Forum > For Safety's Sake

All metal SS lock nuts

<< < (3/4) > >>

[WR]:
Roger, check your mail.

rogerdodger:
OK, I have a result, a negative one.

Some of the top lock nuts, one on each side, were not getting enough of a grab on the threads and were loosening up when I checked after 30 minutes on Munsel Lake.  I'm not sure if this is due to manufacturing variation in the nuts or differences in the cable ends, which only have short segments of threads on two sides due to the flats on each side.

Conclusion:  SS top lock nuts not going on my drive.

I have decided to go with my previous solution:  I installed brand new SS nyloc nuts, tightened to correctly 'tension' the drive cables, and backed them up with a normal SS nut that is tightened up against the nyloc nut and has some blue loctite applied to its threads.

Safety Glasses Off!  Fish On!   cheers, roger

bb2fish:
Even though you had negative results, this information is very informative and useful.  Thanks Roger!

INSAYN:
Roger, I'm curious what your pedal strokes are like. Are you all shaky and vibrate while you pedal along?  You seem to have an issue with them backing off pretty frequently.

I've been rocking my 2010 Revo since new, and never had a drive nut loosen on me that I can remember.
I carry spare Nylocs in my first aid kit but never needed one yet. 

rogerdodger:

--- Quote from: INSAYN on July 14, 2019, 06:49:54 PM ---Roger, I'm curious what your pedal strokes are like. Are you all shaky and vibrate while you pedal along?  You seem to have an issue with them backing off pretty frequently.

I've been rocking my 2010 Revo since new, and never had a drive nut loosen on me that I can remember.
I carry spare Nylocs in my first aid kit but never needed one yet.

--- End quote ---

no, I would say my pedal strokes are smooth, I'm not a high effort/work the drive hard guy, more of a 6 to 7 hour steady effort guy.  I put more than 100 outings on the V2 drive that came with my 2012 PA12, then no issues with lots of outings on the GT drive from my i11s, I am now over 20 outings on the 180 that came with the new Outback.  And I have never had any issues with nuts loosening on any of my drives until the outing on CoosBay on May 29, when just 1 of the nuts almost fell off, the other 5 had not moved.  I had definitely given several of the nuts a bit of a tighten before that outing, but I occasionally tightened the nuts on my earlier drives as need, never had one loosen up.

I have also never needed to take apart any of my drives (upgraded one from ST to Turbo fins, replaced one bent mast, and put the solid crank arms on my V2, that's it), so I have never replaced any of the nuts, just a slight tightening now and then to keep the cable tension correct.

my guess now is that one of the cable ends on my new 180 drive had a sharp edge that, when I tightened it like half a turn before the May 29 outing, cut the nyloc material enough that it just lost all it's locking ability.

cheers, roger   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version