Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:29:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

[Today at 12:21:09 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Rigged Hobie Revolution  (Read 34340 times)

Guppy Tamer

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
+1 on the video!

kfshr

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Under what conditions do you see yourself wanting carry your Mirage Drive strapped to your bow, for long periods of time?

langcod

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Under what conditions do you see yourself wanting carry your Mirage Drive strapped to your bow, for long periods of time?

It wouldn't be strapped there for long periods of time, but when landing or launching it makes for a very convenient place to store it. That was were I would store mine on my old outback.

2015 ORC 3rd Place Winner

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
After a while you will find when launching, walking the yak into the water and dropping the rudder and mirage drive by hand is easier than paddling out, stowing the paddle, then dropping the drive and rudder.

Also, after a while you will find when landing, loosening the rudder hold down cable, charging the shoreline, pulling up the mirage drive and just laying in the drive well and coasting, until you can hop out in shallow water is easier than paddling in.

I use my paddle on about 1 out of 10 trips.
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

• Chris
  • True Life: I'm Addicted To Kayak Fishing
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
Not to get off subject...I am considering the revo as my second boat. I like the deck space on my Outback but the sleekness of the revo is attractive. It might be nice to not feel so sluggish in the water. The Outback proves to be pretty 'tanky'. Don't get me wrong I love my boat! But the grass is always greener...

To add to what demonick said about launching and landing. I agree it's easier and it also adds a cool factor. Every time I come in from fishing there's always someone waiting to ask questions about the mirage drive. I should be a Hobie sales rep...I'm always promoting their boats anyway.
1st Place 2015 Chinook Showdown 
8th Place 2014 AOTD
1st Place 2013 AOTD                        
"Everyone should believe in something,  I believe I'll go fishing."

Sponsorship and Support:
Waxer's Surf Shop
Hobie Fishing Team
Lancer Jigs
Pro-Cure Scents

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Not to get off subject...I am considering the revo as my second boat. I like the deck space on my Outback but the sleekness of the revo is attractive. It might be nice to not feel so sluggish in the water. The Outback proves to be pretty 'tanky'. Don't get me wrong I love my boat! But the grass is always greener...

To add to what demonick said about launching and landing. I agree it's easier and it also adds a cool factor. Every time I come in from fishing there's always someone waiting to ask questions about the mirage drive. I should be a Hobie sales rep...I'm always promoting their boats anyway.

+1   Everytime I go out.
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I had a couple of reasons for storing the mirage drive on the bow.

First, I wanted somewhere to put the mirage drive while going out and coming back in through the surf if I wanted to paddle.  I find that while I use the mirage drive in the surf a majority of the time, there are still times when I will want to stow the drive and paddle in.  I like to try and surf waves on the way back in sometimes and having the drive locked in and the rudder down makes it more difficult to control the kayak in the surf.  Of course, you can put one pedal forward and one back and that works ok, but it's still in the way of your legs and when you go to hop out, the weight of the kayak can sometimes be resting on the posts of the fins, which ends up bending them.  I recommend pulling the rudder all the way up if you think you will be picked up by a wave and want to try to brace the wave and stay upright though.  In my experience if your rudder is down, you pretty much have little to no chance of controlling yourself if a wave picks you up. 

The second reason I wanted to stow my drive on the bow is so that I have a place to put big fish (under my legs) since my rear gear well is usually taken up by the Hobie Livewell.  That way I can do the happy paddle back in.   ;)

The bungees also work nicely as a place to keep my kill bag while out on the water or a quick place to stow my paddle.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
I've never done a surf launch. 

The bungee looks like a tight, secure place to stow the drive on the way out and the way in.
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com