with an upgraded Outback. You would think with how expensive Hobies are they would at least come standard with the upgrades. I guess it's brilliant...it's a way to get more money out of the consumer. Honestly I don't have a use for my standard fins and rudder. Might as well throw them a way.
1st Place 2015 Chinook Showdown 
8th Place 2014 AOTD
1st Place 2013 AOTD                        
"Everyone should believe in something,  I believe I'll go fishing."

Sponsorship and Support:
Waxer's Surf Shop
Hobie Fishing Team
Lancer Jigs
Pro-Cure Scents

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I agree with you. The turbos and sailing rudder should come standard on the Outback. The difference really is night and day. I experienced similar difficulties when I first got my Outback. I struggled to keep up with an upgraded Outback. You would think with how expensive Hobies are they would at least come standard with the upgrades. I guess it's brilliant...it's a way to get more money out of the consumer. Honestly I don't have a use for my standard fins and rudder. Might as well throw them a way.

Think of them like the doughnut tire that comes in most car trunks.  They are a free spare (if needed) since you already own them.  Put them in a bag with a wrench and stuff them in a hatch.

That being said, I agree.  The turbo fins and sailing rudder should be standard, or available as an upgrade for a small price jump.   
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 07:33:12 PM by craig »

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
my intial reactions is the trubo fins and sailing rudder should be standard equipment for an outback.

I think that goes for all of the Hobies. The first time I took out my Adventure, I was sorely disappointed with the performance of the mirage drive.
When I launched with the stock fins, I was almost ready to send it back. It was like pedaling with your wheel off the ground or a granny gear.
Then I got a pair of the turbo fins and that gave it some bite and the boat finally started to move.

But don't throw away the standard "sails" (what Hobie used to call their fins) yet! They really do work like a granny gear and are great if you need to tow someone.

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=6709.msg69951#msg69951

All you have to do is keep a complete second set of pedals in the boat. ::)
yeah right
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 06:08:46 AM by Fishesfromtupperware »
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"