Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:58:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Rigged Hobie Revolution  (Read 34397 times)

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
It's a great thread. I continue to refer back to it.
+1. Some of rigging options even work for other kayak models.
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
It is a great thread... almost every rigging option all on one kayak. ;)
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
It is a great thread... almost every rigging option all on one kayak. ;)

Oh yeah, the floating porcupine!  I want a shot with the full La Jolla peacock fan.   ;)

Just teasing you Jeff. 

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Oh yeah, the floating porcupine!  I want a shot with the full La Jolla peacock fan.   ;)

I'll try and get one just for you!  ;)

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

• Chris
  • True Life: I'm Addicted To Kayak Fishing
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
After doing some more research and planning on my permanent rigging of the Outback I decided that Yak Attack Gear Trac  is a better option for me. I store my kayak upside down and bolted down Ram balls will surely be in the way. I like the idea of the gear trac system. It's clean, I can mount it flush, I have the option to move things around according to the fishing I'm going to be doing and it's universal. I can still use Ram balls but they don't have to be permanent. I'm going to ditch the milk crate and store gear inside the boat. The only things I really need handy are my fish bonker, lip grips and hawg trough. Jigs and such can be stored in the crotch hatch or I can keep stuff in my Pfd pockets. Clutter tends to make me freak out and I think it will be fun to get things dialed in to my liking. So I guess this thread is turning into more of an inspiration and less of a copy and paste in design. So again, thanks!
1st Place 2015 Chinook Showdown 
8th Place 2014 AOTD
1st Place 2013 AOTD                        
"Everyone should believe in something,  I believe I'll go fishing."

Sponsorship and Support:
Waxer's Surf Shop
Hobie Fishing Team
Lancer Jigs
Pro-Cure Scents

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
Good to hear!  Before I started using a Hobie Livewell my rear gear well was reserved for my kill bag and my dry bag.  All of my gear went below deck so I think you've got a good plan. 

I installed a set of Yak Attack Gear Tracks on my PA12 and I really like them.  I have been considering installing them on my Revo too. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 10:26:40 PM by rawkfish »

2011 Angler Of The Year
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Hey Jeff, can you post some pictures of your bow bungee addition?

Dray

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
+1  I'd like to see how you went about it...I've been thinking adding this, but it seems like it would make getting into the front hatch a pain.

I haven't seen this thread before so I'm a bit late with this, but dang...great job Rawk.  I'm going to steal some of your ideas.  Thanks for posting this!
Dave

Skidplate

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
+2

Is it similar to Demonick's deck bungee? http://www.demonick.com/kayak/HMR/Bow.Bungee.Lacing/HMR.Bow.Bungee.Lacing.html
My wife thinks fishing is merely guys wandering around like idiots swinging sticks in the air. Many of my trips prove how smart she really is.

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
+2

Is it similar to Demonick's deck bungee? http://www.demonick.com/kayak/HMR/Bow.Bungee.Lacing/HMR.Bow.Bungee.Lacing.html
Similar but more simply as I recall.

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
Bungee on the bow:

I wanted to add some bungee to the bow mainly because I wanted to have a place to easily store the mirage drive when I needed to pull it for whatever reason.  I didn't want to rely on putting it in the rear gear well since that space is now usually taken up by the livewell and also I didn't want to chance dropping the drive while I was moving it behind me.  By storing it on the bow, I don't even need to un-clip and move the leash for the drive.  The bungee also creates a very handy temporary place to stow my paddle.  I just shove one blade under the chords and my paddle is held right where I can easily grab it again. 

The design is really simple: six bungee hooks, six pop-rivets, and a length of bungee.  I used hooks for the whole thing since I didn't want to have to use other parts and also because I like the idea of being able to temporarily remove the bungee.  I could also use this bungee system to hold onto my kill bag, but I haven't really tried to use it that way yet. 

How it looks when set for normal use.  In this position, the bungee is fairly loose and isn't really stretched at all.

This tightens the bungee a little to the point where it makes the bow hatch a little more secure.  I use it this way when going through surf but the drive is locked in.

Here it is with the drive stowed.  The bungee is pretty taught and drive is well secured and doesn't wiggle much at all.  This also provides a bonus of the hatch being REALLY water tight.

Bungee in the wrapped up position when not in use so the hatch can easily be opened.

If you use pop-rivets to mount the bungee hooks, make sure there are no sharp edges on them after installing them.  Sharp edges will obviously screw up the bungee chord. 

2011 Angler Of The Year

Dray

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
I like it; good idea to use all hooks so you can configure the bungee differently or remove it all together.

Another thing I noticed in your pictures is a bag mounted to the back of your seat: is this a hobie accessory or something you've found and added?  Great idea, I'd really like to have something like that.
Dave

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
I like it; good idea to use all hooks so you can configure the bungee differently or remove it all together.

Another thing I noticed in your pictures is a bag mounted to the back of your seat: is this a hobie accessory or something you've found and added?  Great idea, I'd really like to have something like that.

Good question.  This product has come up a few times in some discussions I've had with people so I'm glad I can get on this thread.

It's a Crack Of Dawn Apex Rod Holder Bag (on amazon.com)

I just used zip-ties and the included straps to attach it to the seat. 

EDIT: Surf to Summit makes one too that looks like the same thing.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 02:09:00 PM by rawkfish »

2011 Angler Of The Year

• Chris
  • True Life: I'm Addicted To Kayak Fishing
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012

Good question.  This product has come up a few times in some discussions I've had with people so I'm glad I can get on this thread.

It's a Crack Of Dawn Apex Rod Holder Bag (on amazon.com)

I just used zip-ties and the included straps to attach it to the seat.
I like the seat bag idea. I'm all about keeping it simple. I'm waiting for all my Yak Attack gear to arrive. Can't wait to start my rigging. I may have to pick up that seat bag. It would be perfect for my fish bonker and gaff. Amazon has a great price for that thing. I've seen similar makes and models for $10-15 more.
1st Place 2015 Chinook Showdown 
8th Place 2014 AOTD
1st Place 2013 AOTD                        
"Everyone should believe in something,  I believe I'll go fishing."

Sponsorship and Support:
Waxer's Surf Shop
Hobie Fishing Team
Lancer Jigs
Pro-Cure Scents

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
so when`s the video? not sure it is needed but still would like to see a walk around and inside around video tutorial, am still deciding on what to do with my revo`s as far as drillin  and cutting, time and use will tell me what my needs are, I sure like your revo though what a fishing machine!