Forum > For Safety's Sake

Depoe Bay report 1-Jun-2019

(1/5) > >>

Saltydog0:
I haven’t had the chance to put bottom fish in the kayak in quite a while and have been itching to get out.  Looking at the forecast all week, I finally made the call to hit Depoe this morning.  I would have to go early to ensure I had my limits before the wind kicked up. 

Clayman:
Glad to hear you're okay. Table Rock is a damn spooky spot to be anytime except the flattest of days. +1 on checking the nuts on the Mirage Drive before every trip!

What forecasts were you looking at for today? Everything I've read said this weekend's seas were going to suck. According to the NOAA buoys, the wind's been blowing non-stop less than ten miles out.

dampainter:
geez glad to hear all is ok.  thanks for report.

hdpwipmonkey:
Glad it worked out for you in the end.  I will be sure to check my nylock nuts now.

+1 on needing rope.  I carry throw rope in the hull and I have a bow line clipped to my front pad eye and it gets stuffed under the bungie for the front hatch.  That way someone can just come up next to me and pull it and it will unfurl from under the bungie and they can pull me if needed or catch my boat if its floating away.  I can't remember but I think it was Mojo that showed me that trick.

bb2fish:
That sounds pretty scary!  Glad you're OK.
I have a rope with me always, and on the ocean, I also carry a rescue rope to throw.
A bad situation can get worse if it becomes two boats in a precarious place!  If I'm the one in a bad spot, hopefully, I can throw to a rescuer.  If someone else is a bad spot, I don't have to get in that same bad spot just to help them out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version