Forum > For Safety's Sake

Hobie drive nuts

(1/5) > >>

rogerdodger:
this is the approach that I have taken to secure my drive nuts....I applied medium strength 'blue' loctite to the exposed threads and then tightened a regular SS nut up against the Hobie nylock nut.   I checked them after my recent bottom fishing trip (4 hours at the pedals) and no change, all good.

INSAYN:
I'm curious how easy it will be to remove the Loc-Tited nut without damaging the plastic drive slot. 
Can you give it a few weeks and break one loose as an experiment?

rogerdodger:

--- Quote from: INSAYN on June 26, 2019, 06:53:35 PM ---I'm curious how easy it will be to remove the Loc-Tited nut without damaging the plastic drive slot. 

--- End quote ---

for sure, my plan is to hold the nylock nut in place with a 7/16 spanner and then loosen the normal nut (that has loctite under it), which should keep stress on the plastic drive slot to a minimum...   

INSAYN:

--- Quote from: rogerdodger on June 26, 2019, 07:33:54 PM ---
--- Quote from: INSAYN on June 26, 2019, 06:53:35 PM ---I'm curious how easy it will be to remove the Loc-Tited nut without damaging the plastic drive slot. 

--- End quote ---

for sure, my plan is to hold the nylock nut in place with a 7/16 spanner and then loosen the normal nut (that has loctite under it), which should keep stress on the plastic drive slot to a minimum...   

--- End quote ---

I would think that would just turn the cable inside the Nylock, and put the same pressures on plastic cable slot?

rogerdodger:

--- Quote from: INSAYN on June 26, 2019, 09:19:18 PM ---
--- Quote from: rogerdodger on June 26, 2019, 07:33:54 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I would think that would just turn the cable inside the Nylock, and put the same pressures on plastic cable slot?

--- End quote ---

I am thinking that first, it will break the nuts loose from each other while putting minimal stress on the plastic slot (remembering that I tightened the nuts together using 2 wrenches).  If that nut separation is due to the new nut loosening, then done deal, the loctite bond is broken.  If it occurs due to the cable end turning in the nylock, then I will still need to break the loctite bond.  At this point, holding the nylock firm against the plastic will add its remaining resistance to the cable end turning to the resistance from the plastic slot.

I sure wouldn't do this with the red 'high strength' loctite.... ;D     

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version